Where Can I Buy Snpa?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakester

Reaction score
Since having a six pack of these in New York last year i have been hanging out to get my hands on some. Is there any bottle shops in sydney that stock Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? I know its gonna cost a bit but have decided what the heck, its Christmas! I live out near Penrith and i know i will have to travel to get some, we are lucky to even get Squires out here!
Cheers in advance.

I used to buy it at Worldbeers at Northmead in Sydney.

If you get stuck and can't locate it in a bottle shop I recently purchased a 6-pack from beerstore.com.au, not cheap but I really wanted to try it.

I would inquire as to travel of this beer, before purchase. Ask if it's made it way down here (AUS/NZ) by way of Europe, first. If so, it's gray beer and I can almost bet quality has been compromised, as compared to what you would've enjoyed in NY, etc.

If you really wanted it, and are prepared to cough up the dough, I would contact the brewery directly, pre-pay for a slab, have them pack it properly at refrigeration temps, then priority express it here. Or if you have a contact in the States, have them grab a 6 and do the same. Even if you skip the packing at cool temps (to save weight/cost)- have them purchase the 6 at room temp, package and post straight away. Unless it's ridiculously disturbed in transit, it should be far superior to what you can buy locally. Make sure they shop around, and grab the freshest (by manufacture date) avail, too.

reVox

Thanks all. Northmead is the easiest to get to so will check there first.
I have read on here that it can be a beer that loses alot due to the distance travelled so i will have to check on that too, as i do even when i buy LCPA, i check the dates and get the freshest. I cant begin to imagine what SNPA would taste like fresh from the taps! I will have to put it on my things to do before i die list!
Maybe if i head up the mountains i will have to stop at the Leura cellars, i have heard of it before and i think Pat from Absolute Homebrew may have even scored his bottle from there.
Cheers!

Thanks all. Northmead is the easiest to get to so will check there first.
I have read on here that it can be a beer that loses alot due to the distance travelled so i will have to check on that too, as i do even when i buy LCPA, i check the dates and get the freshest. I cant begin to imagine what SNPA would taste like fresh from the taps! I will have to put it on my things to do before i die list!
Maybe if i head up the mountains i will have to stop at the Leura cellars, i have heard of it before and i think Pat from Absolute Homebrew may have even scored his bottle from there.
Cheers!

Saw it at Platinum Liquor, North Strathfield yesterday

Is in Acland st Cellars here in Melbourne for $6.95 and they operate online.

Sorry to chime in Ivesy but am trying to get my hands on some too. Anyone know somewhere in Newcastle area that stock it?

Got mine at Northmead - I think you will be disapointed. Nice malty backbone, but the aroma and flavour hops had gone. Buy a case of LCPA instead.

Cheers - Mike

Well it looks like Northmead is out, bummer. Might just bite the bullet and purchase online just to try it out. $25 for a 4 pack is expensive, but there are worse ways to spend money.

I think you will be disapointed. Nice malty backbone, but the aroma and flavour hops had gone.

And this is why Sierra Nevada (and many other US craft-breweries) will not sell to Australia.. degradation of their product resulting in a less than optimal, even off-putting experience (and then guys get online.. not really poking the finger at us here more ratebeer, etc., and talk about how the beer doesn't live up to the hype, isn't big on hops, or whatever).

Again, if you are buying it here, it's gone all the way to Europe first where a retailer there has sat on it for some months and noticed, "Nice malty backbone, but the aroma and flavour hops have gone." So what's he do? Sells it on down the line to at bargain prices (something is better than nothing) and is done with it.

Seriously, give it a pass and buy a local beer, or ship the SNP in yourself, direct from the US. You're not doing yourself any favours sampling these with only a hint of their former glory.

I recall Jamil Z saying that when he was here for last years ANHC, he tried LCPA. His comment was something along the lines of just like SNPA but better.

Ive had it & that was my thoughts too (before I heard it said I should add).

Just a heads up incase you really are thinking of going to great expense to try it. Probably not worth it.

Got mine at Northmead - I think you will be disapointed. Nice malty backbone, but the aroma and flavour hops had gone. Buy a case of LCPA instead.

Cheers - Mike
Is there any beer in LCPA? I've tried it a few times due to a lot of the raves on this forum and all i get is hop burps, can't taste any malt at all.

I usually drink dark beer and was excited when they brought out white rabbit. Tried it on tap at their beer hall in Brunswick St, so i hope it was fresh as its onlt a 40 min drive from Healesville. At least the dark malt gave a bit of beer flavour, but this was the most hoppy dark ale I've ever had - and yes I did get hop burps! I believe that beer should be balanced (pick any number of finr English beers, which have good hops AND good malt - let's say Bishops Finger) rather than drink Little Creatures, just steep some hops in hot water

I recall Jamil Z saying that when he was here for last years ANHC, he tried LCPA. His comment was something along the lines of just like SNPA but better.

Ive had it & that was my thoughts too (before I heard it said I should add).

Just a heads up incase you really are thinking of going to great expense to try it. Probably not worth it.
I agree, totally, with the LCPA comparison, but I reckon you and me are gonna be the only ones wave this flag, Killer
SNPA is awesome because its the beer that started it all (Maytag excluded).
If you see one, get one, but they are not beer nirvana.

Latest posts

Back