What's On The Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry mate i was playing, dont know exactly what cassia bark is...acacia bark however is what you extract to make DMT. (google it otherwise im gonna get in trouble for sneaky highjack's)

I wonder if that is what was in my special super shake on the Thai Islands all those years ago.... There were worms and flying lobsters I swear! I became friends with the worms.

I would be pretty keen to learn some tricks from your wife!
Everybody is keen to learn the secrets of Japanese cooking. As soon as you cut off your little finger and send it to me in the post you will be qualified to know. No, hang on, that's the yakuza. No secrets here, she loves sharing her cooking, just ask Screwy. We may have to set up a recipe exchange program. In fact reading this comment a few days ago and finding out you were in West Oz started a little thought in my head the other night. I'd be interested in taking a bit of time off work and eating and drinking our way around the country and visiting some like minded foodie/brewers. Who knows we could end up over your way. Spent a lot of my leave in Perth when I was in the navy and I loved it.

Mapu dofu is a regular event in our household as well. How's your Korean cooking? We had bibimba on Sunday night. It is a weird thing that you present beautifully in a bowl and the first thing you do is destroy it by mixing it all up. Bloody tasty though. The secret is the Korean curry paste in the red tub. My wife can't read it but knows which one to buy.

bibimba.jpg

Always welcome Henno for sure....

Ive got Korean cook books but never attempted but got me thinking now! Ive had kim chi and i know protein is a big thing in Korean cooking. Phillipines is on my list aswell. Kind of like making beer so much to brew, so much to cook but only so many days and time... That looks yummy by the way. For some reason I thought you guys travelled around quite abit.

Oh dear, is it possible to hijack your own thread? :blink:

We don't travel as much as we'd like. Last year was NZ and before that Japan to see the inlaws. Next OS trip will be somewhere whacky neither of us has been. My vote is Germany and Belgium for some obscure reason.

We were actually talking about kim chi today on the way home from work. We met in the tourist industry and I have ferried around most Asian races in buses. I can tell you that the regular consumption of Kim Chi leads to an interesting smell coming from your skin and breath. Ask any tour bus driver what it's like having 54 Koreans sitting behind him, I bet he mentions the smell. Turns out some Koreans eat it 3 times a day. I can't fathom having something spicy for breakfast! I couldn't get my head around really fishy fish for brekky in Japan either I suppose.

I know nothing about Phillipine food. Would assume it would involve a lot of seafood being a mostly island nation.

I gotta tell you im really emvious of some of the meals you guys are eating. Im a chef and my dinner is usually a cup of noodles at 11pm.

Cheers
Scotsman

Mapu dofu is a regular event in our household as well. How's your Korean cooking? We had bibimba on Sunday night. It is a weird thing that you present beautifully in a bowl and the first thing you do is destroy it by mixing it all up. Bloody tasty though. The secret is the Korean curry paste in the red tub. My wife can't read it but knows which one to buy.

Wow! Very impressed henno. Had that dish at a local korean restaurant a few times. So yum i cant order anything else when i go there!

Recipe would be good, a photo of the mystery jar of paste would be even better!

EDIT - spelling

Here is the mystery paste. It's called Gochujang but if you can't find it and have to ask apparently the Koreans pronounce it Kochujung.

gochujang.jpg
Apparently it cost us $6.10. Up here we can only get the 500g size, Teri says she would buy the 250g if she could get it as it lasts ages.

I have never eaten this at a restaurant but now she is all embarassed that people are comparing hers to the professional versions. Apparently the restaurant version can have the spicy sauce on top with all the different ingredients and it is served on a bed of plain rice so when you mix it the whole lot ends up spicy. Ours has the paste mixed through the rice first with a little sesame oil to taste and the plain ingredients dumped on that.

Minced pork, supposed to be beef but I am a weirdo, is just stir fried with a little soy. Egg is just scrambled and folded. The bean sprouts were mixed with a little kim chi juice. The carrots are yummo, they are stir fried with sesame seeds, obviously but also sesame oil.

There is a korean market just around the corner from my work and have rows of that stuff.

I know what Im doing at lunch!

Here is the mystery paste. It's called Gochujang but if you can't find it and have to ask apparently the Koreans pronounce it Kochujung.

View attachment 29693
Apparently it cost us $6.10. Up here we can only get the 500g size, Teri says she would buy the 250g if she could get it as it lasts ages.

I have never eaten this at a restaurant but now she is all embarassed that people are comparing hers to the professional versions. Apparently the restaurant version can have the spicy sauce on top with all the different ingredients and it is served on a bed of plain rice so when you mix it the whole lot ends up spicy. Ours has the paste mixed through the rice first with a little sesame oil to taste and the plain ingredients dumped on that.

Minced pork, supposed to be beef but I am a weirdo, is just stir fried with a little soy. Egg is just scrambled and folded. The bean sprouts were mixed with a little kim chi juice. The carrots are yummo, they are stir fried with sesame seeds, obviously but also sesame oil.

Champion, and bigups to your better half, that looks super tasty. Nothing to be embarrsed about at all!

Hopefully my local chinese grocer stocks the paste

Korean spaceman food apparently taking it from the image on that tub!

Some top stuff there guys ;)
I have been doing a lot of chinese cooking lately.Bought a wok cooker from ebay(its like a flame thrower :D )
The rice we do is better than our local chinese restaurant and the meat dishes are pretty bloody good to
Will get some pics next time I cook

Not the best marinara pizza we've done but still better than anything you can buy in this town. The lemon was a new innovation. Next time we'll peel it so it's not so over the top. Wife makes a beautiful tomato base from scratch as is the crust, obviously.

pizza.jpg

Not the best marinara pizza we've done but still better than anything you can buy in this town. The lemon was a new innovation. Next time we'll peel it so it's not so over the top. Wife makes a beautiful tomato base from scratch as is the crust, obviously.

View attachment 29719

yummy Henno nothing like home made pizza, my partner lloydie is very good at making pizza's and bread you probably have seen. Maybe next time on the pizza just use some lemon zest and a scatter of parsley and garlic.

Try this on a pizza I called it the BENT, which is sweet chilli sauce, banana's, prawns and tiny bit of cheese and coriander. Its so nice!

Your pizza looks the bomb by the way.

and please enlighten us as to what BENT stands for kaytea.

Try this on a pizza I called it the BENT, which is sweet chilli sauce, banana's, prawns and tiny bit of cheese and coriander. Its so nice!

You don't mind a choof or two then Katie :D

Thanx to everyone who replied to my brussel sprout question :beer:

You don't mind a choof or two then Katie :D

Thanx to everyone who replied to my brussel sprout question :beer:

Used to not a huge fan anymore, I know it sounds strange but it was our biggest seller. The flavours go well together.

Henno i think my first Korean dish might be Bulgogi... Have you had that? I have two recipes for it and one is salted. Apparently the 2nd most famous dish next to kimchi of cause.

Im cooking a singapore curry now!

Henno i think my first Korean dish might be Bulgogi... Have you had that? I have two recipes for it and one is salted. Apparently the 2nd most famous dish next to kimchi of cause.

Haven't had it or heard of it Katie but after a bit of a google around I will be lobbying the Asian expert in the house to give it a go. Please take a pic of how it turns out.

Back