Who Filters Their Brewing Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say i don't filter my water, but i must say all this talk has got me thinking.

Did anyone pursue the technique submitted by dane in 2003 using the Brita water filter, did it work......, all should i just go with the method you guys are referring to ie though a inline filter casing

Danes Quick Water Filter

I AG brew only about 6 times a year doing only 23L batches. Is it worth doing this cheap and cheerfull method, or should i think about purchasing the water filtering stuff sold by craftbrewer and the like (no afilliation....etc)?

Thanks

Will

A picture says a 1000 words. :beerbang:

Warren -

DSC00369.jpg

I must say i don't filter my water, but i must say all this talk has got me thinking.

Did anyone pursue the technique submitted by dane in 2003 using the Brita water filter, did it work......, all should i just go with the method you guys are referring to ie though a inline filter casing

Danes Quick Water Filter

I AG brew only about 6 times a year doing only 23L batches. Is it worth doing this cheap and cheerfull method, or should i think about purchasing the water filtering stuff sold by craftbrewer and the like (no afilliation....etc)?

Thanks

Will

not to do Ross out of a sale but i've used the filter in a bucket trick for quite awhile and i'm still happy with it results.

cheers

yard

i use about 70 something liters on brew day.

i dont think i will be running it through the little filter in my jug :)

i have a spare filter housing so might get a carbon job.

I will be staying with my parents (oh god help me) while i change jobs and if i do some brewing there i will be using tank water, gead frogs and all.

I think i will definatly get a filter.

MMMMMM Dead frog ale..... could be good.

cheers

If you want to get one for a good price there's a virtual oversupply of them on Evilbay. This is the seller I got mine from IIRC it cost me around $30 (minus cartridge). Which was around $15

Water Filters

They're well worth the investment.

Warren -

If you want to get one for a good price there's a virtual oversupply of them on Evilbay. This is the seller I got mine from IIRC it cost me around $30 (minus cartridge). Which was around $15

Water Filters

They're well worth the investment.

Warren -

That's where I got my two filters, 1 clear and 1 blue housing both for $47 plus a box of 10x 1 micron carbon filters for $70 plus a box of 30x 0.5 micron sediment filters for $70. Just ring them 07 55800306 Gundrill Trading Pty Ltd, and NO afilliation, just good service from them ;) Link

Travelled around Oz for a while, because the other half is hyper about water, we fitted a carbon filter to the caravan drinking water tap. As you would imagine, water is sourced from many and varied supplies across this big land, bores, wells, tanks, disused quarries, desalination plants and even recycled in places. With the filter fitted it all tasted the same and she was happy which meant I was happy.

Used to get my brew water ready the day before and heat it a little to assist in dissipation of chlorine, now I get the water ready on brew day using a carbon filter and bring the PH down for mash steps but don't bother balancing water chemistry otherwise.

i use about 70 something liters on brew day.

i dont think i will be running it through the little filter in my jug :)

A mate of mine had a top idea. He uses a Britta filter bucket like dane's one, but instead of one filter, he drilled 4 holes in the bucket (which sits perfectly inside the top of the HLT) = 4x the flow rate. I'll be doing that on my next brewday.

Hi All,

great topic. We live in Sydney and used to drink tap water. Since we bought a counter top water filter, the water became really tasty and I noticed we drink more water and the beer tastes better, but this maybe a combination of things. We use it to wash vegetable and for cooking too. And at .02$ / litre, there's no looking back.

Just a word of warning to Sydney people, Sydney Water uses a chloramine decontamination system. Chloramine is a combination of Ammonia and Chlorine. I've heard several concerns over normal carbon filter as they will only remove the chlorine and leave the ammonia. So in doubt I bought a special chloramine cartridge. I still don't know if these are real risks but I'd let you know just in case.

Cheers,
Laurent

Danes Quick Water Filter

Thanks

Will
For 6 x 23L batches it would be ideal. 89c bunnings bucket fits nicely in top of fermenter.
That said i picked up a 2 cartridge system with tap and filters for $49.00. Fom ebay.
But the brita sytem works well.

Rich

Picked up a dual stage filter block housing with RO stage and storage tank on the weekend from a cleanup at my wife's family house ;)

The RO stage is too damn slow (11L per HOUR!!) so i turfed it and connected them up as a dual stage filter block only. Have to get some fittings and after doing some reading about chloramines (sydney water is FULL of it) i'm getting one of these:

http://www.psifilters.com.au/Pentek%20CGAC...mine%20spec.pdf

The guy sells them with a 0.5micron sediment filter (for Crypto/Giardia) for quite cheap as a set. Since using sodium met i've really noticed a difference in chloramine taste disappearing, but from doing some reading the ammonia will stick around. Seems you need a different filter block to get rid of the chlorine and ammonia.

Did use an ion exchange filter on a batch, but it removes calcium which isn't good for mash pH/efficiency. Spring water is good but watch out for the analysis - Peats Ridge which is very common contains almost zero Calcium and Zinc, half a Chelated Zinc tablet int he fermenter and a 1/4tsp of Gypsum in the mash water sees it right though.

Have to get some fittings and after doing some reading about chloramines (sydney water is FULL of it) i'm getting one of these:

http://www.psifilters.com.au/Pentek%20CGAC...mine%20spec.pdf

The guy sells them with a 0.5micron sediment filter (for Crypto/Giardia) for quite cheap as a set. Since using sodium met i've really noticed a difference in chloramine taste disappearing, but from doing some reading the ammonia will stick around. Seems you need a different filter block to get rid of the chlorine and ammonia.

All the filtration gear I've got Ben comes from that guy. Very helpful and responsive for the right price. I had a problem with a pressure reducer which he replaced very quickly no questions asked.

Too easy Gav, definitely will get onto it, no more spring water for me :)

Did you get the chloramine filter one?

Don't mean to start a war, but have a look at the price on the Pentek CBC-1 carts, $40 inc postage, that's cheaper than Ross...

I think i found the answer between the lines.

If you are trying to remove Chloramine using a filter alone it won't work, you have to get a special filter element. KMS/Campden/SMS will remove Chlorine from the chloramines and leave behind some ammonium ions that will normally be produced in a mash anyway from the protein compounds/amino acids. So if you're not filtering, add Campden or Sodium Met, if you're filtering to remove it make sure you have the filter which can deal with it.

Adding a pinch of Met as you say PoMo helps as an anti-oxidant anyway so it's probably worthwhile to add a pinch of it to your mash.

Too easy Gav, definitely will get onto it, no more spring water for me :)

Did you get the chloramine filter one?

Don't mean to start a war, but have a look at the price on the Pentek CBC-1 carts, $40 inc postage, that's cheaper than Ross...

Ohhh fighting words.........

I did get the chloramine, the three stager (that was water we used on the first ISB Brewday, you might remember I had about 80 litres of filtered stuff which we used for the mash, and yes it could well be why that hefeweis tastes so good!!!!) that we use for all our drinking and cooking water now....... oh and brewing too of course!!!

How long you been using Spring water??

Not been using springwater on every batch, just the Xmas case Kolsch and the last Boh Pils i did. Everything else just gets a bit of Sodium Met for chlorine and a bit of gypsum+epsom. Getting a filter now is perfect, since i won't have to buy springwater for the really pale beers.

That weizen does taste pretty good, shame it didn't taste like much without the Weizen yeast...

Awww, you didn't like my American wheat. :(

Those filters look good. :D

My ISB wheat tastes great - I filtered & kegged it on the weekend. Yum. I'll have to hold myself back to ensure I save you guys some for Saturday :chug: . Stu, Gav & Ben, any chance of bringing a sample of yours around so we can have a side by side comparison of the effects / results of 4 different yeasts?

I've been considering getting a filter setup for a while. Where do folk recommend? Anyone on EVILBAY?

sorry about the thread hijack :ph34r:

beers

Crozdog

Latest posts

Back