White Labs Vs Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jazman said:
sorry slugger im not keen on the danish try the bohemiem lager 2124 is my next one to try hte dried yeast came out good and a few brewers like that yeast
Is there any reason you do not like the danish Jazman?

isn't the WLP009 just plain olde coopers yeast? might as well culture er up out of a longneck.

someone mentioned the WL budejovice yeast above, just a personal experience but i could not get the sulfur out of the pilsener i made with that stuff, even after 2 months' lagering it still had a boiled egg whiff...
I used WLP830 for my last pils, that barely needs any lagering at all

"isn't the WLP009 just plain olde coopers yeast? might as well culture er up out of a longneck."

The understanding I have of the process is that the yeast used in the bottle conditioning is different to the yeast used for fermentation. Also after being packaged , shipped, warehoused, distributed, stuck out on the loading dock, sit it out on display, chuck it in the cool room, how healthy do you think that yeast slurry in the bottom of the bottle is?

Jim_Levet said:
"isn't the WLP009 just plain olde coopers yeast? might as well culture er up out of a longneck."

The understanding I have of the process is that the yeast used in the bottle conditioning is different to the yeast used for fermentation. Also after being packaged , shipped, warehoused, distributed, stuck out on the loading dock, sit it out on display, chuck it in the cool room, how healthy do you think that yeast slurry in the bottom of the bottle is?
Plain old Cooper's yeast is a bit rough. I'm quiet a confessed yeast a-holic and I have a very health sample in my yeast farm.

Now I have no idea where you are, I'm in Adelaide - Cooper's home city - and the slurry from a pale ale or sparkling ale correctly handles will give you brewing quantities of yeast within about 5 days maximum.

Because the yeast is a "commercial" yeast doesn't imply it is inferior to any other yeast. I won't comment one way or the other regarding whether the yeast is the fermentation strain but well it should be fairly obvious. ;)

Steve [at most 4ml.]

G'day fella's,my name is mark, im new on the forum, having just found it today. Anyway, i have relatively easy acces to both of these products, and must say, i only prefer wyeast because, you swell the pack, and can see how active the yeast is. HOWEVER, i also use white labs as well, and find both to be top quality products. My faves are:

White labs burton ale.
White labs Dry english ale.
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch.
Wyeast Czech pils.

As you can see, no discrimination there, also i use a starter for all my worts, so it doesnt matter about original size.

Back