When To Add Finnings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocker1986 said:
It doesn't matter if you use them or not, no. I'm guessing this packet is either gelatine or isinglass. It's up to you basically, if you want crystal clear beer, add the finings, if you're not fussed then don't worry about it. I do find gelatine causes the yeast sediment in the bottles to become rather fluffy and easily disturbed though. On a side note I don't mind the Newstead beers. :)

I like clear beer but I use Polyclar to achieve this, as it prevents chill haze rather than yeast haze, which I don't get in my beers anyway. I mix it up in boiling water and add it while the beer is cold crashing, then leave it for about a week before bottling to ensure it's all settled out. I tried my one from first batch which had been fined with Polyclar last weekend, and it was absolutely brilliant compared to previous batches, so I'm a convert. :D
Shit hot mate.

Yeah newstead beer is rather tasty. Bit exy though.

Might bottle my beer now then fk it

A while back I was concerned about cloudy beer that tasted ok all the same.
On enquiring about a fix here I was given the solution by a learned member,
"Just close your ******* eyes when you drink it."
While this was an effective and affordable fix that worked quite well,I now use gelatine and cold crash.

maybe i'm lazy - only ever used finings (or finnings if you get them from kmart, they should be endorsed by tim and neil) on the first couple of brews i did.
i tend to use saf 04 yeast if i WANT a beer that you can see your fingerprints through.
other than that, i find that 2 weeks in the fermenter clears most beers pretty well. my suspicion is that we're so used to sanitized commercial beer that we've probably forgotten what beer is supposed to look like.

i don't do lagers (no fridge and live in qld), but the ales go pretty clear, dark beers behave themselves and wheat is cloudy anyway.
and if you recycle your yeast, then i'd wonder how much timmy finnings winds up in the mix. sounds like plastic bags in your refill to me.

let go and be hippies, brothers and sisters... go natural. the cosmos will love you and you will still love your beer. -_-

butisitart said:
maybe i'm lazy - only ever used finings (or finnings if you get them from kmart, they should be endorsed by tim and neil) on the first couple of brews i did.
i tend to use saf 04 yeast if i WANT a beer that you can see your fingerprints through.
other than that, i find that 2 weeks in the fermenter clears most beers pretty well. my suspicion is that we're so used to sanitized commercial beer that we've probably forgotten what beer is supposed to look like.

i don't do lagers (no fridge and live in qld), but the ales go pretty clear, dark beers behave themselves and wheat is cloudy anyway.
and if you recycle your yeast, then i'd wonder how much timmy finnings winds up in the mix. sounds like plastic bags in your refill to me.

let go and be hippies, brothers and sisters... go natural. the cosmos will love you and you will still love your beer. -_-

With ragards to a lager setup, I picked up a wine fridge and a regular fridge for a combined total of $100, used the wine fridge (setting about halfway) for the primary, then dropped the FV into the second fridge for secondary (also doubles as beer fridge when isn't being used as fermenting fridge.). Wine fridge fits a FV perfectly using glad wrap on it. Worked a treat for clarity and taste even though wasn't correct to the nth degree, am fortunate to have enough space under my house to put 'em. Just means the car is parked on the road though.

I'm sure there are arguments on both sides of the hazy beer fence. I'm not one who subscribes to the theory of cloudy beer somehow being symbolic of being hand crafted and therefore better than clear beer. I like clear beer, and I will use processing agents to achieve it if need be.

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy, there is no right or wrong. If you want your beer clear, use gelatine or Polyclar or whatever, if you don't give a rat's arse about it, then don't. It's not rocket surgery. ;)

I don't do secondaries anymore thats when I added finings before bottling, now I bottle without.
I only add finings to the keg now, sometimes. Many finings I've found dont make much of a difference except one. Brigalow finings from BigW.
(Hope nobody throws anything at me for saying that). I guess its a type of gelatin. Some gelatins are better than others. I've tried Aeroplane Jelly (plain). Isinglass. Different products and its hard to tell if they do much but that Brigalow satche does. No info of ingredients though.

madpierre06.....
i trust it's the wife's car you're talking about :unsure:
yeah - at the end of the day, it's all about looking at your beer after it goes into a glass, and feeling good about what you see

danscraftbeer.... brigalows finnings at bigW??? i love that aisle. that's when i practice my 'i only shop at david j's and i've accidentally found myself here, with the socially confused' look of confused disdain. that's when i ask a 14 year old shop assistant to 'show me to the braumeisters, would you?' the wife thinks i'm a complete tosspot when i do that, but i love living life on the edge. woo hoo!!

And Taste!

I've been amazed at some really good drinking beers or ciders from a can. Pour it into a glass and see its cloudy!? :huh: :chug:

Latest posts

Back