Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't brewed one either, but thats how I would do it, as I am not a fan of caramel malts in German beers. What does it taste like - malty-wheat with a slight schwarzbier like roasty/choc edge?
Pretty much. I was aiming for the low end so it's only 4.5%, very sessionable. Some maltiness from the munich and just a tiny hint of roast. Delicious!

Following suit with pink beer... 11 month old kriek. Sour, a little creamy autolysis, distinct morello cherry.

2012_11_25_20.27.27.png

Looks like milky starch haze to me or a lot of yeast there Don. What was your wort clarity like into the kettle?

I also crash chill all of my beers, i never take Weizens or any beer for that matter direct from fermenter to the keg without at least a 1-2 day rest @ 2-4deg. I want to avoid any excessive yeast (moreso hop particulate/trub) making its way into the keg. Maybe this was your pitfall? Excessive yeast?

this was the problem, i kegged the beer after a week without crash chilling

after a crash course via pm from tony, i have been advised that crash chilling is not to be skipped, weizen or not :p

the thing has settled now and looks much better and tastes just as a weizen should

will post another photo of the now settled weizen in a few days

Second up on the new keg system, a Mrzen. A little under carbed, but I've got till Friday to give it another rock'n'roll. Goes down well, but finishes a little sweeter than the ones I can remember from Germany.

IMG_0919__Edited_.jpg

:icon_cheers:

this was the problem, i kegged the beer after a week without crash chilling

after a crash course via pm from tony, i have been advised that crash chilling is not to be skipped, weizen or not :p

the thing has settled now and looks much better and tastes just as a weizen should

will post another photo of the now settled weizen in a few days

she's settled nicely now, cloudy not milky

IMG_2981b.JPG

No photo, but I just mixed a glass of beer using a lacklustre brown porter (that I had had sitting around for months because I just don't find any reason to drink it - it has had 40g untoasted US oak in keg for a month or more now in an effort to improve drinability) with a kriek style beer I just kegged that is way sour. I seriously nearly giggled with glee how good it is. The brightness of the acid and clean morello cherry flavour really lift the light roast and woody untoasted oak. I think I will make a blended keg out of the porter and top up the kriek with something else suitable.

APA

I made my LCBA clone..... but while i was crushing the grain i decided i wanted something with more hops to use up stocks before my new season delivery arrived from the US :)

So i added 3.5% Carabohemian for color and malt, and doubled the hops with Amarillo and Columbus on top of the NZ Cascade and Bsaaz.
Dry hopped with a hand-full of Columbus.

Unfiltered....... just chilled in primary for a few days and dumped in a keg. Carbed over 48 hrs and its AWSOME!

very like....... LCPA, only a bit better, with more hops.

APA1211291152x1728.jpg

APA

I made my LCBA clone..... but while i was crushing the grain i decided i wanted something with more hops to use up stocks before my new season delivery arrived from the US :)

So i added 3.5% Carabohemian for color and malt, and doubled the hops with Amarillo and Columbus on top of the NZ Cascade and Bsaaz.

Unfiltered....... just chilled in primary for a few days and dumped in a keg. Carbed over 48 hrs and its AWSOME!

APA1211291152x1728.jpg

:icon_drool2:

Nice, Tony.

I've been brewing most of my APAs with a good 20% Vienna lately and it makes them really shine. I have some columbus on the way so can see what it's all about.

Cheers.

APA

APA1211291152x1728.jpg

God you beers look like crap, so disappointing ;)

I have some columbus on the way so can see what it's all about.

Its a full on hop with an in your face character, and best mixes with the finer US hops.

I made my Black RyePA with Amarillo and Columbus side by side..... and it was great.

you should stop posting pics tony!! as I know for a fact they always taste twice as good as the look so its a insult to the rest of us haha

I'm pretty sure this was my last bottle of my July swap beer. Bire de Noel, Bottled 8/2/12 OG 1.074 FG 1.007
bdn.JPG
Really happy how this has turned out, balance of spicing/malt and tartness is tops and now is finally a 9.5%ABV quaffer. Pity I consumed the rest months ago :(
If anyone has not been keen to drink this - do yourself a favour (or return it to me for a more sensible bottle)

I remember an older, more simple time. A time where Tony derided the Yank's penchant for dank hops.

Yes i remember those days too...... i just couldn't like them.

But my tastes in beer are ever evolving and I'm enjoying burping up some C hops now and then :)

.......... like now :)

My house APA. Centennial, Amarillo
Fresh, (pitched 3 weeks ago) hoppy, clean and crisp. Firm bitterness with just enough malt to hold it together.
Stinking hot, it does not get much more refreshing than this.
Pic_1130_013.jpg

Back