What's up everyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHB_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's good to see your smiling faces so check in. What have you been up to brewing or not?

A day of adventures: tripped on some steps due to dodgy thongs and uncustomary sobriety and rendered right knee unusable. Have had to spend the day sitting around drinking NZ lager and trying to keep cool. 40C today on the patio, which I know is arctic for you guys. Feeling a bit better and managed to get up and make it to the fridge for refills.
IMG_20220327_193510.jpg

Poor old Nanouk is left clutching his ball with no chance of a walk in sight for some time.
Dog's life, innit!
Edit: relax. I didn't spill any beer during the fall.

Last edited:
Today i googled a question about my olives and ended up here…liked that thread so much i joined! We are currently talking about giving cider brewing a go, researching making our own essential oils with a still and trying to stay warm!

Now we moved in our new residence, we're flat out placing all our furniture in place and madly unpacking all the moving boxes.
Then it's into the brew shed to reassemble the brewery, but probably still some time off.
In the meantime, I need to join the local golf club so I can get some out of home time.
Also need to re-establish my model building and airbrushing areas.

Now we moved in our new residence, we're flat out placing all our furniture in place and madly unpacking all the moving boxes.
Then it's into the brew shed to reassemble the brewery, but probably still some time off.
In the meantime, I need to join the local golf club so I can get some out of home time.
Also need to re-establish my model building and airbrushing areas.
Don't do that, Philrob! Golden opportunity here. Put all the full boxes, golf clubs and models in the brew shed and reconstruct the brewery in the house. If there's any room left, bring in some of the furniture- nothing wrong with brewing in comfort.
It's all about priorities.
:cheers:

3 brews planned for this week. Stout of around 8%. A basic Wheat beer, 50% wheat 50% pilsner. And a Pilsner, hopped with Saaz. Looking forward to it.

3 brews planned for this week. Stout of around 8%. A basic Wheat beer, 50% wheat 50% pilsner. And a Pilsner, hopped with Saaz. Looking forward to it.
The breakfast stout looks particularly interesting.
🍳
Joking aside, stout is my favourite style. Will you be following a published recipe? This morning I translated the recipe from Gladfield site for their extra stout (by "translate" I mean finding local equivalents of their ingredients). It looks really wholesome and I like the idea of using Black Wheat instead of black malt and roasted barley.

Last edited:
Another big fan of black wheat, personally prefer the Weyermann to the other offerings available.
Mark

PS is the dog a Swiss Shepard?
M

Another big fan of black wheat, personally prefer the Weyermann to the other offerings available.
Mark

PS is the dog a Swiss Shepard?
M
Yes he is, but he seems to think he's a hunting dog, too.
Best natured dog I've ever known, but he can be too much at times.
I have to use Château Maltings' black wheat to get the roast/colour match. Breiss Midnight Wheat would be similar, but I can't find it here. I only know Weyermann's Dark Chocolate Wheat and that's a bit lighter so haven't tried it. Is that the one you mean?

No Weyermann do a Chocolate Wheat at around 1000 EBC it’s as dark as Roast Barley, Carafa 3...

Personally I think it leaves the Briess Midnight Wheat in the shade (sorry)
There is a bunch of name/trademark problems between Germany and the USA so the same product is often given different names, starting with CaraFoam/CaraPillis and moving up from there.

Been thinking about the next dog, that’s is one of the breeds that has a bunch of appeal. But for some other reasons a Standard Poodle is looking more likely.
Mark

No Weyermann do a Chocolate Wheat at around 1000 EBC it’s as dark as Roast Barley, Carafa 3...

Personally I think it leaves the Briess Midnight Wheat in the shade (sorry)
There is a bunch of name/trademark problems between Germany and the USA so the same product is often given different names, starting with CaraFoam/CaraPillis and moving up from there.

Been thinking about the next dog, that’s is one of the breeds that has a bunch of appeal. But for some other reasons a Standard Poodle is looking more likely.
Mark
Well, I can think of one of those reasons right now: daily temperature is peaking top 30s low 40s here over the last week or so and he's actually moulting in tufts. Cleaned the place up thoroughly yesterday and we're nearly back to square one already. I don't think poodles moult at all, do they?

I'll give the Weyermann a go as it's one I can get in France. Yeah its about 1000ebc compared with 1400 for Eclipse, but who needs all that "burn", it might actually give more flavour. In any case, It'll be a variation.

You will not be disappointed with the Weyermann Chocolate Wheat. I use a little regularly in most of my pale ales and bitters to give a little colour. I use healthy dose in my Porter recipe, with no burnt characters, just smooth coffee/chocolate like flavour.

It's good to see your smiling faces so check in. What have you been up to brewing or not?
Hi everyone! I am a fresher here and writing my first few words in this forum. I habe a small brewery in Switzerland (GibbonBräu gmbh). Whilst experimenting in brewing, I created a new brewhouse which works with cavitation (ultrasound). The prototype was built in Switzerland, and I am very proud to announce that it works very well in every single process of mashing and lautering. Many steps are easier, more efficient and with low oxygenation. Since I am not sure if anyone is interested in knowing more about it, I will just stop here, and in any case someone wants to know more, I am happy to share more details with you all and get some critical feedback. (patent pending - int. ptc enrollment) Best regards to all of you!

Very interested, might be worth starting a new thread.
Mark

Inquiring minds will want to know the basic design, the cost, and the possible advantages.

The breakfast stout looks particularly interesting.
🍳
Joking aside, stout is my favourite style. Will you be following a published recipe? This morning I translated the recipe from Gladfield site for their extra stout (by "translate" I mean finding local equivalents of their ingredients). It looks really wholesome and I like the idea of using Black Wheat instead of black malt and roasted barley.
stout.png

Thanks for the recipe @Paleman. That's a very interesting mixture of dark malts, I'm going to give it a go especially as I have nothing with oats in it at the moment and I've got all those ingredients (or decent subs) except the warrior hops- nope, I have got an unopened 100g pack at the back of the fridge that need using up. Result!
(I wonder why they recommend extra pale malt as a base for all those coloured malts).

Thanks for the recipe @Paleman. That's a very interesting mixture of dark malts, I'm going to give it a go especially as I have nothing with oats in it at the moment and I've got all those ingredients (or decent subs) except the warrior hops- nope, I have got an unopened 100g pack at the back of the fridge that need using up. Result!
(I wonder why they recommend extra pale malt as a base for all those coloured malts).
Thats my own recipe, the only reason for the pale base malt is because its all i have.

Thats my own recipe, the only reason for the pale base malt is because its all i have.
I'll send a full report when I start drinking it. Might need a week or two to get the brew on though as we had 46C on the terrace yesterday. Things have cool down somewhat today and the heatwave's moved north to frighten the Brits. 😎😎😂

Back