Which is the better beer taps to keep? (I think they are both Brumby)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisolver

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Picked up a few beer fonts (1 x andale font and the other being a bracton font)... I only want to keep a set of one of them but each font came with different taps and not sure which ones are the best to keep.

I know the ones on the right in a brumby tap but what's the one on the left? is it just a brumby as well but just made by someone else? (second picture is a close up on the left tap). Is there any difference? is either better than the other?

3zbwV7yKxqTiJGNqpapH_KchRUGJa0xJqWE6CzsseKhscxbSK2MXammdplggirea4jXHZJeglbvL-Yxq4nMC9Zs9-CYSCuF_Dr9QqOmSn_hkjAqFiDUrt1uvs-V2pI-dTCX9pHRbgkvXX3bZKX6U4oA0ECH3TjWmFQnRXn3fBYWdDlWy5v57xkj0QP-bi6NlAVPVfIws-OkeEZErhqPtoy3h4tb2r1n0l_skLaPHbv5Rc9FVncF9BbiBOhN7EZUYNCZoR_zyeqOcxHe5JMovD3zm4kQ9j_R-ZzmTGqAIm1IBdMW2PWfhi5nKjQiZBBFVjFIwMU4nZ3gaZOBVKKbxdSBrH4AJiIikAg1uJbtRCyG4pEqPfT43pD-PTtalFwDumfxe36fT9wyIq4X2Awsbd-SzPGo0CpkE7iwD8Sn91Fv1GhmhNORHFZEd-tp-4LN0HSEllCIwFCYMJEG2flV5mqnW0McUIhTCCzzPT5GYJfKPiN7tVKcRe6BWZ6ei7MedoGXr0ISL6MSfwDtFYPzkcnoI0M6OZ_d5etGBctQBVQWy0nDfPWYF13L8hWOpA7JbNPVDiSHt4cnBzR-9yLAcgTwLFXj9jGdTasOM_sO-WoWxWmQbremoRY3BBw=w1267-h950-no

p9F4vgtyOBwscrQweDbe7d_6soB3xduhOoRJQ2Mai0IiK5ANqaq7YS8bwHk_5wQ8nmnMo4YDVmxGSIYczRIT_FMP9aql7OTedKpodHthyQhT15_ptOFvKZlGyL5h1xaQsojFrSDfgJ5oQ6qY79l5jyNd7KpkvrI6IRMI1qWGINsMHFhY760HeixhFam_BmFzrG59wlI70FAvU5oExCxLCgDHdgb5WT-TA6KE4hOHvFpF0lJS1bbPwXqVYWOesvmxMJhG3b8KSBhSXyHtIwyWlf6Ddc1trf8V8Nb0QxchdznjF5v1UxE5a2Vt6q_RbpFg5a03YlwkjH4_Z7Th6Df98t2-ireqU0_Cd8q7cel4AFDmEz5QQLaPOTMr5p7BoyzThPb3AVzDG0M_-7aOdp4_WzJ6G8LqwglQdZtBwSTl48zd28JHmYfl1JmwBermpUp1GKPuIHdYj5VoncGmWKN5Dvyd0Pnf9xgNHFU7DATDMxmcWB-gq142IqI9wObA2pWnNll9vbiWY9A48ciil3ULV-c_Z2siNM6c7TAOg2G_S6Nz0MAdJdOm_ubmV5zAqoZbhTIsvUVtOFSB2J62N6AqCduFvItt2FI33ki146iXyhr-hhAYGpZ17g=w1267-h950-no

Ta

-Chris

The one on the left is made by Lancer, the one on the right is an Andale tap. I think they are functionally the same and it wont matter which you keep.
Note that the snap lock connectors aren't the same, I would see what you had in snap-lock adaptors (joins tap to font) and go with taps that fit the font.
I personally prefer the Andale system, but not enough to knock back either if it was a full system (Font, Snap-lock, Tap), If I recall the Andale is officially called a Brumby Tap, the Lancer one is called Taipan and their connector is called a flat lock.
Mark

Cheers mark! Looks like i'll keep the Andale font with the snaplock connectors and but swap them over to use the lancer taps.. They look a little nicer I think.. Do these commercial brumby taps stick closed if not used like the cheaper versions that you can buy?

Thanks bud!

Not if they are cleaned and lubricated properly.
M

Cheers mark! Looks like i'll keep the Andale font with the snaplock connectors and but swap them over to use the lancer taps.. They look a little nicer I think.. Do these commercial brumby taps stick closed if not used like the cheaper versions that you can buy?

Thanks bud!

They will stick, yes.
The benefit you have is that you pull the tap off the font and run under some warm water every so often (or whenever they start sticking....) and you are sweet.
Also in the heat of summer, store your taps in the fridge so the first pour isn't foam

Thanks bud!
The tap you have taken a close up of has a pin lock shank. The other is a fat lock shank. They are fundamentally the same tap. ( The tap kits are identical.) The one in your hand is a Mecca Iridium tap. http://www.mecca.co.nz/beer taps.htm . Lancer no longer import these from New Zealand, but kits are still widely available.

You should never have a problem with the taps sticking if you use a suitable lubricant Like this one. Only a tiny bit is needed, and beer foam stability is not compromised.

Skerra o ring grease.jpg

Last edited:
Back