Where Can I Buy Snpa?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any beer in LCPA? I've tried it a few times due to a lot of the raves on this forum and all i get is hop burps, can't taste any malt at all.

I usually drink dark beer and was excited when they brought out white rabbit. Tried it on tap at their beer hall in Brunswick St, so i hope it was fresh as its onlt a 40 min drive from Healesville. At least the dark malt gave a bit of beer flavour, but this was the most hoppy dark ale I've ever had - and yes I did get hop burps! I believe that beer should be balanced (pick any number of finr English beers, which have good hops AND good malt - let's say Bishops Finger) rather than drink Little Creatures, just steep some hops in hot water

You may be right Hazard, but each their own. This is why there are so many beer styles available, there is something for all of us.

If you really wanted it, and are prepared to cough up the dough, I would contact the brewery directly, pre-pay for a slab, have them pack it properly at refrigeration temps, then priority express it here. Or if you have a contact in the States, have them grab a 6 and do the same. Even if you skip the packing at cool temps (to save weight/cost)- have them purchase the 6 at room temp, package and post straight away. Unless it's ridiculously disturbed in transit, it should be far superior to what you can buy locally. Make sure they shop around, and grab the freshest (by manufacture date) avail, too.

I can confirm that even though it's a great beer, there's no way in hell it's worth going to this effort just to drink a six pack of it.

:ph34r: Flame suit on.

Not blown away by SNPA sorry.

Had my first one two weeks ago after reading all the gushing reports about how great it was here.

I think drinking LCPA for a few years I am biased and agree with Jamil that LCPA is the better beer.

To me LCPA is much better balanced and you can actually taste more grain (which appeals to my personal taste). SNPA is a touch too big on the hop front and leaves you with a resiny aftertaste. Critics talk about how balanced SNPA is all the time (between hop and grain) but I just don't see it. This is a hop monster of a beer. Not an IPA but getting up there.

Mind you I haven't drunk a lot of high IBU US beers so this may be why I am biased. It may be just a genre I'm not used to.

SNPA is indeed an interesting beer, don't get me wrong - but if you're reading this and haven't tried it, try to see through the hype. I would have felt like an idiot if I had bought 6 of these beers. One is enough for me. These things are damn expensive to buy here, and money is better spent on a LCPA in my opinion.

My 2c,

Hopper.

I've only tasted SNPA in America...

The best thing about it is how cheap it is compared to Australian craft beers. I loved it because of that mainly. Good beer but nothing really special. I'd take LCPA over it any day.

I've only tasted SNPA in America...

The best thing about it is how cheap it is compared to Australian craft beers. I loved it because of that mainly. Good beer but nothing really special. I'd take LCPA over it any day.

The moment does maketh the beer. Having a SNPA in the US would be great. Like having a Kolsch in Cologne or a Weizen in Bavaria... :icon_drool2: Sometimes the setting and experience does make them taste better!

The moment does maketh the beer. Having a SNPA in the US would be great. Like having a Kolsch in Cologne or a Weizen in Bavaria... :icon_drool2: Sometimes the setting and experience does make them taste better!

When you've been out to dinner at a nice restaurant, go into a convenience store on the way back to the hotel, see tallies of these for like $3 US, buy a couple, they're bagged very efficiently by the old black dude behind the counter (refreshing to see someone take their job seriously like that, not like the teenagers or apathetic wankers in Australian shops), take them home and fill up the ice bucket and get your drink on, yeah the setting matters!!!

When you've been out to dinner at a nice restaurant, go into a convenience store on the way back to the hotel, see tallies of these for like $3 US, buy a couple, they're bagged very efficiently by the old black dude behind the counter (refreshing to see someone take their job seriously like that, not like the teenagers or apathetic wankers in Australian shops), take them home and fill up the ice bucket and get your drink on, yeah the setting matters!!!

Yep. and 6-pack for $6 or 12 for $10. :icon_drunk:

Yeah cheap as, even in New York. I think i paid about $7.00 for my six pack in some convenience store. Now thats convenience!
And i have to agree with Hopping Mad "the moment maketh the beer", too true. I've never been to Europe to try their beers but years ago in Bali, even Bintang tasted good out of a rusty bottle! Now that could be another thread altogether, "the worst best beers (or any drink) while overseas". Not having been overseas much, Bintang takes the cake for me.

I bought a couple of snpa's from G&G a while ago. One of the nicest beers of bought - I'm a mad keen APA style beer drinker. Personally, lcpa doesn't even come close to it. I think lcpa has been watered down from what it used to be years ago, though that is only my personal opinion. If you can get hold of some that is reasonably "fresh", do yourself a favour and buy some. The worst you can do is think, "this is overatted, or you may enjoy it.

Cheers :)

Just after I made this post I watched the latest episode of Californication, and low and behold the convenience store in question featured heavily in the show! The exact same one! Crazy.

I had a Sierra Nevada last night. It's good. Quite good.

But not great.

Back