When Is A Stainless Valve Not A Stainless Valve?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LethalCorpse

Reaction score
Just a heads up, be wary of these ballvalves on fleabay. I asked the seller in a previous sale what grade stainless they were, and he said "Not sure could be brass and coated in stainless or nickle, should be OK!". Well, no it shouldn't. Either it's stainless, or it's not. He's unlikely to be able to sell them for $20 if they're really solid stainless.

Just a heads up, be wary of these ballvalves on fleabay. I asked the seller in a previous sale what grade stainless they were, and he said "Not sure could be brass and coated in stainless or nickle, should be OK!". Well, no it shouldn't. Either it's stainless, or it's not. He's unlikely to be able to sell them for $20 if they're really solid stainless.
I can tell you for sure, thats brass coated with nickel.

They are coated "Food Grade" brass, I to have queried these taps, the argument that the ball inside is stainless was handed back in response.

That said I have sold dozens of them and no one has had any problems with them, they are a good value for money entry level product.
I wouldnt hesitate to use them, naturally stainless if you look after it will last a life time; it's just a question of whether or not you are willing to pay the extra.

These taps do come apart (2 part tap), if you want them to last its a good idea to strip and clean them periodically, and re-lube them with a good high temperature food grade grease, same as for any tap.

MHB

mmmm...cast stainless...how do they do it....

K

That's what I figured - took one look at it and thought "no bloody way", but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and asked. I reported him, but got no response.
I'm sure they're quite a nice tap, but not for use in contact with stainless steel, and certainly not if you're an unsuspecting customer who thinks you're paying for stainless.

I really don't see the need of s/s for brew rigs due to the limited wort exposer time when brewing. On the other hand when fermenters are involved s/s or food grade plastic are the only way to go.

...on the other hand kettle fittings etc are exposed to much higher temperatures and the possibility of reactions with wort is still quite possible. That's why I ditched all of my brass and copper in kettle.

Latest posts

Back