Whats On Tap At The Platform Bar - Brissy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went to platform and there is still a pulse!

Had little creatures marzen, s&w and an aged keg of coopers sparkling. Was even some talk of a beery event later in the year.

As much as it hurts to see the taps tied up its better than most bars in the cbd.

What were the restof the taps? James Squire?

Yeah, it's better than most still, but since I never get up there during the week, and it's always closed on weekends, I just opt for bus 199 and head to Archive.

I refuse to drink Schmiddies which are a complete rip off, so apart from special occasion's like WSC's do, I've not frequented the place much. The one time I did meet up for a drink there I reckon I could have brewed better ales with one hand tied behind my back. Actually probably wrong there, it's probably quite hard to brew orange-coloured frozen chill hazed Amarillo - infested stuff then charge myself $20 a litre to drink it :rolleyes:

I refuse to drink Schmiddies which are a complete rip off, so apart from special occasion's like WSC's do, I've not frequented the place much. The one time I did meet up for a drink there I reckon I could have brewed better ales with one hand tied behind my back. Actually probably wrong there, it's probably quite hard to brew orange-coloured frozen chill hazed Amarillo - infested stuff then charge myself $20 a litre to drink it :rolleyes:

For those interested Ill drop into Brewhouse tomorrow and post what is on tap. Seems the best of Brisbane is on the South side of town these days. Achive, Brewhouse, German Club.
Daz

Well the Platform Bar is no more, as the Platform Bar that is. I stuck my head through the door and see that it's now officially "The Platform Cafe" and there were several power dressed ladies in there eating salads and I'm sure I saw my aunty Maude with a floral hat munching on Scones and jam. Didn't check the taps, went next door to the main bar and had a pint of Stella. Italian guy started talking to me so I went outside and drank the Stella there, guy followed me out and sat beside me - obviously looking for a Daddy Bear. :D - but I couldn't oblige as I had to get the train.
As first beer of the day the Stella wasn't too bad, they sneak some Saaz in there and nice clean bittering etc - easily up there with the likes of Henninger / Oettinger which was a surprise that they have held the quality of the original BUL over the years.

Vale PB.

... and then just as you got on the train they changed the sign to the Platform Boozer, turned the music off, spun the bar around to reveal 100 taps of the finest beers all at $3 a pint and served at temperatures appropriate to their style, with free bar snacks.

The opium's wearing off now. :mellow:

I just stuck my head in 10mins ago.

Had the usual beers:

Coopers pale
S&w
White rabbit
Cider
Hoegaarden
Few others I can't remember.

Went next door and bought mop brew dark ale, innis and gunn and a bishops finger.

... and then just as you got on the train they changed the sign to the Platform Boozer, turned the music off, spun the bar around to reveal 100 taps of the finest beers all at $3 a pint and served at temperatures appropriate to their style, with free bar snacks.

Not to mention the " Happy hour - pints of Landlord $2 with free pork scratchings!"

:ph34r:

At Chappos request here is what is going on at the Platform Bar:

Squire Amber
Fat Yak Pale Ale
Hoegaarden
Squire Golden
Little Creatures Bright Ale
LCPA
Squire Pilsner
Stone and Wood Draught

Dropped in for a lunch beer last week and the Platform tap-list was somewhat similar to the one posted to open this thread back in '09 Taps as follows:
  • Bulimers Pear Cider
  • Cooper's Extra Stout
  • Stone & Wood Pacific
  • Mad Brewers Noir Stout
  • Little Creatures Rogers
  • Fat Yak
  • James Squire Amber
  • Hoegaarden

They got rid of the schmiddy and served up my Mad Brewers Noir Stout in a 425ml Schooner glass for the price of the old schmiddy ($6.80) There was pints available.
Not a terrible selection, but definitely not like what it was or could have been.

No one's mentioned this for a while... last time I was in the taps were still mainstream-ish, but the fridge was where the action was at:

Feral, Sierra Nevada, various other good options I can't recall right now.

Wait, this place is still going? I went there once and it was all shut up, and it looked like it only opened for functions?

I work about 200m away, and it's still open. They seem to focus on coffees these days, but do have some craft beers on. Nothing really outstanding though.

Cheers

How much is a bottle of Feral Hop Hog there I wonder? It's $8 at 5th Element, and $13 at Archive.... curious.

Other than special events, the only time I ever went to the Platform was on random Saturday afternoons with my wife, or a weekday afternoon if I had the day off, or if I happened to use the train on my commute home from work. Even when they advertised they were open Saturdays, half the time they weren't due to either private functions or just plain closed. Nowadays, if I have a day off during the week, I usually do the crawl from the Brewhouse to the 5th Element to the Archive. Now with Bitter Suite added to the mix, I may try starting there and may get off the 199 and see what's up at the Platform before heading to Archive. Wish I had a day off coming up

Last time I walked past (couldn't drink, I was on my way back to work after a curry with RdeVjun) it was proudly calling itself "The Platform Cafe".
Sad
And it used to be so busy in the evenings there, especially on WSC's night it was like a Pommy Pub after a United match just chucked out B)

I just booked it for my 30th in a few weeks. As far as all their info and everything it is still known as the Platform Bar.

The functions chick advised if there is anything in one bar or the other they can make sure its in the fridge or on tap for my 30th if I wanted so pretty happy with that. Plus no min spend! Which is very good considering i get the whole bar to myself on a Sat night.

I wanted to do the Archive but they only had that room to the side which they reckon they can get 60 people (that might be a tough ask) and wanted $3k min spend and I only had it for 7-10pm which was a shame.

I'll let you know how it all pans out then!

It's a shame they can't just put their craft beer on tap in their main bar. The main area is a much better pub IMO.

Last time I walked past (couldn't drink, I was on my way back to work after a curry with RdeVjun) it was proudly calling itself "The Platform Cafe".
Sad
And it used to be so busy in the evenings there, especially on WSC's night it was like a Pommy Pub after a United match just chucked out B)
those were the days hey Bribie!

Sad

That was the shindig last december wasn't it. I missed it unfortunately. That sort of ended up being the old Platform's draught swan song party.

Had a Roger's in here last week. The word is Big Dipper will be on when the Roger's finishes.

Sorry, when I say 'the word' I mean the barman told me. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back