Where To Buy A Nasa Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone dumped a couple of large-ish 4WD wheels near my work today, so i grabbed them on the way home
then ordered the $30 burner from amazon
I'll weld some angle iron on for legs (got some in the shed)
$30 all up for a nasa burner and stand, can't complain :D

If it works out well, you should make a few and sell 'em!

I would have bought one off you had I not bought one the other day.

I bought one a couple of days ago. I thought about getting one from the US, would have saved maybe 50 bucks, but using it the same day and knowing I can return locally if something goes wrong is probably worth it to me. Oh and it was super loud compared to my three ring burner, warp speed was achieved!

I saw this in a pamphlet today its at outback adventures in morayfield Qld, not sure if they have any other stores around?
2012_10_03_16.52.55.jpg

Alright cooking time!!!!!

My package Just got delivered from the US ($100 NASA from Amazon) haven't checked it yet cause I'm at work and its at home but I'm pretty impressed with the shipping time. I ordered on the 28th of sep and it got delivered today.

I have just organised to have tomorrow of work to burn stuff :super: ......I mean brew a batch but im going to have to grab an adaptor in the morning for the LPG bottle.

Can anyone recommend a place in western sydney where I would be able to pick up the adaptor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like Anaconda is now doing these for $129

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp-an...or-Power-Cooker

I'm at a loss, doing probably around 40l boils trying to toss up between this or an over the side element?

I would prefer the over side element as electricity seems simpler but would it be enough output? Is this Mega-Jet burner just overkill?

What to do.. what to do..

I'm at a loss, doing probably around 40l boils trying to toss up between this or an over the side element?

I would prefer the over side element as electricity seems simpler but would it be enough output? Is this Mega-Jet burner just overkill?

Blitzer, in my setup I have a 3 ring burner and an OTS element.

Start of boil i have about 38/39L after draining the bag.
I use both outer rings on the burner and the element to hit the boil. Once boiling i can keep it rolling along nicely with the middle burner ring and the element.

I dont have insulation on the pot. Not sure if i could boil without the additional help from the burner. Maybe but my pot is 50CM wide so i have heaps of surface area working against me.

In a narrow pot of about 35-37cm you should be better off and the element may do the job.

Cheers,
D80

I'm running a single element elec in a converted 50L keggle. It's 390mm across and I now have 3 layers of insulation on the pot. My pre-boil vol is 29L and I would prefer a stronger boil. For a 40L boil I think a single element won't cut the mustard, unless you throw in 2 elements. I do like elec as it very predictable, doesn't throw out as much heat into the working area and is quite. But the pure power of a NASA / Mega-Jet is great to speed things along on brew day, and a decent boil can always be achieved. Since the Mega-Jet is adjustable heat it's not a problem for smaller batches, and if you should ever decided to scale up the system the burner will still be happy.

QldKev

I bought one of the mega jets after looking at all the options, in combination with the BCF crab pot with insert which fits the burner stand perfectly, mainly because i could pick it up locally (in Coffs Harbour) and the savings i made in postage on other options made it good value. To test it out and measure evaporation i put 20L of cold tap water in, it had it boiling 11 minutes later. Hard to argue with that kind of grunt.

Also narrowly averted potential disaster.... the burner came with the regulator hose sticking straight up vertically.....I didnt even think about it and fired it up, a few minutes later i noticed the hose was looking a bit funny, the heat was starting to melt it! Make sure the hose is pointing down!

This looks like a good deal for someone starting out into BIAB or if someone just needs a turkey frier
It is in the current Mitre 10 junk mail from Port Lincoln.
Interested people may have to do a bit of hard negotiating with their local M10.

Special.jpg

This looks like a good deal for someone starting out into BIAB or if someone just needs a turkey frier

Nice find, the burner by itself costs that much at most places, can think of plenty of uses for a 20 litre pot with an insert if/when you inevitably upgrade to a bigger pot.

So, amazon order just came in, which contained http://amzn.com/B0047O3PRK and http://amzn.com/B0033JF0GE

I ordered the kingkooker over the bayou bg10 because it contained the orifice (the bayou orifice wasn't available directly from amazon so shipping was crazy)

Just opened up the box for the burner, and it's missing the air shutter spring (and one of the air shutter screws :( )
I don't know that I'll have a suitable spring just lying around though, I'll have a look - I might be able to uncoil and trim another spring

What surprised me, was just how large the holes on the air shutter were :eek: I thought it was going to be basically identical to the bayou

I'm planning on cutting a larger hole (in the stud pattern area) of a 15" rim and probably using hose clamps to strap it up, then resting the rim on cinder blocks.
I've heard mention of others doing similar but haven't seen any photos - anyone able to shed some light on how others have done it?

So, amazon order just came in, which contained http://amzn.com/B0047O3PRK and http://amzn.com/B0033JF0GE

I ordered the kingkooker over the bayou bg10 because it contained the orifice (the bayou orifice wasn't available directly from amazon so shipping was crazy)

Just opened up the box for the burner, and it's missing the air shutter spring (and one of the air shutter screws :( )
I don't know that I'll have a suitable spring just lying around though, I'll have a look - I might be able to uncoil and trim another spring

What surprised me, was just how large the holes on the air shutter were :eek: I thought it was going to be basically identical to the bayou

I'm planning on cutting a larger hole (in the stud pattern area) of a 15" rim and probably using hose clamps to strap it up, then resting the rim on cinder blocks.
I've heard mention of others doing similar but haven't seen any photos - anyone able to shed some light on how others have done it?

Hi bond

Try it without the air control.
With a hp regulator you probably wont need it.
I know others on here have taken the air plate off and with mine I run it with the thing wide open anyway.
10 years and still going strong.

Cheers

edit; just had a closer look at the pic and you will need some sort of gas tap/control between the regulator and the burner.

Hi bond

Try it without the air control.
With a hp regulator you probably wont need it.
I know others on here have taken the air plate off and with mine I run it with the thing wide open anyway.
10 years and still going strong.

Cheers

edit; just had a closer look at the pic and you will need some sort of gas tap/control between the regulator and the burner.
He shouldn't need to, the regulator is adjustable (that's how i control mine)
I'll quickly go grab a pic of my car wheel BIAB stand for you

3 pieces of angle for legs, 2 pieces of angle over the top to sit the keggle on and another small piece of angle at the back as a heat shield for the tap
just used an angle grinder to cut a slot out for the burner to sit in (took a few discs)
i'd say you might want to use a few more pieces of angle inside the wheel to sit/mount the burner on

3 pieces of angle for legs, 2 pieces of angle over the top to sit the keggle on and another small piece of angle at the back as a heat shield for the tap
just used an angle grinder to cut a slot out for the burner to sit in (took a few discs)
i'd say you might want to use a few more pieces of angle inside the wheel to sit/mount the burner on

Now that's a wheely good burner

or

Who said you didn't have a RIMS system

Ok, cut up the rim a little with the plasma cutter.

A 50L keg will sit perfectly within the lip of the rim, so I'll probably just weld on a few tabs to stop the keg from sliding off.

How would one work out the shipping costs, or if they even ship to Australia on Amazon? I know its a US sight but I can't even find a link to ask the seller about shipping details.

Back