Which Bittering Hop For An English Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most retailers sell plugs. If they don't, ask. I have no idea how they are treated.

Seems wierd,

We have Apples from NZ, oranges from North and South America, bananas and other fruits and seafood from China and the list goes on but........only hop plugs are OK?
gf

(PS: American Northern Brewer for bittering an English ale :D )

Fuggles? bleurch! Not a fan.

I've generally been of the same opinion, but then heard recently that Meantime Porter uses Fuggles and I rate it as one of the best beers I've ever tasted.
I kinda want to revisit Fuggles, but can't bring myself to brew 20L if I get that same earthy/mushroom flavour.

There is only one English Bittering hop in my opinion that is 'Target'

pumpy :)

I rate Pilgrim. It reminds me a lot of Challenger but with a higher AA%.

Have personnally only brewed 10+ brews with these hops, but I really liked Fuggles and EKG.

plugs fit through the hole in the pommy cast conditioned barrels
never use these as brewing aids more for dry hopping (as opposde 2 ferment hopping)
do your best
go the golden ale kid (cundon)

As far as I know, the pressure of 'plugging' the hops through an extrusion die creates sufficient heat to negate quarantine issues, thus we get US cascade plugs and not flowers.

And Mika, I am right behind you on the fuggles tip, I dislike any beer I can taste fuggles in. I have bought it once only, and think it is waaaay too earthy. If some yeast byproducts can cost points in comp, so should fuggles. That actually makes me want to see if I can brew a beer I like with fuggles.

I use target for my UK bittering if not using EKG, but it is only because I ran out of northdown and have been slowly chewing through a kilo of the stuff. I would prefer northdown by an ENGLISH mile. Baaaaa hahahaha. OK, I have had my fun.

I love brewing UK ales, but for a while i have gone to a neutral high AA hop for my bittering addition, galena. I'll be stuffed if i can pick a flavour. I tried target a while ago, but i found the bitterness harsh. Maybe im tight, but i save my EKG, challenger ( yummo ), First gold ( Ducks nuts ) etc for late in the boil where i get more flavour and aroma.

what is a good amount of Styrians to dry hop?

I have an ESB fermenting on 1469 at the moment and a pack of styrians await... :beer:

I use about 60g of styrian, 50g in cube and 30g in fermenter in a basic ale. Not direct to fermenter - I use a coffee plunger to act as a filter. It does depend on the style of ale though, the stronger the ale the more styrian I go for. It won't add bitterness, is an aroma addition.

Fuggles should only be used in beers called 'Victa', 'Masport' or 'Honda'.
Because what you wind up drinking tastes like the clippings from a lawnmower catcher.
Grassy, earthy, woody - yep, lawn clippings.
I wonder if anyone has actually hopped a beer with lawn clippings? If they did then if might taste like a beer using fuggles. :lol:

EKG all the way. I have old timers in my club who've brewed great stuff for 30 years or more and that's all they use in all their beers. Tried and true, dependable, nice soft bittering and flavour that's hard to get wrong in various amounts. A reliable hop that's great to have handy in the brew inventory.

Hopper.

I love Fuggles :wub:

Use it as the only hop in many of my porters and stouts.

Also use in combination with EKG or styrians in classic bitters :chug:

I don't understand the anti-fuggles brigade either.

Earthiness and porter or stout works fine and dandy. Good in an esb with EKG.

I am also a fan of fuggles.
Though I will admit I dry hopped with them for the first time a couple of brews ago and when I tried the beer at two weeks it did have an aroma and taste like mouldy hay.

However this brew is around 6 weeks old now and that earthy musty aroma and flavour has gone.
I really think those who don't like the taste of fuggles by itself should try it as a late hop along with say EKG to get just a hint of that fuggle flavour in the background. Yummo

My thoughts on fuggles anyway.

Cheers Brad

I am also a fan of fuggles.
Though I will admit I dry hopped with them for the first time a couple of brews ago and when I tried the beer at two weeks it did have an aroma and taste like mouldy hay.

However this brew is around 6 weeks old now and that earthy musty aroma and flavour has gone.
I really think those who don't like the taste of fuggles by itself should try it as a late hop along with say EKG to get just a hint of that fuggle flavour in the background. Yummo

My thoughts on fuggles anyway.

Cheers Brad

Does Northern Brewer give off the same earthy / mouldy hay taste? Has anyone experienced this?

Does Northern Brewer give off the same earthy / mouldy hay taste? Has anyone experienced this?
Nope. I bloody love NB. It gives a definite woody character that persists, but it is pleasant and kind of a clean woody flavour. I've only used GER though. I sub for POR.

That is my preference bad based on my experience.

Last 2 bitters I used plugs, fuggles ekg then threw some pellets, styrians in the cube

Plugs made it that extra bit special in my opinion real smooth & the fuggles didnt spoil it for me

Agree that Northern Brewer gives off some earthiness but without the herbal grassy thing. Sometimes you almost get a vanilla flavour that's reminiscent of Stryian Goldings. Thumbs up on Northern Brewer. Didn't comment on this hop because I am using US Northern Brewer. Also have some Bramling Cross (a UK hop) from one of the sponsors which I've never used, so interested in anyone's thoughts on that one and how it's come up for them.

Mouldy hay and fuggles is an apt description. Those saying it's great combined with other hops - just try it without that hop and you've got a better beer. :)

I am possibly being a tad harsh on the Fug though - to be honest I have done some english bitters with Fuggle straight through and they have come up very nice. It's just a hop that often you can't serve in a beer fresh as the lawn/hay flavour can be too much. That's what's annoyed me about it in the past.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back