White Labs Vs Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive used both the white labs calif ale II and the wyeast irish ale (1084) the calif ale i pitched a 'megastarter' eg, about 6L... that was for my christmas crippler, the irish ale yeast was a great yeast, loved it, i made 6 stubs from the first starter i made, and used them and then stepped again from one of the 6 into another 6, even after 5 months in the fridge the starters fired up quickly...

I'm about to try one of the new wyeast mega activator style packs, - the american lager, its going to go into my first full wort boil extract beer, first lager, first full wort, :)

What liquid yeast would you recommend for a european lager similar to Nastro Azzuro or Becks or something similar, I plan to make a lot of this in the winter to drink next summer..

I have read that when keeping yeast you should get rid of the wort that it sitting under and put cooled boiled water.
E.G
Make up a big starter once done. Poor off the wort fill with water. Give a shake. Let it settle. Poor the water off. Put some more in give it a shake. ect... until the water is fairly clear and no Malt left.. Then bottle and store as usual..
Just another way of storing it that I have read in the yeast farming thread

Slugger,

The Wyeast 'Danish Lager' is good for those commercial 'Euro-lager' styles. My faves in the Wyeast lager yeasts are the Bavarian Lager - great for Bocks and Ocktoberfest styles, and the Czech Pilsner yeast. Both great yeasts IMHO. For what you are doing though, I'd definitely at least try the Danish Lager.

Shawn.

Thanks Shawn..

I was just having a look around and thought maybe this: Wyeast 2247 European Lager would be a good yeast...

You would recommend the Wyeast 'Danish Lager' over this one though?

Thanx

I haven't used the 2247. Give it a go. The Danish Lager is good for that 'Euro-lager' style - not a really strongly flavoured yeast, and finishes relatively crisply. It's up to you.

Shawn.

The Danish lager is meant to be a mellow rounded Dortmunder-style. If that's what you're after. I have also headr good things about the Euro lager blend, but no personal experience with it.

Note to LINZ, from above: The yeast was a Platinum release and was White Labs Czech Budejovice yeast. I thought that the story re 1 day for each month from packaging date only applied to lag time with smack packs. If it applied to White Labs pitchable, they don't tell you on the label IIRC. Still have the vial at home. Will check it out.

I do feel a bit cheated. You get a "special" yeast, limited release and Platinum label; so you expect good things. Then the wild yeast get first chop at the wort.
I saved 2 bottles from the batch, and shouldn't have. It'll still be filthy today.

It's a bit late to contact the company, and there is a reasonable amount of doubt about my yeast handling. Not the pitching, but the storage (in and out of the fridge). :(

I use the White Labs vials at work & at home. I get about 4500-6000 litres from my 1 vial. Thats good value for $16.50 !
Cheers
Gerard

Hey Gerard. You must get buckets of yeast from your brewpub fermentations. Bet you don't have a problem with pitching the homebrew! Do you have to stand well back when you drop the yeast? ;)

We produce a heap of yeast slurry which makes brewing at home pretty easy, no risk of under-pitching.We take the trub & dump it, then take the cream for the next brew. I take some cream in small buckets for anybody that asks, but that is a messy deal. If I get a request for yeast I generally take my Esky for safe transportation. Forgot the Esky one day and thought it would be OK to get home without it. I was about 1 km from home & I get a red light. I thought I recognised a familiar smell & sure enough the yeast was crawling out from under the lid and all over the seat. A few months later when I sold the van you could still get a whiff of Southern German Lager Yeast. Oh my mate got a few brews out of what was left!
Cheers
Gerard

Is that why you sold the beast?? Being followed by a clutch (?) of Schnauzers drippng at the mouth is a bit unsettling?

Wes

i love the 2206 for lagers it makes good euro lagers tooo
the danish is ok but i prefer the 2206

and i have good results with the saflager 34/70

i think the danish is a low flocc yeast

Jazman - Would you say the 2206 or the Danish yeah would make more of a crisper/refreshing finish?

Hey Sluggerdog,

I was in Brewers choice in Chapel Hill last week and noticed they have a bunch of new Whitelabs vials in. Probably worth a look to see if there's anything that suits you. They have the limited release Czech Budjevoice Lager, from memory.

- Snow

Cheers Snow,

David who has just bought the 3 brewers choice stores told me they are upgrading their products to include all the extra goodies that the stores never did have.

Expect to see some changes to these stores over the next few months from what he was saying.

All good news for us hey!

Cheers

I have used both and like both.
I use the 2206 and as jazman seid, its great.
I wouldnt say it produces a "crisp" beer as it finishes very malty. It is beas for fest beers and bocks.
I used it to make my "smokin GT" and its great.

I use the WLP023 Burton ale and it is wonderfull. I tried the wyeast 1098 british ale a few times but the burton is better. Its smooth and has a wonderfull flavour profile. Every time i have used it to firment a 23 Liter AG brew in a 30 Liter firmenter it has come out the airlock at 20 deg c (its low firm temp) :eek: . Its a top cropper and is messy if it does this. I now install a blow off tube to a coke bottle full of sterile water when i use it.

I have also used the WLP001 heaps of times and is great in just about anything.

I have just recently started using WLP 830 German lager yeast.
This stuff is great. I made an AG lager to 1.050 and it brewed to 1.008 at 10 deg c in 7 days. thats about 83% attenuation. cleared out well to after a couple of weeks in cc.

here is a pic of the WLP 023 with about 20 cm of head space :eek:

Wyeast 2007 is nice to. malty and clean. a bit of age and it gets that crisp pilsner finish to it.
The WLP004 irish ale yeast is another good one for stouts and porters.

I agree with an early post bu Jayse. If you can make a sterile sterter and split the yeast without infecting it they are both great. If not and you want to pour the stuff strait in the the WL teasts are great.

My vote is for the White Lab yeasts though.

wlp023 is a really good yeast. mine went off as well and hte results were brilliant. this yeast as the first liquid yeast i used.

sorry slugger im not keen on the danish try the bohemiem lager 2124 is my next one to try hte dried yeast came out good and a few brewers like that yeast

I just got my ingredients delivered, hopefully 2 brews this weekend.Gerard mentioned that the White Labs 009 Australian Ale yeast is making a comeback. Has anybody used this yeast or know anything about it?

Back