What's The Difference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing as Craftbrewer now do 5L blank minikegs, this would be the dux nutz for dispensing and I wonder if they could get onto something like the keg king one. Now I wonder what bulbs they take? The Screw in ones are dear as poison but I think you can get the plain push-in ones in bulk boxes for a fraction of the price - at least you could a couple of years ago when I got my keg charger. Which only takes the expensive ones :(

Seeing as Craftbrewer now do 5L blank minikegs, this would be the dux nutz for dispensing and I wonder if they could get onto something like the keg king one. Now I wonder what bulbs they take? The Screw in ones are dear as poison but I think you can get the plain push-in ones in bulk boxes for a fraction of the price - at least you could a couple of years ago when I got my keg charger. Which only takes the expensive ones :(

So I've been pondering these things for a couple of days, and came across this post where someone has built an awesome adapter with corny ball lock posts on it.

Now, I just had an idea, which might be characteristically retarded of me because I have never kegged beer and may be missing part of the puzzle...

...but why not just jam a barbed fitting + Corny post through the bungs, gas in at the top and beer out where the existing tap is?

Something like... this 1/2" barb, plus a reducer, plus this Cornelius plug adapter plus this beer post... shoved through one of these rubber bungs.

Am I onto something?

So I've been pondering these things for a couple of days, and came across this post where someone has built an awesome adapter with corny ball lock posts on it.

Now, I just had an idea, which might be characteristically retarded of me because I have never kegged beer and may be missing part of the puzzle...

...but why not just jam a barbed fitting + Corny post through the bungs, gas in at the top and beer out where the existing tap is?

Something like... this 1/2" barb, plus a reducer, plus this Cornelius plug adapter plus this beer post... shoved through one of these rubber bungs.

Am I onto something?

Dunno.
BTW that bling adapter is great.
I've got a few of these 5L kegs lying around here along with the plastic spear thingy that comes with them, minus one vital bit. You can play around with them if you want.

I've got a few of these 5L kegs lying around here along with the plastic spear thingy that comes with them, minus one vital bit. You can play around with them if you want.

Yes please!

And BTW that should apparently have been a 1/4" barb / NPT adapter, therefore no reducer. Might just have to order some bits and test it out.

Seriously? That's just dangerous. These kegs weren't made to take pressure.

Seriously? That's just dangerous. These kegs weren't made to take pressure.

Don't they come under pressure?

I understand that people refill and naturally carb in them, creating more pressure than typical CO2 serving pressure...

If you're are naturally carbing the kegs, and only adding a little CO2 when needed to serve, that's probably okay, but no, they aren't carbed in the kegs, or carbed higher than normal beer. Already carbed beer is added. Very different. Using CO2 to carb the kegs is bloody dangerous, and I think these kegs shouldn't be fitted with a CO2 posts.

If you're are naturally carbing the kegs, and only adding a little CO2 when needed to serve, that's probably okay, but no, they aren't carbed in the kegs, or carbed higher than normal beer. Already carbed beer is added. Very different. Using CO2 to carb the kegs is bloody dangerous, and I think these kegs shouldn't be fitted with a CO2 posts.

You could always carb under dispense pressure?

I use PET bottles with carbonator caps to carb any beer which can't fit in the keg. Can carb those very quickly by shaking the hell out of them under dispense pressure (which is carb pressure)

You could, and it'd probably be okay for most people most of the time. Just saying that the lack of a pressure release valve combined with the flimsy construction of the kegs has me worried.

Ah those golden days when Pink Floyd were just getting a go on, everything was swinging and groovy......

watneys_party_7.jpeg

My goodness, we used to take Party 7's to parties, leave em and nick the good stuff, when at uni in London. Watneys Red Barrel, ugh!!
Can remember Youngs as being a really good pint from the "wood", and many more.

Am I onto something?

i'm also active on that forum, the idea with this system is a compact kegging system.
a more cost effective version of the "Party Star" as you use a proper gas system not the expensive bulbs.

as to your idea, it could work but the built-in tap is not designed to work under pressure. in the above mentioned system it bypasses the weak spot of the tap by using a proper one.

I bought this one a few years ago. I probably only used it about 3 times.
It worked ok, and I've still got it somewhere, but in the end I bought a 9 litre corny keg and stuck the Party Star on the shelf.
You can only use the mini kegs a few times before you have to throw them away.
They are not stainless steel and the inside is protected by plastic film, which eventually starts to break up.

Your really better off paying a bit more for a 9 litre stainless keg which can be re-used as many times as you like.
For portability you can even connect a tap directly to the post. Or you can use one of those cheap Bronco taps connected to some beer line.
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=871
For Co2 you can use soda stream bottles or one of these....
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=979

Here's a fairly cheap 9L keg on Ebay. Not sure how good these one are though. Likely Chinese made.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9Litre-Ball-Loc...=item336cfbc7a7

i looked at the 9L. the problem is that it won't fit in my fridge without taking everything else out first.
Bummer.
If your going to buy the likes of the Party Star just remember that you'll need to replace those kegs every now and then, which can get expensive.
There have been threads in the past about 5L stainless kegs that McDonald's used to use. Might be hard to find these days though.
After a quick look, here's a thread about them...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=22703

Bummer.
If your going to buy the likes of the Party Star just remember that you'll need to replace those kegs every now and then, which can get expensive.
There have been threads in the past about 5L stainless kegs that McDonald's used to use. Might be hard to find these days though.
After a quick look, here's a thread about them...

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=22703
hopefully the mini's are only a stopgap measure until i can get a full sized system.

Back