Whats Your Favourite Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of getting flamed, and dragging the thread off topic at the same time, i'm going to nominate the hop i really don't like.

And that's Saaz - i've only ever used it in pilsners, and only the NZ variety, but i really don't like the flavour. Hate it in fact.

jgriffin said:
At the risk of getting flamed, and dragging the thread off topic at the same time, i'm going to nominate the hop i really don't like.

And that's Saaz - i've only ever used it in pilsners, and only the NZ variety, but i really don't like the flavour. Hate it in fact.
[post="127909"][/post]​
I'm guessing your a fan of cascade tho. I have a theory that your either a saaz fanatic or a cascade fanatic. :ph34r:

Personally, I'm a saaz man!

vl.

jgriffin said:

[post="127909"][/post]​

JG,
There is really only one saaz hop and that is Czech saaz. There is a reason people were killed for taking the rhizomes out.

cheers
Darren

BTW, faves saaz for lagers and atm amarillo for ales

Probably Saaz. It's very versatile and can be used across a variety of Belgian and Germany style beers.

I also love some of the over-the-top american hops like Columbus, Simcoe and Centennial, but only if they're executed well. Cascade can be a wonderfully versatile hop, but if it's overdone it can be a little one dimensional.

All hops are good. :super: I have yet to use a hop I don't like.

Used 85g of Chinook in a recent hopburst APA :eek: , but needs more. :p

Nothing wrong with a bit of excess sometimes. I know we all like to think we are balanced but....

cascade allways good but luv Saaz Saaz Saaz

Bittering: Perle, Hallertau, Cluster and POR depending on style. Aroma/Flavour: Tettnug, Saaz, Cascade

For boutique style Pale's I was waiting to be shown the way to Amarillo, when Ross introduced me to Nelson Sauvin. The nose is similar to a sav blanc - in a beer, fantastic. Would put a horn on a jellyfish.

Northern Brewers, Hallertau,tettnug,Saaz, EK Gouldings and Amarillo.
If I told to use only one hop it would be Northern Brewers [with EK Gouldings 2nd].

Styrian Goldings in a bitter...!!! yum

ps. why isnt this a poll...?

Its a toss up between Amarillo and Cascade for me!!!! Love em!
Cheers
Steve

I go through phases, most recently US in excess... Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade.
Current fave is Northern Brewer, especially used with Simcoe to bitter American Ales.
EKG has always been in my freezer, so if I was left with one hop, that would be it.

East Kent Goldings has been at the top of my list for ages. I got 200g of pellets today & they are 6.9% a/a!! great aroma & flavour. They are going to go great with that bag of Maris otter that I got last week.
James

Tettnang, Hersbrucker and EKG would be the top 3.

Northdown is also becoming a regular in bitters, and Horizon is a regular for clean bitterness.

Cheers, Andrew.

In no order and for various reasons: Ahtanum, Amarillo, Centenial, NZ Hallertau, Green Bullet, Nelson Sauvin, those Styrian Golgings pellets from Slovenia, local Willamette, Super A.

I take it im the only one who likes green bullet?

They just taste so crisp, bitter and fresh its like drinking a lawn catcher. They smell great too!

Back