Which Jops For A Dubbel?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
I'm going to try my first dubbel, never done anything like it. My grain bill is made up of Pils (91.7%), small amounts of caramunich, caraaroma and carafa 1.

Would love it to come out really malty and reasonably fruity. I generally dont drink many darker beers, but had a la trappe dubbel last night and loved it (had already ordered the grain for my attempt)

Anyway, any hop and IBU suggestions? I think i'll hop lightly, keep it a sweeter, maltier sort of beer. If anyone knows what hops are used in la trappe dubbel that'd be handy to know too...

Cheers

Edit: title may be a little creative. Meant hops, obviously. Cant work out how to change it though...

Goldings and/or any nobel to 18IBUs.

I think that's what's in Chimay Red. :icon_drool2:

I used Styrian Goldings (from Slovenia) in my last batch with great results.
They have a really low AA% and the aroma reminds me of orange/breakfast marmalade
A Very traditional hop for belgium numbers

I was very happy with the batch of Dubbel Up I brewed last year, which uses Styrian Goldings at -60 and Saaz at -10 to 18 IBU. A notable difference to your recipe is the inclusion of dark candi syrup, so you may want to keep that in mind.

Cheers,
tallie

as above use a dark candi

here's one I did last week, not in fermenter yet so it may be crap :)

eerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: belgium dub
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dubbel
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 50.20 L
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 13.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 59.07 %
2.00 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 16.88 %
1.00 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 8.44 %
0.75 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.33 %
0.10 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain 0.84 %
70.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
10.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.50 kg Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 4.22 %
0.50 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4.22 %
2 Pkgs SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL Yeast #T-58) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.85 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 32.55 L of water at 70.4 C 65.0 C

Notes:
------

looks like maybe i should get some Goldings then... I've got:

Hallertau
Cascade
Citra
POR
Simcoe
Chinook
Amarillo
Centennial
Saaz
Magnum

(i know, a lot of US hops...)

Any of them possibly subsitute? Otherwise i'll grab some Goldings as well...

Might go with the dark candi sugar too. If it doesnt take too long to do (make).

thanks for replies

looks like maybe i should get some Goldings then... I've got:

Hallertau
Cascade
Citra
POR
Simcoe
Chinook
Amarillo
Centennial
Saaz
Magnum

(i know, a lot of US hops...)

Any of them possibly subsitute? Otherwise i'll grab some Goldings as well...

Might go with the dark candi sugar too. If it doesnt take too long to do (make).

thanks for replies

Minor amount of citra will do the trick. Might need to have them as a late addition to make sure the IBU don't get out of hand. or alternatively, an early of a small amount of Citra, and whack some saaz and hallertauer at the end for a little aroma.

Goomba

Thanks Goomba.

I might run with that and go with a tiny bit of Citra early, then some hallertau late to about 20-25 ibus.

Cheers

Minor amount of citra will do the trick. Might need to have them as a late addition to make sure the IBU don't get out of hand. or alternatively, an early of a small amount of Citra, and whack some saaz and hallertauer at the end for a little aroma.
Goomba

Whatever you idiot! Why would citra be good.....you may aswell suggest any hop under the sun.

Stef use the halletaur or saaz because they are both good noble hops: saaz will give a subtle spicey earthy character, while halletaur will give clean character with hints of lemon

You could use any of the hops you listed as long as they were only used as a bittering addition but why waste them. I'd use the below as the first two are at least traditional and the third has a clean bitterness with not much in the way of hop flavour.

Hallertau
Saaz
Magnum

With this beer it really isn't the hops which are being showcased, its the malt, sugar and maybe a bit from the belgian yeast. Keep it low in IBUs and clean enough to not be over whelming in Belgian fruitiness. Thats my interpretation of the style :icon_cheers:

Cheers,

TS

Thanks guys. Maybe i should steer clear of the Citra then! I might use Magnum for bittering, as its heaps higher in AA%, so a bit more efficient.

I'm not too worried about style etc to tell you the truth- just want to make delicious beer...

Thanks guys. Maybe i should steer clear of the Citra then! I might use Magnum for bittering, as its heaps higher in AA%, so a bit more efficient.

I'm not too worried about style etc to tell you the truth- just want to make delicious beer...

IMHO
I would steer clear of ANY high AA% hop in a Belgium, if you want something traditional.
Long boils (90mins) with low alpha's.

Not an idiot, just someone who has figured out that Citra and Nelson Sauvin can be used in English and Continental Ales, so long as you actually know how to use it.

The problem most have here (and it's not a bad problem to have) is that they go OTT with hop additions (hell, I've seen some of the recipes concocted). The trouble is that some hops (Citra, Nelson, Willamette, even POR) need to be used carefully. When used appropriately, they yield fantastic beers.

OP wanted reasonably fruity, Citra provides it in bucketloads with very little effort and it doesn't tend to yield harsh bitterness that other higher AA% hops do. I know it isn't perfectly in dubbel style, but who's being a style nazi? I went on what he had and let's face it, Saaz and Hallertau both add a nice spiciness and good aroma, but aren't fruity.

Goomba

When used appropriately, they yield fantastic beers.

True, but...

18 IBUs of Citra is inappropriate in a Belgian because it'll probably swamp all the delicious yeast-derived flavours/aromas. It'll be delicious, but it might render the Belgian yeast moot.

I completely murdered 3068 once making a hopfenweizen. Might as well have used US05 as the banana and clove were strangled dead. Great beer though!

True, but...

18 IBUs of Citra is inappropriate in a Belgian because it'll probably swamp all the delicious yeast-derived flavours/aromas. It'll be delicious, but it might render the Belgian yeast moot.

I completely murdered 3068 once making a hopfenweizen. Might as well have used US05 as the banana and clove were strangled dead. Great beer though!

Good point, didn't think about Citra overcoming yeast.

18IBU of Citra is a damn tasty beer, though totally out of style. Sorry OP.

Slightly OT, but isn't it funny how you can make a beer that is completely wrong to what you were achieving, yet so tasty. I think some of the best beers I've ever produced have been complete stuff ups of another style. Such as the red ale that ended up looking like Newcy Brown and tasting like the best AAA ever.

EKG it is then.

That's given me an idea.

Latest posts

Back