Which Bottles To Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone considered champers bottles ? I find them easy to get and they have a roll top that you can cap with a bench capper. Get a different bell for your super automatica and get the larger caps and away you go. I heard that champers is carbed up to 6 atm so i'm pretty sure you cant turn them into bombs no matter how bad you are. The glass is green mostly but they are REALLY THICK and I use them heaps and have had no problems.

Cheers Brocky

Be careful with Bundaberg ginger beer bottles, I had an Dunkelweizen that was slightly overcarbed and on a hot day several that we in these bottles became bombs whereas the euro stubbies and aussie longnecks were ok.

I like them for beer and agree with your reasons just be careful with carbonation levels as I think they are not as strong as some other bottles.

Stu

I too considered using these ginger beer bottles for beer until I thought of checking
the weight of the bottle's glass - as well as the glass weight of other bottle types I
had around - see below.

Bottom line is I think the Bundy bottles may be too risky to use. People here have
noted that James Squire stubbies have been known to blow and the Bundy stubbies
have the same amount of glass to contain more volume than the J.S. stubbies so
the Bundy ones are probably even dodgier.

Anyway, it dawned on me that there was a bottle recycling within 5mins of where
I live so had a look and they had heaps the Coopers longnecks for sale (40cents
each - even cheaper than the PET bottles from the supermarkets and I got to trade
my empty stubbies for them at 4 to 1. Some of these long necks even had stickers
by some home brewers on them :D .

200g : 375mL : Bundaberg ginger beer
200g : 330mL : James Squire Sundown Lager
250g : 330mL : Waldies Lager (made by Grand Ridge)
545g : 750mL : Coopers longnecks

[ approx. weight : vol : bottle type ]

Tom.

Ok DD

The green bottles will probably be ok for a couple of brews but generally the stubbies are a PITA to bottle and clean. You need tallies and preferably crown seals. Coopers are best and IMO the old XXXX tallie are the best. Screwtops are generally thinner at the crown are prone to chipping.

Cheers

Chappo

coopers tallies. Coopers do the brew kits and have the large crown seal bottles with the brewer in mind. Also justifies you drinking 4 cartons of Coopers (i drink it for the bottles only!!!)

Prost!

Well funny thing is I have some of all of the above!

I have:
150 odd Grolsch swing tops (and about 1 carton of crown seals 330ml)
60 odd long necks ranging from VB to XXXX and some I dug up in the back yard (talk about HEAVY they weigh almost twice a XXXX long neck!)
50 odd UK 500ml bottles
and <drum roll> more than 600 stubbies (J.S. (345), Little Creatures (345), Fat Yak (345), misc Euro brews (all greens 330).

Yep me and My Dad take our brewing seriously, and yes a stubbie is about right with dinner, and when friends drop round (saves on dish washing) too. The Grolsch and long necks are just for special brews....

And just to clarify, we've never had a bomb, and we use a bench capper. We also only really brew all grain too.

Thomas.

Back