Whats Your Favourite Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Favourite is a hard one to pinpoint.
Really depends on the beer style.

Off the top of my head:
As a combination I love Spalt and Perle together.
In APA's Centennial, Magnum, Cascade and Amarillo.
In Irish Reds Slovenian Styrian Goldings.
Also a big fan of Tettnang, Hersbrucker and Hallertau in light coloured ales.

Doc

Norther Brewer is my staple bittering hop for both ales and lagers. Been getting into SaazB in lagers and good old goldings in ales. Need to get the brewery fired up again so I can give some of the new ones in the fridge a run.

Norther Brewer is my staple bittering hop for both ales and lagers. Been getting into SaazB in lagers and good old goldings in ales. Need to get the brewery fired up again so I can give some of the new ones in the fridge a run.

Mee too JasonY I get good results with NB

In my limited experience so far i would have to go with...

Cascade and EKG,

I am really impressed with the Nelson Sauvin,so sophisticated

Basically I'm a hop slut!

But if I had to pick just one - it would be Northern Brewer. It's an excellent bittering hop and can easily be used for flavouring and aroma if required or you run out of other hops....
Cheers,
TL

Northern Brewer, Willamette, Cluster and Amarillo. APA's and Ambers are the generally the staple beers in the fridge...

JS

I've never met a hop I didn't like.
Though there are people who use some hops in ways I don't like.

So, they are all favourites!

saaz is great in anything from pilsners to dark ales. Cant wait to try the B saaz, ive had beers with them in it but never used it myself

This is an excellent way to look at it. A hop for every place, and every hop in its place.

Like using bittering type hops for aroma etc or using way too much or too little?

i dont mind the odd nelson sauvinfor something wierd or just hal

I take it im the only one who likes green bullet?

Experimenting with green bullet lately with the onset of colder weather. I gotta agree, I like it. I think Steinlager boasts having fresh green bullet. I grabbed one to try. Hmmmm...... not my favourite beer but I'm starting to appreciate the subtleties of hops in lagers.

Northern Brewer, Willamette,

JS

Willamette ay......

I am planning to do an all willamette(front to back) Brown ale soon.(OL WILLY BROWN)
All the data points to it being a fuggles type,from pedigree etc......
I will prolly use Light munich as base with some choc to brown it up and use an english yeast for a fruity twang.

Northern Brewers cousin, Challenger is another one lined up for a single hop brew of an APA style.This hop has a real muted citrusy character to me(sort of marmaladey)and I think it may make an interesting twist to the APA style with a british spine.High IBU's with a real nose tingling addition in the end.

Both are still on the drawing board and will no doubt change a million times b4 brew day :rolleyes:

Northern Brewer, Willamette,

JS

Willamette ay......

Northern Brewers cousin, Challenger is another one lined up for a single hop brew of an APA style.This hop has a real muted citrusy character to me(sort of marmaladey)and I think it may make an interesting twist to the APA style with a british spine.High IBU's with a real nose tingling addition in the end.

Ah memories.
My very first All-grain was a brew called 'The Catapult' from the late Porchester Brewery - Ross will know it.
All Maris Otter, Challenger all the way through, 35IBU, OG around 1048 from memory.
I treated it sanely, Challenger at 60m, 30m, 10m and 0m; about 1g/l at the last two additions.
Lovely summer ale, but it will get much, much more Challenger next time around.
Get the heavy hands out Brauluver.
I'm just about to start another Challenger phase myself.
:beer:

take it im the only one who likes green bullet?

They just taste so crisp, bitter and fresh its like drinking a lawn catcher. They smell great too!

I think the votes three now, thought I use it as my standard bittering hop, never at the end.

Maybe my tastebuds are shot or I'm imune to it because I think it's quite neutral and lets the later additions of different hops come through nicely.

Green Bullet's the standard bittering hop, but the fav for finishing would be Goldings in anything Brit style or Saaz, especially the D or B types in just about anything else

Ah memories.
My very first All-grain was a brew called 'The Catapult' from the late Porchester Brewery - Ross will know it.
All Maris Otter, Challenger all the way through, 35IBU, OG around 1048 from memory.
I treated it sanely, Challenger at 60m, 30m, 10m and 0m; about 1g/l at the last two additions.
Lovely summer ale, but it will get much, much more Challenger next time around.
Get the heavy hands out Brauluver.
I'm just about to start another Challenger phase myself.
:beer:

the Catapult summer ale was always on tap here - but my latest version (on tap) includes Nelson Sauvin & Glacier - gives it a lovely twist...

cheers Ross

Like:
In Pommie ales: Northdown, East Kent Goldings, Challenger.
In APAs: Amarillo, Chinook, Simcoe (Chinook for aroma, Simcoe for smoooooth bittering)
General purpose: Northern Brewer. Lovely hop with a woody character. Goes great with EKG.
Real German Hallertauer.
Pride of Ringwood. Essential in Aussie styles, and just as good for bittering as anything else.

Hate:
UK: Target. Yucky overpowering marmalade character, but not nice like Challenger. Have found I can get ok results by using a tiny amount for bittering, but if I want that character I'd just use Challenger.
UK: Progress. Horrible cheap perfume aroma. Nasty.
US grown Hallertauer Mittelfrueh. Every beer I make with it gets this wierd catty sort of aroma like its pre-skunked.

Not had best results (don't know way)
UK: Fuggles. Similar objection to Progress but beer eventually came good.
Cz: Saaz. Every time I use Saaz pellets I get a grassy/fruity flavour which is nothing like the spicy goodness I associate with a Pilsner. Possibly stale hops?

Want to try but haven't yet:
Bramling Cross, Brewer's Gold, Pacific Gem, Green Bullet, Styrian Goldings.

If I was only allowed to brew with one kind of hops, I would choose East Kent Goldings in plug form.

yeah I know- it`s an old thread.
But I`m partial to Green Bullet and Mt. Hood when they`re available.
One hop I`ve yet to see get a mention is Topaz. Great bittering hop {around 14%AA}, vittually unheard of in Oz but grown at Rostrevor Hop Gardens in Vict. Got more kick than POR.

stagga.

id go NB for bittering cascade for flavor nelson for aroma or perle for a allrounder

Northern Brewers, Hallertau,tettnug,Saaz, EK Gouldings and Amarillo.
If I told to use only one hop it would be Northern Brewers [with EK Gouldings 2nd].

Ok :p here we go again with this old thread. as of two years ago [above] but add Nelson Sauvin.
NB still the one.

Latest posts

Back