Whats Your Favourite/best Kit Can

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a recipe I have used for a while, makes a nice strong lager.

Black Rock Dry Lager
Dextrose 1kg
Maltodextrin 250gm
Raw Sugar 2 cups
DDM 100gm
I used the kit yeast with a little extra ale yeast( about 2gm)
Brewed around 15-16c for 14 days.
ABV in bottle 5.5%
Bottle condition for 8 weeks.
YUM :icon_cheers:

Thanks for that, the raw sugar, is that the brown stuff?

My stock standard is:

Thomas Coopers IPA Can
BE2
Fuggles Hop bag (in boiling water for 10 minutes)

21 degrees - 10 days in fementer

Very nice, mildly hoppy ale. Love it!

Any suggestions for other hop combinations would be appreciated though!

The first one I did when I got back into brewing was Coopers International series Aussie Pale Ale with 1kg of Dried Light Malt Extract on advice of the LHBS. I now try to have a keg of this on hand at all times (haven't been that lucky so far)

I leave it in the fermenter for 2 weeks then straight into the keg.

It's fairly drinkable straight away and if I can keep it around for six weeks then it starts to come into its prime.

Before the first APA was chilled I had started fermenting a corona clone to keep SWMBO happy, was a little upset when she prefered the APA and made me drink the Corona clone all on my own.

I've got a keg of Coopers Wheat beer currently in the fridge that came out okay. I think I'd prefer a little punchier flavour, but I might try it again later in the year as summer swiller.

I'll get into AG one day, but while bubs is young and time is short I'll stick with the K&K. It's crapping over anything I'd find in the bottlo for less than $50 a carton.

My Favourite is Morgans Canadian Light, Supa Alpha Hop Pellets, 1kg Dextrose, 250g Dried Corn Syrup, Taste like corona comes out about 4.5%

My Favourite is Morgan's Canadian Light, Supa Alpha Hop Pellets, 1kg Dextrose, 250g Dried Corn Syrup, Taste like corona comes out about 4.5%

Hi Pr3d470r (if that is your real name!)

I myself, do not enjoy Carona's. However, my wife loves them. So... In the interest of the a happy household can you please give me a few more directions on the process you take to create your Carona replica? (i.e. do you boil, or just throw in? throw hop pellets in dry? how much? when?)

Cheers!!!

Thanks for that, the raw sugar, is that the brown stuff?

It is brown but not 'brown sugar'
its labelled as raw sugar.
its the sugar before they take out all the molasses to make to white sugar, so its a little sweeter and adds a slighty toffee to the brew. It also weighs a lot more, almost twice as dense as white sugar.

I'll get into AG one day, but while bubs is young and time is short I'll stick with the K&K. It's crapping over anything I'd find in the bottlo for less than $50 a carton.

Right on Ted. kits rock if you can keep your temps controlled. and if thats what you like, I certainly agree on the APA, I have brewed basically the same recipe as yours :party: and its quite nice after about 8 weeks.

• Coopers Lager, Real Ale and Draught with 500 g of honey are excellent
  • Coopers Blonde, Pale Ale with half recommended additives
  • Coopers European Lager, Thomas Cooper Pilsner with half recommended additives

These are my favourites. No extra treatment, easy to make, let ferment for about 28 days, no need to filter. Clear, clean and nice. European and Pilsner leave for at least 6 months and even a year to get best taste.

Muntons Pilsner (the 1.8kg one)
1kg Light Dry Malt Extract
500g pils malt grain (if you can be bothered)
25g Nelson Sauvin hops put into a coffee plunger with boiling water for 5 minutes then plunged and added to fermenter
Nottingham or US-05 dried yeast in summer
W34/70 saflager in winter

Very nice drop

The whole "homebrand" choice is an interesting consumer decision.
I buy homebrand when ever possible. for example:-
Weetbix - a "different" taste to regular weetbix, but IMO not inferior.
Milk - we always get home brand
nappysan - always home brand
bread

however- I've never dared to try the home-brand home brew cans... I wonder why?

I have also wondered where they come from?
I'd almost guarantee they come from a "real" home brew factory --- like coopers or tooheys.

I've seen homebrand bread made on exactly the same bread lines as the other loaves you pay 4x as much for.
It's amazing the "value" of a "pretty" package.

Yet, I still haven't tried homebrand homebrew myself.

I ask myself, when I'm paying top $$$ for the "fancy" homebrew cans.... am I just paying for art work and marketing???

I have made many tooheys darks.
Blind taste tests back to back against coopers ..... I can't pick the difference.

Yet, once again, I know if they are both on the shelf at the same price, I always buy the coopers kit.
The "consumer" brain is a funny beast.
a quick input when you go to the movies and buy popcorn the popcorn ix somewhere around 10X cheaper than the packaging itself which is absolute bs

have you tried the home brand drought kit

sorry cant find how to edit and anyone liked the home brand drought kit any suggestions on the making additives i was thinking of doing my norm glucose + the tin

just so i can taste what the kit is meant to taste like and see if i need to improve it at all ]
i see if it aint broke don't fix it mind you this makes a really nice coopers lager kit also

im going to try this with the coopers drought i don't think the drought will be much different to the lager

but haven't made the drought going on 5 years when i used to brew b4 i gave up for a few years due to moving interstate

seems this thread is still kicking, so here's my 2c

Styles aside, if you want to do a simple k&k with the closest-to-commercial results, go with the Coopers stout.

When adding unhopped extracts, hops or steeped grains i've found the Coopers Lager or Tooheys Lager most adaptable. The comments earlier in the thread about Canadian Blonde are interesting and i may give that a try - perhaps even the Mex Cerveza can be taken in several directions given its low bitterness?

Have done stock standard Blonde with Coopers (many times) and Mangrove Jacks (once). The MJ's can may have been old as it tasted twangy and green even at 8 weeks. or maybe i got a bit of wild yeast in it?

Didn't read the entire thread to get the verdict on Woolies cans, but i'm willing to give it a go (tho' never, have probably for the "nice label" reason - but buy homebrand sugar, rice, milk so there you go).

One last note: Tooheys yeast is horrible and they only supply 5g ... dry-pitching that much yeast in 23L of wort should be a crime!!!!

Would have to say that the bishops English bitter is a top drop. Normally i would use a liquid burtons yeast with it.

If your are allowing cider into the equation then the mangrove jacks apple cider is worth a shout.

Just my opinion

Stock beer is

Thomas Coopers Draught
1kg Goodies pack
Hops, using different ones or a combo each brew.

Best brew

T C IPA
1kg Goodies pack.
500 g Dex
5g Citra into boil @ 10mins
15 g Citra @ flame out.
514 yeast. Made to 23litres
Fermented at 20C in fermenter for 14days.

FYI, Goodies pack is from my LHBS, has dex/ldm/dry corn syrup

Ivan.

I'm going to show someone how to pimp a can on his stovetop with grains & hop additions, and run through the technical theory before showing him how to brew all-grain. I'm unfamiliar with making beer using cans, so can someone tell me how Coopers calculate their stted IBU. If I were to use a light kit such as the Cerveza at a stated 270 IBU, what's the actual IBU ? I'm certain that the division is by batch size, but how many litres do they determine to be a standard ferment? 21? 23? other?

I'm going to show someone how to pimp a can on his stovetop with grains & hop additions, and run through the technical theory before showing him how to brew all-grain. I'm unfamiliar with making beer using cans, so can someone tell me how Coopers calculate their stted IBU. If I were to use a light kit such as the Cerveza at a stated 270 IBU, what's the actual IBU ? I'm certain that the division is by batch size, but how many litres do they determine to be a standard ferment? 21? 23? other?

Depends how many litres your batch is.

270/23 = 11 IBUs

270/19 = 14 IBUs

Either way - bloody flavourless! So bang on!

Ok, so that's the approach. I suspected as much

Flavourless is good for this project, I think. I'll have him throwing fistfulls of centennial & cascade at it to create the hop profile.

Would have to say that the bishops English bitter is a top drop. Normally i would use a liquid burtons yeast with it.

If your are allowing cider into the equation then the mangrove jacks apple cider is worth a shout.

Just my opinion

There seems to be quite a few people that mention the Bishops Bitter as a good kit....... keen to try this one, anyone got a good recipe??

Wow why didn't I find this thread before...this is great and gives me even more ideas for my next brew

Depends how many litres your batch is.

270/23 = 11 IBUs

270/19 = 14 IBUs

Either way - bloody flavourless! So bang on!

As it is a weight to volume dilution you need to first multiply by your kit's weight, then divide by volume.

I.e: 270(ibu) X 1.7(kg) = 459 Then 459/23 = 19.957 IBU

Back