Whats On Tap At The Platform Bar - Brissy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think possibly the best we can hope for is a hybrid, a mix of of megaswill & craftbrewed taps. Toowoomba have done it with the Spotted Cow, I don't see why the concept can't work in Brisbane. Without having seen or intimate knowledge of the contracts I can't see how they would preclude any independent taps. I would have thought any of that restriction could fall under the ACCC in some form.

Cheers

Paul

I wonder how hard they tried to keep what they had or wether they just bent over the second they were asked/told or was there absolutely nothing they could do?
If someone did just bow down and didn't try his or her damned hardest to work out something better, or simply is just taking the easy way out, then I hope that person is also stuck behind the bar on a friday night, with a bar full of loud annoying mainstream swill drinkers and there wine guzzling partners, run of their feet serving people who you couldn't care less about.

I think possibly the best we can hope for is a hybrid, a mix of of megaswill & craftbrewed taps. Toowoomba have done it with the Spotted Cow, I don't see why the concept can't work in Brisbane. Without having seen or intimate knowledge of the contracts I can't see how they would preclude any independent taps. I would have thought any of that restriction could fall under the ACCC in some form.

Cheers

Paul

Yep that's definitely the model that is sustainable. However as a business it'd be fairly difficult to have a tap with independent on it, then be offered a contract by the big boys for exclusive use of it.

Popped into the Platform bar for a few beers last time I was in Brisbane, shame to hear it's no longer being run in the same way.

But I'm confused, isn't a tap contract usually with one OR the other brewery? Cookie has a rotating free tap and the rest are CUB beers.

It took a big investment/risk for The Local Taphouse to do what they have done but it certainly has paid off. Maybe Ross can expand his empire and open a craftbeer bar? ;)

Yep that's definitely the model that is sustainable. However as a business it'd be fairly difficult to have a tap with independent on it, then be offered a contract by the big boys for exclusive use of it.

<Cover my arse>.. It was alleged to me that the last thing that one of the big two (supermarkets who own pubs) want to see is drinkers in a public bar. For them it is out of their comfort zone & has far more risks than they are prepared to accept. That's why the fishing, pool & darts associated with these pubs are no longer.
It was alleged by a person was running one of these pubs when they introduced "pourage rights" staff were told when a patron asked for a rum & coke & didn't specifically request a Bundy & coke they were to be supplied with a Cougar Rum (who had pourage rights) & cola. Well you could imagine the uproar when some of the regulars received a rum other that Bundy. The person who alleged this then advised the staff to confirm with the patron what rum they would like, with the overwhelming response being Bundy rum. This allegedly was frowned upon by an area supervisior who obviously had never delt with an angry bundy drinker.

Cheers

Paul

A couple of years ago there was a plan B to reopen the Brewhouse at the old Sandgate Post Office building, but I guess that would have been just too far out of town. I wonder how a place in the Portside / Newstead / Hamilton area would go - they recently demolished the bogan drive through and built a new Dans so clearly it's perceived as an area where grog connoisseurs gather, plus the passing trade and access to a heap of near-inner-city population.

AFAIK plan B was defeated by a biding war (and potential heritage renovation costs). Pity because it'd have been a good day trip out by train.
I still think a brewpub at Redcliffe with water views would make a go of it - but Campbell hasn't won lotto yet :ph34r:

I wonder how hard they tried to keep what they had or wether they just bent over the second they were asked/told or was there absolutely nothing they could do?
If someone did just bow down and didn't try his or her damned hardest to work out something better, or simply is just taking the easy way out, then I hope that person is also stuck behind the bar on a friday night, with a bar full of loud annoying mainstream swill drinkers and there wine guzzling partners, run of their feet serving people who you couldn't care less about.
Spot on Jayse. This is exactly what happened at the Platform Bar. Once Matt left, the current bar manager didn't have the sophistication, nous or drive to take what had already won Queensland's best small beer bar and raise it to greater heights. Instead, she went down the contract tap option and stuffed the golden goose with a Fat Yak. Last time I was there, she was serving swill drinkers and wine guzzlers.

- Snow

A couple of years ago there was a plan B to reopen the Brewhouse at the old Sandgate Post Office building, but I guess that would have been just too far out of town. I wonder how a place in the Portside / Newstead / Hamilton area would go - they recently demolished the bogan drive through and built a new Dans so clearly it's perceived as an area where grog connoisseurs gather, plus the passing trade and access to a heap of near-inner-city population.

It's been there a little longer than "recently". It's been at least a couple of years. About the same time ALH took over some smaller companies and branded everything BWS (which Dan's was for a while).

I now live equidistant between Dans Chermside, DFO airport and Hammo.

Great.

Goomba

<Cover my arse>.. It was alleged to me that the last thing that one of the big two (supermarkets who own pubs) want to see is drinkers in a public bar. For them it is out of their comfort zone & has far more risks than they are prepared to accept. That's why the fishing, pool & darts associated with these pubs are no longer.
It was alleged by a person was running one of these pubs when they introduced "pourage rights" staff were told when a patron asked for a rum & coke & didn't specifically request a Bundy & coke they were to be supplied with a Cougar Rum (who had pourage rights) & cola. Well you could imagine the uproar when some of the regulars received a rum other that Bundy. The person who alleged this then advised the staff to confirm with the patron what rum they would like, with the overwhelming response being Bundy rum. This allegedly was frowned upon by an area supervisior who obviously had never delt with an angry bundy drinker.

Cheers

Paul
<off colour off topic>
Strictly speaking Paul you failed to close your <Cover my arse> tag so it could be argued your arse is still uncovered and open...
</off colour off topic> (see what I did there ;) :)...)

<off colour off topic>
Strictly speaking Paul you failed to close your <Cover my arse> tag so it could be argued your arse is still uncovered and open...
He's always liked to live dangerously. :D

Spot on Jayse. This is exactly what happened at the Platform Bar. Once Matt left, the current bar manager didn't have the sophistication, nous or drive to take what had already won Queensland's best small beer bar and raise it to greater heights. Instead, she went down the contract tap option and stuffed the golden goose with a Fat Yak. Last time I was there, she was serving swill drinkers and wine guzzlers.

- Snow

While I don't know the full story I seem to remember that the pub went under new ownership as of last year so it may not have been the manager who had the say.

<off colour off topic>

<Recover my arse>

:lol:

Paul

What Brisbane needs is one (or a chain of) these debacle.
Simple and trendy.

XXXX Gold in the fridge and Coopers Pale Ale on tap.

Now while I like Coopers Pale Ale, it's not really in keeping with what I would have expected at the Platform Bar.

Other taps:

Stone and Wood Draught Ale
Cider (dunno which one)
LCPA
James Squire Pilsner
Burleigh Hef

I've erased the others from my memory.

XXXX Gold in the fridge! FFS! :(

Coopers & LCPA on tap ... with Burleigh Hef & Stone & Wood ... could be worse.

Are they still using those 'schmiddy' glasses and charging $6-10 a pop?

We made the decision at Harts that we will never sign a contract. That was easy. a) we coughed up big $$'s to refurb the taps. B) we are an independent beast c) if you need a contract to buy beer then it aint a good relationship to start with.

Not signing a contract means that we cannot have access to several small craft brands of big companies. That is personally disappointing; I'd love to have some of the beer made by brewers i have (gulp) known for almost 20 years when they were still a home brewer like me and had a beer with at Clovelly ESB (i still brew at home.. booyah).

With such a large swell of popularity of beer in general at the platform bar, it is a shame that common sense has not ruled the day. Pull the strings in on the contract, kill the diversity of the bar and people might, second gulp, drink wine or spirits. Glad if this is the case that Harts is the only pub selling beer in Sydney without a contract to one of the nazi-big boys .... vote 1 pubs saying no to contracts .... and +2 .. and +3 ...

Scottty

Well, What's on at the Platform Bar - Brissy

We know known what's on, maybe RIP for this thread :(

Coopers & LCPA on tap ... with Burleigh Hef & Stone & Wood ... could be worse.

Are they still using those 'schmiddy' glasses and charging $6-10 a pop?

Yeah it could be worse but it has been a hell of a lot better. Not sure of the prices as I got food included in my shout.

I know from my discussions the decision was not the managers.

Platform management have been very supportive of my beer and other small and large independent brewers. The night we had in Dec was one of their biggest events from a bar takings point of view.

If a pub is owned by someone who is not passionate about craft beer the mighty dollar will win out over a manager that want to support craft beer.

Platform was good while it lasted.

Latest posts

Back