Which Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QIK86

Reaction score
Hi all,

Do all hops go well together, or are there some combo's that shouldn't be used?

I'm planning a toucan IPA and was going to just use Fuggles pellets, but thought I also have Cascade, Chinook and Amarillo in the freezer. Which of these would work ok with the Fuggles? Any? All?

Hi all,

Do all hops go well together, or are there some combo's that shouldn't be used?

I'm planning a toucan IPA and was going to just use Fuggles pellets, but thought I also have Cascade, Chinook and Amarillo in the freezer. Which of these would work ok with the Fuggles? Any? All?

What quantity of the other 3 do you have? Depending on what stage & what amount you use those would probably dominate fuggles. You could leave out the Fuggles and use a combination of the other 3 for an American IPA. What cans are you using?

Should have around 90g of Fuggles, 100g of Cascade, 75g of Chinook and 45g of Amarillo from memory.

If the American hops would dominate the Fuggles, I'd rather just leave them out and up the amount of Fuggles. I've used the American ones a few times now and wanted to try something a bit different.

Should have around 90g of Fuggles, 100g of Cascade, 75g of Chinook and 45g of Amarillo from memory.

If the American hops would dominate the Fuggles, I'd rather just leave them out and up the amount of Fuggles. I've used the American ones a few times now and wanted to try something a bit different.

Answered your own question there :) ....just use the fuggles.... learn & enjoy.

cheers Ross

Fuggles work great in a toucan as they add aroma and flavour without upping the already bittering from the cans. I have made the mistake of using a fairly bitter can as base goo in a partial brew, and adding additional bittering hops like Newport and have ended up with a couple of brews so bitter that they would curdle milk at 500 metres.

I'll be using Coopers Real Ale cans, but I'm adding an extra kg of malt extract as well, to help balance the bitterness somewhat.

So, Fuggles all the way for this one.

But just for future reference, should hop combinations be kept to hops within the same style (american, english, etc)?

Back