White spots on FV

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromesphere

Reaction score
Hi guys,

brewing my 4th brew, ran into something i havent seen before. I dry hopped my brew on wednesday (3 days ago). Lifted the lid, dropped them in (from the opened packet), closed the lid. Lid was off for like...10 seconds max.

Checked the brew this morning and there are white spots on the FV above the krausen crud. I have a feeling it was associated with the hopping because it is localised only to the one side that i dropped them in.

Brew tastes and smells the same, hoping this is localised to the FV and not the brew.

Decided to speed things up, cold crashed this morning. Going to bottle after 2 days to get it out of there. Dont like the idea of that shit on the FV near my beer! Maybe the bacteria can live on the FV but not in the brew (i hope)?

What do you think?

Funny cause i was far more careful with sterialising on this brew then the past 3!!

Cheers
CS

20150321_110803.jpg

I hope it's not an infection but if it is it's not got hold of your beer yet and you are on the right track with cold crashing asap and bottling ect.
Could it be that when you dumped the hops in there was some splashing of the beer & yeast on to the side. And if there's been any growth it could have just been the yeast component in it?

Could be some airborne spores got in but cant survive in the beer itself. You're probably on the right track with your course of action but id monitor the beer closely, especially if bottling

Yeah didnt think of that, could have been from splashing. Well, i'll press on and bottle it in the next 2 days! Would be a shame for it to spoil, it was dam nice :'(

That beer doesn't look like it's finished fermenting. It's still got a krausen. I wouldn't be rushing it in to bottles for fear of bottle bombs.

gravity has been stable for over a week, i think its finished.

For anyone following, bottled this beer last night. Still tastes AMAZING, gunna cry ...if... I lose it.

Was thinking about what mcalpine91 was saying and logically that white stuff probably is just a yeast colony growing outside of the brew. Day 3 in this picture looks almost exactly the same as what i had:

http://www.ethanperlstein.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/RM-timecourse.jpg

This would also indicate that the co2 had escaped...the white yeast stops growing near the krausen, perhaps there was a layer of CO2 above the surface of beer (or maybe i just cant see it)? And...if there WAS o2 in the FV, good thing i got it out of there :)

Anyway, my hopes are high again. I'll have a taste after a week in the bottle and make sure its on track.

Good to hear it's looking good so far.

You didn't mention how long it had been in the FV total, or that the SG was stable, so I was probably jumping to conclusions. My bad.

Keep us updated. :icon_cheers:

All good! Was in the fermenter total of almost exactly 2 weeks. Bottomed out at approx. 1.018, Brew designer predicted 1.016.

I'm going to crack one open early to slightly sate my anxiety (next couple of days). I'm relatively confident it will be ok though for reason I mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back