Where to cut Keggle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I've got an old 80 litre barrel keg I'll be turning into a Keggle,

Where should I cut the top off?

Outside edge- white mark.
Outside bit higher- pink
Top edge- black
Or inside edge- pink dashed lines

It's a bit dinged up so not a perfect circle.

Also I'm not anticipating a perfect smooth cut edge so do ppl put a piece of sliced silicon tube around?

1416571310573.jpg

1416571327414.jpg

1416571339326.jpg

1416571355685.jpg

Solid pink will make it easier to clean. Cut neat, use a file or flap to remove sharp edges. If you use a silicon tube on the off cut you will have a lid.

Cheers

Yep, find a lid at an op shop or elsewhere and make a jig to get a nice fit for it - or rough cut by hand within 2-3mm and then grind out the rest to get a perfect fit.

250mm round glass lid from Kmart $10.00 from memory.
Sit it on top,trace around the internal rim of the lid,cut inside the traced line then,check the fit and trim to get a good fit.
Cut the bottom of the keg so you can then turn it upside down and fit a tap to the existing inlet ( if using electricity ) .
Cheers...spog...

I have one of these as a boil kettle, I used a BigW 19L pot lid, fits perfectly, I think nominal 300mm diameter. These are a really great kettle, and if your so inclined, polish up really well, though getting there can be an obsession.

MB

Latest posts

Back