Whats Your Favourite Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just did a 100% ale malt with 125grams NB throughout the brew last weekend bindi, i'll let you know how it is in 3 weeks.

All hops are good. :super: I have yet to use a hop I don't like.

As we're quoting ourselves....still stand by that one too.

I guess my favourites over the last year have probably been Centennial, Styrian Goldings and Strisselspalt. This year it'll probably be something different. :D

Question for the NB aficionados:

How much difference is there between the Euro and American varieties? I haven't been able to find the seppo version, but a couple of recipes I've drooled over specify it.

Depends on style loving Galaxy right now, Amarillo & EKG
Want to try Citra, Centennial & Syrian Goldings
Waiting for a brew that has Saaz then Simcoe & Amarillo to see if it comes thru

Loving Nelson Sauvin at the moment. Perfect hop for summer ales

Sazz! love em! and hallertau. Like them both together or apart. :p

M O T U E K A

I should try more though. Quite liked styrian goldings, I should do that again.

+1 on the Motueka.

Awesome drool factor :icon_drool2:

Quite enjoying using US Magnum too for bittering additions. Had some success on that front.

Hopper.

Northern Brewer Hop methinks.

Thanks mate. Looked back at thred and realised my self. Already had a couple and didn't pay atention. It happens from time to time. :chug: How does it tast or what commercial beers have it to get an idea?

An eight year old thread... now we are talking!

For me;

Centennial or Galaxy atm...

I love me fruits!

:icon_cheers:

Thanks mate. Looked back at thred and realised my self. Already had a couple and didn't pay atention. It happens from time to time. :chug: How does it tast or what commercial beers have it to get an idea?

The most well known international beer using Northern Brewer would be Anchor Steam Ale. This is the signature beer for the Steam Ale Style.

Locally I don't know of any commercial brewers using Northern Brewer here. Steam beers like Mountain Goat locally would use cascade I think so totally different flavour.

I've brewed with NB a little and I'd describe it as a neutral bittering hop or a neutral dual purpose hop (bitter & aroma), not really big on the bitter bite, and I find it quite grassy and a little herbal. That said I don't use tons of it in my brews when I've used it on a few batches, kept it around 28-32IBU.

Craftbrewer's site refers to it as "minty and woody" but they're referring to the stuff they currently have in stock.

Hopper.

Really enjoying CTZ and Centennial atm

Just a bit of a mix from the 'more popular' C/American hops

Sponge

Galaxy...for one main reason. My missus loves beers with galaxy in them so I can brew more without her cracking the shits providing I slip a galaxy hopped beer in there every 3rd brew or so to keep her happy. It's just a good thing I like it too.

Galaxy...for one main reason. My missus loves beers with galaxy in them so I can brew more without her cracking the shits providing I slip a galaxy hopped beer in there every 3rd brew or so to keep her happy. It's just a good thing I like it too.

I have to say it started at Amarillo. But lately I have been drawn in to Motueka... Some damn fine craft beers have used this very successfully as of late :icon_drool2: (Lookin at you Yeastie Boys Digital IPA!)

simcoe....SIMCOE ...........anddddd.....a bit more simcoe !

With Columbus and Centennial...........delicious.... :icon_drool2:

yeah I started with an Amarillo crush, now it's Galaxy and Centennial. Also love the B-Saaz (Motueka)

I'm down with Galaxy and Simcoe right now, but I'll whore around with Citra and stuff too.

Galaxy? Yep huge fan, citra? Lots o love also, Amarillo? Drool, centenial? Love it, simcoe? Great stuff! Nelson? In moderation,

Wai iti in combination with some of the above. Yeah baby!!!, not widely used I believe but I love the shite, (woot)

I feckin love hops in general but have found I've rather cooled on such as por, cascade, chinook. . Which oslo a shame as I've got shite loads of them in the freezer.. lol

I really like Challenger. And styrian Goldings. I'm also a fan of chinook in an apa - piney resin. Love a bit of cascade or centennial. Fond of amarillo. I love EKG in a nice English bitter and have and would use again target and first gold. I have good impressions of Northern brewer as a nice neutral hop. I have a great love for tettnanger in a german lager or alt or similar although I have recently been enjoying spalter and hallertauer. Saaz is a classic. I'm absolutely sold on PoR and cluster in a good aussie ale or lager.

Depends on what I'm brewing really.

Latest posts

Back