White Rabbit Dark Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fans of this beer might be interested to know they have an employment vacancy.

Link

So its been a while everything has proberly been brewed and sampled, how has everyone's White Rabbit clones turned out?

Ive only just bottled mine...so far so good!

EDIT: Using Screwtop's recipe from page 4, but with recultured WR yeast and Green Bullet instead of Super Alpha for bittering.

I noticed in the poaper this morning that Dan is selling six packs of the real thing for $16.90 - so if you are planning to make a clone, now is a good time to buy 6 bottles of yeast and get 6 bottles of beer for free!

matilda bay also has a new beer on sale there.

anyone tried Doog's recipe from page 4?
Looks pretty good to me.

Hey Guys,

Two quick questions:

How do you rouse the yeast during fermentation?
Has anyone used the WR yeast in a different style of beer yet?

Cheers,

Michael

Hey Guys,

Two quick questions:

How do you rouse the yeast during fermentation?
Has anyone used the WR yeast in a different style of beer yet?

Cheers,

Michael
I did an extract version of Screwtops recipe (post 24). Came out very nice. Gave a bottle to a mate to try, and he said he thought it tasted like white rabbit. :D
The yeast is very easy to reculture, and i found no need to re-rouse. I make a 1 litre starter on a stir plate, aerate the wort well, and ferment at a stable temp.
I just split a batch of a belgian style ale, in one i used 1214, while the other white rabbit. Probably not the best style to do a comparison but will be interesting to taste the result, and see how much difference the yeast does make.
Only been fermenting for a week, so a little way off still.

I did an extract version of Screwtops recipe (post 24). Came out very nice. Gave a bottle to a mate to try, and he said he thought it tasted like white rabbit. :D
The yeast is very easy to reculture, and i found no need to re-rouse. I make a 1 litre starter on a stir plate, aerate the wort well, and ferment at a stable temp.
I just split a batch of a belgian style ale, in one i used 1214, while the other white rabbit. Probably not the best style to do a comparison but will be interesting to taste the result, and see how much difference the yeast does make.
Only been fermenting for a week, so a little way off still.
Hi Dans

Do you mind posting your extract recipe. Looking at trying one of these soon.

Cheers

Well just looked at my notes and i didn't use Screwtops recipe like i thought. I did get it off here somewhere.

2.81 kg Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 78.1 %
0.39 kg Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 10.8 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.5 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.5 %
33.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
29.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU

Cheers. Did you mash the wheat malt or was it a caramalt?

Ok so yesterday i put on a double batch biab WRDA clone attempt loosly baised on screwys recipie
here's the recipe
on July 23

made 24L => OG 1.116 (from brix conversion)
watered down to 46L 1056 @ 20degC or 13.3 brix (either refractometer or hydrometer is out a bit)
pitched WRDA starter (from 6 pack)

WRDA clone - v1 - American Brown Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 46.000 L
Boil Size: 46.000 L
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 75%
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.056
ABV: 0.0%
Bitterness: 45.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 51 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pilsner JW Grain 9.000 kg Yes No 78% 1 L
Chocolate Malt JW Grain 1.175 kg Yes No 73% 450 L
Carafa Grain 300.000 g Yes No 70% 337 L
Carafa III Grain 300.000 g Yes No 70% 525 L
Carafoam Grain 400.000 g Yes No 72% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 400.000 g Yes No 72% 120 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time IBU
Sticklebract NZ 09 11.7% 66.000 g Boil 1.000 hr 36.8
Cascade 7.8% 46.000 g Boil 15.000 min 8.5
Sticklebract NZ 09 11.7% 46.000 mg Boil 0.000 s 0.0

======================
======================

I'll tell ya what it's like when i taste it

Ive just cracked my first bottle. I dont have an original to do a side-by-side but working from memory its very, very close!

Hell even if it aint it's still bloody nice! :beerbang:

I liked this beer also. Had a few bottles yesterday. Recipe wise I was thinking Smurtos golden ale with some carafa for colour. Thats what I thought it tasted like.

Everyone who tried it liked it.

Alright, im trying to culture some of this yeast and i got a few questions. Im fairly new to yeast culturing, i've only done coopers before.

I've done the dregs from 6 bottles and 100ml water and 10g LDME, followed all the sanitary steps. Its been 2 days and there is a little amount of stuff in there, maybe a thin layer diameter of 10cent coin.

Just wondering; How long will it take to step up to full batch around 87ml? How many steps? how do u know when a step is done? What step ups should I use and how long roughly would the yeast take to get thorough each batch?

Thanks alot.

Just give it a few more days, if you dont have a stir plate, swirl it around as often as you can, then just pitch it as is. I used a 500ml/50g starter so you can add more if you feel the need but you'll probably get away with using what you've got.

Just give it a few more days, if you dont have a stir plate, swirl it around as often as you can, then just pitch it as is. I used a 500ml/50g starter so you can add more if you feel the need but you'll probably get away with using what you've got.

I think you'd struggle with that amount of yeast.
I'd be building it up to a litre at least.

I think you'd struggle with that amount of yeast.
I'd be building it up to a litre at least.

+1 build it up to at least a litre.... leave the current starter for a few more days, crash chill, decant off starter beer then add another 1 litre of cooled 1040 wort.... give it a massive shake to aerate leave for a few more days. If decanting to just add slurry shake every now and then, but don't shake after initial pitching if not decanting.

Latest posts

Back