Wheat beer keg aging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitcho207

Reaction score
Hey. I have only completed 2 all grain in the robobrew and all good so far. I have a 3rd just kegged and it says to age the wheat beer in the keg for 30 days. Are they serious? HAHA!
OK what are the cons to drinking early?
What will I loose?
FG looks good @1004
Was in primary for 9 days and secondary for 5 days. Sample looked a nice lightish clear colour and smells and tastes like what I was aiming for.
Currently carbonating.

Last edited:
What sort of Wheat beer is it?
A Hefeweizen personally its 7 days in the fermenter, 7 days conditioning, drink in 7 days, but I want all the banana and bubblegum I can get and they are both fairly unstable flavours and fade fairly fast.
A Belgian whit beer, a Berlina, or something like a Weizen-Doppelbock tipping its hat to Aventinus would get treated very differently and would need several months.
Short answer is, what sort of wheat beer is it? If you don't give enough information you wont get sensible answers.
Mark

Yes sorry more detail.So I'm not sure of the "style". It might seem a little bastardized. Beersmith style is American wheat beer but with Munuch Classic wheat beer yeast
2.8kg wheat malt 3.5ebc
2.0kg Veloria Schooner 8.0ebc
30+20 grams Hallertau

Opinion - based on personal taste, condition for 7 days, start drinking...
If the last glass in the keg is the best tasting one, a good sign you started too soon. Keep tasting notes and you will soon work out when you like each beer best. American wheat is a great little summer throwdown (or you could say pretty bland).
Good beer on a hot day and god knows we have been having plenty of them.
Mark

Opinion - based on personal taste, condition for 7 days, start drinking...
If the last glass in the keg is the best tasting one, a good sign you started too soon. Keep tasting notes and you will soon work out when you like each beer best. American wheat is a great little summer throwdown (or you could say pretty bland).
Good beer on a hot day and god knows we have been having plenty of them.
Mark
thank you for your input. that makes sense and a good direction to follow.
I will target a German one next. Do you have a good recipe for something similar to
Erdinger Weissbrau or Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen

Really both the same, basically 50/50 German Wheat Malt and German Pilsner Malt, bitter with one of the noble hops to 16-18 IBU (I like Hallertau Mittlefruh or Tetnang) and choose the right yeast.
I prefer Weihenstephan so would use W3068, but one of the other German Wheat yeasts will go closer to the ones you are looking for (do a quick google) you wont get true to type without the right yeast.
You will get a decent generic German wheat with dry yeast, but its one style where the yeast is king, and the liquid yeasts are really the way to go.
Mark

Thank you for the detailed info.
I'm only a few brews in so I'll keep it simple for a while. But have added this info to my notes for a later time

Really both the same, basically 50/50 German Wheat Malt and German Pilsner Malt, bitter with one of the noble hops to 16-18 IBU (I like Hallertau Mittlefruh or Tetnang) and choose the right yeast.
I prefer Weihenstephan so would use W3068, but one of the other German Wheat yeasts will go closer to the ones you are looking for (do a quick google) you wont get true to type without the right yeast.
You will get a decent generic German wheat with dry yeast, but its one style where the yeast is king, and the liquid yeasts are really the way to go.
Mark

As you know I have been trying to brew a Schofferhofer Hefeweizen for the last 3 months and I always have been missing the mark. I am going to try again....a no nonsense Hefe with the above mix of wheat and pilsner, plus all i need to do is get a proper Hefe yeast. Thanks Mark. Maybe one day I will get the banana flavour i am looking for.

PS. Just opened a 2 month hefe that i used the open fermentation technique. Um....ah.....nice carbonation, metallic flavour....definately you want to drink a Hefe within 2 weeks of maturity.

Latest posts

Back