Where To Drink Beers In Hawaii

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Red Rocket Brewery
Reaction score
Hey Brother brewers,

I'm off to Hawaii on Wednesday the 4th November for a week of relaxation (with the wife and kids) and would like to now if there are any "must visit" micros or pubs where one can have a nice beer.
Will be in Oahu staying at the Outrigger on the beach

Franko

Hey Brother brewers,

I'm off to Hawaii on Wednesday the 4th November for a week of relaxation (with the wife and kids) and would like to now if there are any "must visit" micros or pubs where one can have a nice beer.

Franko

last time I was there this was a good brew pub dont let the flower petals get in your beer Frank

Kona Brewing Company
Kailua-Kona Pub & Brewery
75-5629 Kuakini Highway
Kailua Kona, Hawaii 96740

808-334-BREW (2739)
Business Office: 808-334-1133
Fax: 808-334-1884
[email protected]

pumpy :)

Ali'i Brewing Co. (Microbrewery) phone: 808-531-BEER
500 Alakawa St. suite 220
Honolulu, HI 96187 Reviews MAP IT!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brew Moon / Honolulu (Brewpub) phone: 808-593-0088
1200 Ala Moana Blvd
Ward Center
Honolulu, HI 96814 Website Reviews MAP IT!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fish & Game Brewing Co. (Brewpub) phone: 808-669-3474
4405 Honoapi'ilani Highway
Maui, HI Reviews MAP IT!
Gordon Biersch Brewing Co. / Honolulu (Brewpub) phone: 808-599-4877 fax: 808-537-3287
1 Aloha Tower Market Place
Honolulu, HI 96813 Website Reviews MAP IT!
Hapa's Brew Haus And Rest. (Brewpub) phone: 808-879-9001 fax: 808-879-5322
41 East Lipoa Street
Maui, HI 96753 Email Reviews MAP IT!
Kona Brewing Co (Microbrewery) phone: 808-329-BREW fax: 808-334-1884
75-5629 Kuakini Hwy
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Reviews MAP IT!
Mehana Brewing Co (Microbrewery) phone: 808-934-8211
275 E. Kawili St
Hilo, HI 96720 Reviews MAP IT!
Molokai Brewing Co (Brewpub) phone: 808-553-5187 fax: 808-553-3979
10 Mohala suite 21
PO BOX 1859
Kaunakakai, HI 96748 Email Website Reviews MAP IT!
Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch/ and Crabs (Brewpub) phone: 808-545-7979 fax: 808-545-7997
580 N Nimitz Highway
Honolulu, HI 96817 Reviews MAP IT!
Sharktooth Brewery & Steakhouse () phone: 808-871-6689
Kaahumanu Shopping Center
Wailuku , HI Reviews
Suntory Limited () phone: 808-524-5671
841 Bishop St suite 726
Honolulu, HI Reviews MAP IT!
Trade Winds Brewing Co (Microbrewery) phone: 808-244-6631 fax: 808-244-7797
850 Kolu St suite 7
Wailuku, HI 96793 Reviews MAP IT!
Waimea Brewing Co. (Brewpub) phone: 808-338-9733
9400 Kaumualii Hwy
PO BOX 667
Waimea, HI 96796 Reviews MAP IT!
Whalers Brewpub (Brewpub) phone: 808-245-2000 fax: 808-245-6580
3132 Ninini Point Street
Lihue
Kauai, HI 96766 Website Reviews MAP IT!
Maui Home Brew Supply (Brewing Supplies) phone: 808-244-6258
50 N Market St
Wailuku, HI Reviews MAP IT!
HomebrewInParadise (Brewing Supplies) phone: 808-834-BREW(2739)
2646 B Kilihau Street
Honolulu, HI Reviews MAP IT!

Last time I was over there I dropped in on Kona Brewing (on the Big Island). It's a great little set up, with a fantastic range of brews and a nice little beer garden...

I haven't manager to get to Maui Brewing yet, but that' definitely on the agenda for next time I'm out there!

Andy

Does anyone have any more recent info on brewpubs/availability of good beer in Hawaii? Or even recommendations from the list above?

Looks like work is sending me over there next month and while I'll be unable to get a beer the week that I'm working there should be a couple of days beforehand in Waikiki during which I should be able to find one. Probably going to fly the Mrs over afterwards as well and spend a few days on Oahu somewhere then head to the big island for a few days.

i just got back from a couple of weeks holiday in hawaii! good timing.

I didn't get as much of a chance to search out the good beer haunts as I would have liked, but I did make it to a couple of places.

Maui Brewing Co. was definitely worth the trip if you're on Maui. Nice brewpub and restaurant (strange location - in a shopping mall for lack of better terms..) They had about 15 of their beers on tap, thoroughly enjoyed them all. They do tasting paddles they usually come with 4 different beers of your choice. We got a strange look when we asked for one of each. haha.

We also spent a bit of time on Waikiki. Was hoping to make it to the Kona Brewery while we were there but it never eventuated. We did however stumble across a beer bar calledthe Yardhouse. Wow... they had about 50 great US craft beers on tap. needless to say I went back a number of times. Make sure you find this one.

Tough gig being sent to Hawaii for work, but someone's gotta do it. Enjoy!

Yardhouse - Yes!! It is a right shithole, but there are lot of beers (100 or so) on tap and they (or at least the 20 or so i tried) are well kept and fresh.

But you will also be super excited by just the selection that you can get at any of the hundreds of ABC convenience stores... If only seven 11 sold a range of craft beers like that in Australia, and cheap too.

BTW - you aren't allowed to drink booze sitting on waikiki beach. BUT the nice attendent at the ABC store will sell you a mixed sixpack of craft beer, and for an extra 20c or something like that, a big arsed slushie cup to pour it into so you can engage in a little bit of stealth drinking while relaxing on the sand next to the big blue wobbly bit

I just got back from Hawaii too - went to The Big Island, Honolulu & Maui.

I did a lot of research on Beerfly over on beeradvocate.com and this was the best bottlo I found in Honolulu:

The Liqour Collection
1050 Ala Moana Blvd
Honolulu

Its in a smallish shopping centre and had a big range of US craftbeer and other interesting stuff too.

There's now a Kona Brewing brewpub in Honolulu too - great beer.

Made it to Kona Brewing, Hawaii Nui/Mehana and the Big Island Brewhaus. As said above, the range in the ABC stores/Whalers is not bad either (especially at $10/6pack). The Liquor Collection was also good but unfortunately I only found it on the last day we were there - should have actually read the previous post! Supermarkets also had a selection the envy of any bottle shop I've seen locally.

Kona Brewing on the Big Island has awesome pizzas with crust made from spent grain. Their beers were pretty good too, although I hear a lot of them are brewed on the mainland these days. They did have a few seasonals on tap and their standard range covers a wide variety of styles. Definitely worth a visit if you're on the big island. Their beers, particularly the Fire Rock Pale Ale (APA) and Longboard Lager are available everywhere in Hawaii.

Hawaii Nui/Mehana (apparently they were bought out by Hawaii Nui but have kept the Mehana branding for existing beers) have a small tasting room at their brewery in Hilo. For $5 you get a tasting glass and a sample of 6 of their beers, or you can try 2 for free. Needless to say I tried them all and along with the standard beers they had a pretty good porter and IPA on. Interestingly they also sell corny kegs of their beer and they seemed to do quite a few of these as at least 3 went while I was in there. Their brown ale wasn't on tap but I did grab a longneck of it and it went down quite well.

The Big Island Brewhaus also does Mexican food so that had me sold once we drove past it. Unfortunately the guy who served us was useless so I didn't get to try all the beers I wanted to. However I did quite like the red ale.

Also got a mixed 6 pack of Maui Brewing beers which were pretty good as well. Their coconut porter was the best of the coconut beers that I tried (seems to be a popular thing over there).

The Yardhouse had a great selection of beers and some decent food but the staff had no idea. I asked what the Maui Brewing seasonal they had on tap was and was told "It's like a dark beer, really heavy and dark like Guinness" and made to feel like I shouldn't bother ordering it.

Hey Brother brewers,

Franko

Hawaii in november? Grab any 6 pack and plonk down on the sand at pipe and watch the carnage!!!!

Latest posts

Back