What's The Yeast Like In A Morgan's Dark Ale Can?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interloper

Reaction score
I've got a can of Morgan's Ironbark Dark Ale

Just wondering what opinion is like on the yeast that comes with Morgan's Dark Ale? Never done a Morgan's before so interested in opinions...

I've only just got back into brewing and did a Coopers Stout, impressed with the yeast and after about 2 weeks in the bottle the yeast has settled very compactly - better than Coopers commercial beers like Sparkling Ale, in fact :eek:

Bought my first Morgans (Australian Pilsener) today. Don't know if it's the same yeast as the dark ale which could be a top fermenter, however I plan to brew Wednesday and will let you know my impressions.

Like you, my first thoughts about this 'unknown' product was "Hm, wonder what the yeast's like :p " Given my excellent results with the Coopers. Let us know how you get on.

I cracked my first bottle of Morgans dark ale last night, it had only been in the bottles for two weeks and was fantastic!!!!

However I used a s-23 yeast which was recommend by my local HBS due to the colder weather.

Just wondering what opinion is like on the yeast that comes with Morgan's Dark Ale? Never done a Morgan's before so interested in opinions...

Is it 514

Interloper,

It took me 3 years and over 100 kit beers to decide that the second beer i made "Morgan's Ironbark Dark Ale" was my favourite kit..

Apparantly I'm a slow learner....

Back on topic.....

The kit beers that didn't require replacement of yeast were Muntons (also have kits branded beermakers and brewcraft) and Morgans in my experience.

So short answer is go with the kit yeast in this case. Be very wary about doing this with all kits...ask your LHBS attendant or AHB if your not sure.

And yes, once I made this kit with Safale S04 and it was no better.

What were you thinking of going with to make up the rest of your fermentables?

PB :D

Excellent advice, many thanks. I was aiming for a decent choc porter so brewed this up yesterday with a pre-pack kit from my LHBS called "London Porter"

Which had:
250gms choc malt dark roasted barley
500gms LDME
500gms Maltodextrin
250gms dex
20gms Fuggles

I added another 250gms of LDME and 100gms of Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate.

The smell from the grain was awesome as it boiled and soooo dark! Pitched with kit yeast and 150mls of harvested Nottingham liquid from pervious batch (for luck!)

PS: LHBS suggested yeast was.... Liquid wyeast @ $17 a pack. I passed ...

Interloper,

It took me 3 years and over 100 kit beers to decide that the second beer i made "Morgan's Ironbark Dark Ale" was my favourite kit..

Back on topic.....

The kit beers that didn't require replacement of yeast were Muntons (also have kits branded beermakers and brewcraft) and Morgans in my experience.

So short answer is go with the kit yeast in this case. Be very wary about doing this with all kits...ask your LHBS attendant or AHB if your not sure.

Interloper,

Back on topic.....

Hey mate just wanted to no what your recipe was ??
i was pretty impressed with the morgans australian draught so...

ill give this a go when i go buy another keg tomoro night.

This afternoon did two Morgans brews. As an experiment, rehydrated then 'fed' the yeast on some wort for the first brew for around an hour, and just dry pitched the yeast in the second brew. Four hours later, the 'activated' yeast is now (22 degrees) blooping every four minutes or so, obviously coming alive and flexing its muscles. The dry pitched brew hasn't moved the airlock but looking through the semi transparent top of the fermenter, white patches of yeast 'colony' are already forming so it won't be too far behind.

Will be interesting in a few weeks to find out how well it compacts in the bottles. Cracked a couple of Coopers stouts this evening and the yeast was sticking to the bottoms of the bottles like the proverbial to a blanket :rolleyes: . I bottle in 2L PET and I find, so far, that the Coopers yeast settles down into the five 'roots' of the bottles and clings there for grim death and the brew comes out clear down to the last 10 ml. Looking forward to seeing how the Morgans performs.

Will keep posted

Two of my favourite kits are from Morgans... The Blue Mountains lager and the Dockside Stouts are both great kits!

Hey mate just wanted to no what your recipe was ??
i was pretty impressed with the morgans australian draught so...

ill give this a go when i go buy another keg tomoro night.

Stevenk,

The simplist and best was just Morgans Ironbark Dark Ale kit + 500g LDME, 250g cornsyrup, 250g dextrose...kit yeast approx 4.4% Alc.

A couple of times I upped the dex for 5.5% easy drinking dark ale...yum :chug:

PB :beer:

Yup, I've heard some good reports about the Ironbark Dark ale so I did one today plus a kilo of light dried malt extract and 500 of dex. No hop teabag as I'm looking for something smooth and malty like the British dark strong ales I used to drink as a lad. I note that the yeast is labelled "Ale Yeast" that answers a question I posed above.

The two Morgans brews I did yesterday are now both going like a train and have caught up with each other. :)

Just bumping the thread to report on the yeast. Bottled only three days ago and the beer has just about dropped bright already. I bottle in 2L PET so it's easy to check clarity etc. WRT Morgans yeasts in general I did 3 brews at the same time, 2 Morgans and a Coopers. I inadvertently pitched a Morgans yeast into a Coopers brew and vice versa!

Morgans is a Queensland Bitter 750 dex and 500 LDME with Cluster teabag - Coopers yeast
Coopers is a Bavarian Lager 750 dex and 500 LDME with Hallertauer teabag - Morgans yeast

Currently five days out the Coopers plus Morgans yeast has dropped almost bright and by the weekend should by crystal clear
The Morgans plus the Coopers yeast is woeful by comparison with clouds of yeast just hanging around in the bottom quarter of the bottle.

The last Coopers Stout I made the yeast became very tightly packed and I could pour bright beer up to the last 10ml or so in the bottle so here's hoping eventually.

Current impression is that Morgans yeasts rock :super:

sounds good. :) i have only had good luck so far with my brews, all bar the last two were morgans. 1 of them was a tin from a morgans brewing kit, no idea how long it had been in there.

the last two were ESB 3 liter jobbies. they both had safale 04 in them so i expect they should work fine. that plus the amount of gooey goodness in them promises good results. i think in general the new kits seem to be competing nicely providing some good results for k&kers.

just out of curiosty where are you getting your gear from bribieg?

just out of curiosty where are you getting your gear from bribieg?

Bribie Home Brew n Bits. They are really well stocked on Morgans. I also get the odd Coopers from there as well, as they are about the same price as the supermarkets. However I did buy 2 cans of Coopers lager from Woolies on Special but just to try making a two-can brew (the lager is the least bitter of the Coopers Original range so is the obvious choice for a 'toucan' :) . Haven't had a chance to get down to Chermside or Kedron yet.

As far as yeast goes, I'm considering using Morgans Yeast for everything including Coopers kits based on current results.

Final final final bump of this thread: :p
Ironbark has only been in the bottles for a week but, being a top fermenter I figured it would be 'sampleable' at this stage.
Tastes fantastic, smooth and caramel overtones. I didn't use extra hops but a Kg of LDME and 500 dex so at this stage it's still a bit sweet like an English 'milk stout'.

However, OT, the yeast is absolutely brilliant. It's already worked its way down into the 'roots' of the PET bottles and refuses to come out on pouring!! (Unlike the Coopers lager yeasts)

More than happy and will culture some for next top ferm. brew.

Back