wheat beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iecplumbing

Reaction score
hi im new at making wheat beer ( all grain ) to add more body to the brew I was thinking Raw Wheat (Unmalted) what do you think and if im right how much in a 23lt brew

Raw (unmalted) wheat is used in a Belgian Wit but I don't think it is to add body.
What makes you think raw wheat will add body?
Is it a German wheat beer or a Belgian or some other type of wheat beer you are planning to make?

german wheat beer it has 2.3kg wheat malt 2.2 kg pilsner malt .25 kg munich dark 21lt batch I find the beer a bit light in body

german wheat beer it has 2.3kg wheat malt 2.2 kg pilsner malt .25 kg munich dark 21lt batch I find the beer a bit light in body
You cold do a step mash, say 65 deg C for 30 mins and then 72 for 30 mins or you could use a less attenuative yeast

my step mash for this is 63c for 15 73c for 35 and mash out 78c for 15 and I use WB-06 yeast

Add 50 to 100 gr of Carawheat or Caramunich. That'll give you some body.
If you don't want to do a step mash, just mash at 67 or 68ºC for 90 minutes, and 90 min boil, and you should be OK.

WB06 is quite a high attenuating yeast, 80 % according to my notes, I started using WLP 351 last year and that attenuates 78% every time, it seems to me to add just enough body. Caramel wheat should not be needed in a wheat beer

Some people use flaked/torrified wheat instead of raw wheat apparently to add body.

Cook 200g of porridge in water and add to the mash, will give body and add to the flavour, also a nice creamy head

Latest posts

Back