Where Do I Start?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danilee80

Reaction score
ok so hi all, i want to start making cider, would prefer just as basic as possible to start off incase i get bored or disheartened and give up, but the one i really wanna start with it apple n blackcurrant cider!!! im not a huge cider drinker but have found something i really like n would love to give it a go, so please any advice,recipes, tips or sucsess/fail stories on this would be great CHEERS DANNII!!!

ok so hi all, i want to start making cider, would prefer just as basic as possible to start off incase i get bored or disheartened and give up, but the one i really wanna start with it apple n blackcurrant cider!!! im not a huge cider drinker but have found something i really like n would love to give it a go, so please any advice,recipes, tips or sucsess/fail stories on this would be great CHEERS DANNII!!!
OHH I FORGOT TO MENTION I HAVE NO SETUP SO THAT WOULD PROBABLY BE A GOOD START :)

You need a fermenter and a bottle of some sort of sanitizer. Directions to use sanitizer will be on the bottle.

You will need yeast.

You will need fermentables - juice.

You will need some tool to measure specific gravity of fermentable solution - hydrometer.

Depending on where you live you might need temperature control - fridge with independent temperature control.

Try searching the forum on these topics and I'm sure you won't be left in much doubt.

You need a fermenter and a bottle of some sort of sanitizer. Directions to use sanitizer will be on the bottle.

You will need yeast.

You will need fermentables - juice.

You will need some tool to measure specific gravity of fermentable solution - hydrometer.

Depending on where you live you might need temperature control - fridge with independent temperature control.

Try searching the forum on these topics and I'm sure you won't be left in much doubt.

thankyou, i tried a search in group but too many to go through lol, (lazy much) just started a facebook group so hopefull i find a few people that can be of support there too, thank-you atleast now i know wat to buy befor i start, can i ask if u think th apple n blackcurrant cider too hard to start with?

Can I suggest you do a search for Oz Tops. Google can be your friend in that respect.

All you need then is a juice bottle and the Oz Top, plus a smidgen of patience.

Just follow the instructions on the packet. Couldn't be any easier than that. If you find you like the idea of home-made Cider and would like to step it up, by all means go out and buy the aforementioned fermenters, measuring equipment et al. But if you are just keen to knock up some home-made alcoholic Cider the super simple way, I'd just go with that.

If you want to make a quick easy cider. All I did was buy some Coles best buy apple juice (Could use apple and black current), take a glass of juice out to give a bit of head space, then sprinkle a bit of US05 yeast on top and then put a piece of glad wrap on top with a rubber band.

Surprisingly it turned our quite good.

Note as I did not take and gravity readings I left it to ferment for 6 weeks and then bottles into PET bottles so even if it had not finished fermenting they would not explode.

It made a dry cider as most of the sugars were eaten by the yeast, could sweeten it up by adding some lactose.

Nick

thanks everyone love the idea of the small batches but this is something i wanna do for a while, give to friends and family and also drink for myself lol, a hobby for myself :)
also have a page on facebook for home brew if anyone interested in joining, only has a few members so far but its just another chat option for brewers on all levels :)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/103586639764117/

Just wondering if you are 18 years old, at least?

Bam!

What a clever little spammer. Talking homebrew and all. Nice.....

i was wondering if he was 18 as well. anyway here's my 2 cents

www.oztops.com.au

good luck

i was wondering if he was 18 as well. anyway here's my 2 cents

www.oztops.com.au

good luck

Oztops, agreed.

The reason why...

You can buy your apple juice in 3 litre bottles (9 liters is close to a slab of beer), you have 3 pressure caps in a pack. The yeast supplied is good for the job...

So, for low cost as well as really low effort, you dip your toe in the water - but your still making good quantities and of good enough quality (not award winning, but good enough to drink) - I was drinking them within a week, whereas your cider making efforts will have a much bigger effort (cleaning and bottling are exponential efforts in comparison to the oztops way) and take far longer from brewing to drinking. You can also experiment cheaply as juice comes in different flavors.

Then, if your still keen as mustard and I hope you will be, then go to a homebrew shop and start the journey.

As were OP's intentions here.

Latest posts

Back