Whats Your Favourite Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cascade, hallertau, fuggles, goldings
pacific gem & nelson sauvin are close runners up
experimenting with sticklebract and a few other crazy Kiwi hops atm.
(great lager weather in ADL, my bo-pils is sitting at 12C :) )

I am still experimenting with hops and I try and use different ones everytime I brew. I guess my most used favourites are Saaz, Fuggles and Hallertau.

In my latest batch I just used POR, and after reading what you typed Ross about "skunky/cheesey" flavours, I hope mine were fresh! :)

If you held a gun to my head and made me pick one though - I think I'd probably choose Saaz as my favourite - I love the taste of em. I'm also looking for ideas of what to brew next - so if anyone has a quick suggestion about what I should do next and a new hop to try with it feel free.

I might even have to buy some hops from Ross ;)

My favourite single hop variety is (and has been for a long time now!) Amarillo.

The others I have a particular affection for are:

B Saaz (lucky because I have 1kg in the freezer! :eek: )
EKG
Cascade (when the yearly amarillo supply crisis hits)

I also tried a bitter that KoNG made with Styrian Goldings and it was bloody fantastic! For those of you in the NSW Xmas in July case you might get to see what I mean (no pressure KoNG!! haha :lol: ). I could see that hop becoming a favourite of mine too although I haven't used it myself yet...

I don't have a favourite hop variety, but I have to say this. The beer I have made using hops from Craftbrewer are much better beers, in terms of hop freshness, than all the beer that I have made in the past. Oxygen barrier foil packaging must be responsible for this. :D

Simcoe's a pretty good new one, nice as a substitute for Cascade or as a clean high-AA bittering hop (although i haven't tried Amarillo just yet). Nelson Sauvin is pretty good too although i haven't found a perfect use for it (not bad in a Pils but then it's not a Pils).

Then the usual suspects - Saaz, Hallertau, Tettnanger, Challenger.

I have 9 different types of hops in the freezer now - Tettnanger, Cluster, PoR+ (13% AA), PoR, Saaz, Willamette, Challenger, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin.

I should really get on to NZ hops soon and get some NZ B/D Saaz and Hallertau as it's about time the 06 harvest is ready.

fuggles/goldings, amarillo & saaz are my regulars.

recently tried out some Santium (thanks to Ross) & I must say that I am impressed.

Centennial, lots of Centennial :beerbang:

My favourite hop is whatever is going into the current beer I am brewing.

cheers
johnno

At the moment Im loving the saaz in my pilsner :wub:

Hallertauer Hersbrucker,Tettnang,Northern Brewer, Saaz and Goldings, East Kent also using Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo for something diffrent, these are new to me and only done a few brews with them :( the Chinook was stronger then I thought and will up the Amarillo and reduce the Chinook, learning all the time .

bindi said:
Hallertauer Hersbrucker,Tettnang,Northern Brewer, Saaz and Goldings, East Kent also using Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo for something diffrent, these are new to me and only done a few brews with them :( the Chinook was stronger then I thought and will up the Amarillo and reduce the Chinook, learning all the time .
[post="127858"][/post]​

I also had my first experience with chinook just recently. I can't believe how much of this stuff you need for it to dominate the flavour. I love American hops, but chinook is a bit too over the top for me. In very small quantities its fine, but they've got to be small! Having brewed a couple of recent APAs with a bit lof chinook late in the boil I can really see how much of a vital ingredient it is in LCPA's flavour - I doubt you could make a real clone of that beer without some chinook late.

I have about 20g left that I am tentative about using! Maybe I should use it for bittering!!

T.D. said:
I have about 20g left that I am tentative about using! Maybe I should use it for bittering!!
[post="127877"][/post]​

Chinook used for bittering will turn your beer to grapefruit, so be really carefull. Much better as a late addition... I use only 10gms (15gm is too much) at 20 mins in my LCPA.

cheers Ross

I'm only on my 6th AG so still very new to hops... I have found that the freshness matters more than the variety... However given equal freshness I would say something along the lines of:
Cascade, Fuggles, Norther Brewer, American Centenial, Halertau Mittenfrau (have not yet tried the other variety)

Just been to Steve's place today and he very generously gave me a few grams of his freshly picked POR so I guess it is a Aussie pale ale next for me!

jayse said:
Misty Mountain Hop :super:
[post="127852"][/post]​
Would that be a Led Zepplin type of misty mountain

Normell

Ross said:
T.D. said:
[post="127877"][/post]​

Chinook used for bittering will turn your beer to grapefruit, so be really carefull. Much better as a late addition... I use only 10gms (15gm is too much) at 20 mins in my LCPA.

cheers Ross
[post="127882"][/post]​

I thought I was being clever and avoiding the grapefruit by using it for bittering!! :eek:

I used 20g at 5mins and another 20g at flameout in my last LCPA effort and it was way too much. I think you are spot on with your "max 10g" rule. I'll be doing more LCPA brews in the future no doubt, so I'll save it until then. I blame you for giving me such fresh hops Ross!! :lol: :p

Ross said:

cheers Ross
[post="127882"][/post]​

Doh!!! I just put down my second ag today, being an American IPA of somesort, I added 20 gms of chinook to my boil for 20 min. Oh well, will see how it turns out. By the way, my favourite hop without question is Czech Saaz.

Cheers :)

I've been on a series of bitters recently and loving the combination of challenger and EKG. Challenger for bittering, and then both for flavour and aroma.

Cheers
BK

Latest posts

Back