Whats Your Favourite/best Kit Can

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the topic of favourite cans and the conspiracy theory that it is the same goop different label, has anybody ever tried the homebrand kits. They are always there in the homebrew section of woolworths but I can never bring myself to buy one.

Anybody had any experience?

They make beer.

I used them a lot when i started out, trying to find what i like. Didn't notice a huge difference between the homebrand stuff and coopers original series range, other than the yeast. The coopers international series range i found to be a better quality product, and not just paying for the nice pretty label. In my opinion, the coopers yeasts supplied with their tins are largely crap, but they are better than the homebrand ones. No idea if the goo in the tin is the same/similar/ etc. though.

+2 on Cooper's blonde with a BE1 kit.. :chug:
Bacchus & Barley have tried there's, liked the stout

The Coopers Pale Ale even by itself is a nice drop.. Just started adding hops to my beers so ive opened up a whole new game.. Wouldnt mind putting down another blonde with some cascade and amarillo possible one with honey too... Too many options to choose from and not enough fermenters..

Just did a Coopers Aussie Pale Ale with 300 DME and 700 dex............4 weeks kegged..........love it!

The ones without any bittering so you have to add real hops.

TCLightFull.jpg

well im pretty sure my hops arent fake mate...

Coopers Pale Ale (and a pack of Galaxy Hops which is ALWAYS purchased with every can)

i often see the tooheys kits always wondered if they are worth the time of day? Opinions?

Coopers English Bitter + 1Kg of light dry malt

you will be impressed

My point was, the stuff in the cans is isohop.

Not always. Coopers cans all use real hops, with only some cans (I'm guessing the more bitter cans) having some isohops added to raise the bitterness.

Coopers English Bitter + 1Kg of light dry malt

you will be impressed

Rod, i have a can of Coopers bitter, and a bit of LDM. Did you use the kit yeast and at what temps?

Coopers English Bitter, by far the best I've tried. I used to make it with 500g LDME, 100g Dex, 30g Styrian Goldings boild for just a few mins (or sometimes I dry hopped it), Wyeast 1968. Always beautiful

I always liked the Coopers Canadian Blonde tins. Always with a couple of hits of hops, either Cascade or Amarillo 10g's at 15mins and 10g's at 5mins :chug:

Cheers.

On the topic of favourite cans and the conspiracy theory that it is the same goop different label, has anybody ever tried the homebrand kits. They are always there in the homebrew section of woolworths but I can never bring myself to buy one.

Anybody had any experience?
The whole "homebrand" choice is an interesting consumer decision.
I buy homebrand when ever possible. for example:-
Weetbix - a "different" taste to regular weetbix, but IMO not inferior.
Milk - we always get home brand
nappysan - always home brand
bread

however- I've never dared to try the home-brand home brew cans... I wonder why?

I have also wondered where they come from?
I'd almost guarantee they come from a "real" home brew factory --- like coopers or tooheys.

I've seen homebrand bread made on exactly the same bread lines as the other loaves you pay 4x as much for.
It's amazing the "value" of a "pretty" package.

Yet, I still haven't tried homebrand homebrew myself.

I ask myself, when I'm paying top $$$ for the "fancy" homebrew cans.... am I just paying for art work and marketing???

i often see the tooheys kits always wondered if they are worth the time of day? Opinions?

I have made many tooheys darks.
Blind taste tests back to back against coopers ..... I can't pick the difference.

Yet, once again, I know if they are both on the shelf at the same price, I always buy the coopers kit.
The "consumer" brain is a funny beast.

I think the old primary school resolution should come into play..

NickJD... you show Manticle yours and he'll show you his.
... and can I see both please.... I have nothing to show.

Nowhere can I find any information that says "some" kits are isohopped.

It's more like ALL, except some conjecture that some Coopers kits aren't, but others are.

Has anyone got this from Coopers? And if they do vacuum evaporate hopped wort ... why no cost difference?

Coopers Lager cans are isohopped or I'm a Manticle's Uncle.

Anyway - my favourite cans are still the ones without any bittering.

References please. ;)

I'd have to hunt through my emails for the exact one but about a year ago I emailed Coopers to settle whether or not the tins were isohopped.

The reply was that all coopers beer worts were produced in the same way (kits and bottled beer alike). The kits are obviously further condensed and supplied with a different yeast.

The Cooper's rep continued on to say that fresh hops (flowers from memory but don't quote me on that one) are used in the kettle and bitterness is adjusted where necessary with hop extract.

I'll hunt through the emails and see if I can find it.

Meanwhile a reference that suggests which kits are solely isohopped is now your responsibility (and I have absolutely no doubt that some are).

After a quick search I found the relevant email. In it he says 'all our brews' which I interpreted to mean all Coopers brews but will admit is ambiguous

Attached with my full name and contact details edited out:

G’day Andrew,

We kettle fresh hops in all of our brews (Pride of Ringwood) and adjust bitterness with iso on some prior to packaging. We cover this and heaps of other interesting topics on our home brew forum.

Cheers,

Frank Akers

Home Brew Advisor

Coopers Brewery

Adelaide, SA

Toll free 1300 654 455

Join the Brewers Guild: www.coopershomebrew.com

To: Frank Akers
Subject: Isohop or fresh flowers/pellets in kit tins

Hi,

Just wondering if you can tell me if isohop extract is used in any of the coopers tins? Just some curiosity among fellow homebrewers.

Many thanks

Andrew

Latest posts

Back