Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dark mild, Midnight Brewer's recipe, with Burton yeast. Still coming into its own, but it's on its way.
IMG_7020.jpg

When WL says honey and apple esters they mean it! I'd roughly characterise the Burton as lighter, fruitier esters, and the 1469 as darker fruits and a bit woody.

In general I think I prefer the 1469 for darker styles and the Burton for lighter. (However there's a guy in the Brewing Network forum who swears by 1469 for APA's, so I'm going to give that a go.) I have an all-EKG IPA that I did on the Burton that is up in my top three beers to date, and it hasn't even finished conditioning. I have to say that the right yeast for the right malt bill has never been clearer for me.

Grumpy, that's all up to MB's hard work and trials with this recipe. Man loves his milds!

droid said:
Thanks Rocker, I have a Nikon D40 and use the p function, it doesn't use the flash and instead uses available light and alters aperture and shutter speed to suit. I think the lense makes a difference but geez some phones these days are amazing! I had a quick pix type camera before and would always use the 'available light' function

things I try to do:
Walk around with a glass and try a few spots, doesn't have to have beer in it to see that it would be a good spot
Get something decent in the background
Use a portrait function or something to blur the backgrouind since you want the beer front and center ~ most of the time
Take a pic side on to the light, so the light should be shining either through the beer from the left or right side if poss
When the sun is low in the sky is best for alot of photos so that's important for beer too, sometimes I use a torch if it's dark or dull

If I was to remember one thing it would be to find a good source of light from the side
Thanks mate, I'll have to try some of that stuff. I had noticed when I used what I figure was the portrait setting on my camera that the pictures turned out better. Will have to try the light side on too. Got three full kegs in the kegerator now so will probably post some pictures on the weekend when I can get some daytime pics of the beers. Cheers

hey no worries, it might seem like a bit to think about but once you've worked out a good spot at the right time of the day and got the camera function sorted, it's a no-brainer from then on!

droid said:
Thanks Rocker, I have a Nikon D40 and use the p function, it doesn't use the flash and instead uses available light and alters aperture and shutter speed to suit.
Real men shoot in M (manual) ;)

Ciderman said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1462163039.044205.jpg

Sunrise with Mel and Kolschie with #2565 yeast. Probably not my best beer, perhaps could have fermented a little lower than 18 degrees. Yeast wouldn't drop out of suspension and couldn't be bothered filtering.
Give it a couple of months to settle out and see how much you enjoy it. The yeast really interferes with the flavour.

Cascade, galaxy & summit IPA - is good drinking now that the 150gm keg hop has settled down! Goes down a bit too easy.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1474273834.853453.jpg

Berliner Weisse. Fast soured with the left overs of our home made natural yoghurt. Nice tartness and really refreshing. Loving brewing my own sours. Feels really good.
image.jpg

pvan340 said:
Berliner Weisse. Fast soured with the left overs of our home made natural yoghurt. Nice tartness and really refreshing. Loving brewing my own sours. Feels really good.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Great idea. I did a Berliner Weiss last summer and it was a hit. Soured by adding handful of grain after cooling mash to 40c then leaving 48 hrs.

pvan340 said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
what made it amber?

yurgy said:
what made it amber?
Extra boil time? Because of the Pils malt and wanting to really neutralise any lacto or other bugs (and because I was a few points down on my O.G) it got a solid 60 mins.

Once you're over about 70c you will have killed off your bugs. Traditional recipes go to slightly below boiling. If you want to be safe a 15min boil is plenty.

My understanding (may be wrong) is that long boil with pilsner malt is to prevent DMS in lagers.

I did a 30min boil OG 1030. Finished beer a light straw colour with cloudy texture.

pvan340 said:
Extra boil time? Because of the Pils malt and wanting to really neutralise any lacto or other bugs (and because I was a few points down on my O.G) it got a solid 60 mins.
look's good i just thought there was more than just pils and wheat

Back