Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found my last bottle of beire de garde brune + Orval dregs + lambic dregs. In the bottle ( champagne ) since November.

The big cherry aroma has slightly faded, with more Orval type aromas present. Similar flavour wise with a nice woody and also perfumey character. Highly carbonated. Need to learn to leave funky beers longer in the bottle. Loved this at a few months but it just seems more "melded" in flavour now. Luckily I've built up a good stash of champagne bottles :).

And of course, the dregs of this will go into my brett c porter

image.jpg

jyo ESB

8HD_3101.JPG

Brewed for the case swap handpump, it is now regretfully left behind, so now I am the sole operator of said pump. I've been leaving it at 10 degrees with 14 psi of top pressure on it while the pump is not in use, to keep the condition in the keg. I suspect this may be a little more than is traditional, but what the hell, works for me. I've set up some valves so I can switch between pressure for downtime, and aspirator, for pumping time. This works pretty well so long as I remember to switch back to gas after I've been drinking it (score on that not so good so far).

The ESB pumps bright, full of malt and toffee aromas. Bitter enough to appreciate, it is a great handpump beer. No sparkler!

No sparkler! You heathen. Nice photo, man.

I have some bottle conditioned versions of this I have my eye on for next weekend. I'm sure they'll be just as bright as this...

California Common, I think I've posted this before but its so damn tasty its worth a second mention.

For a spur of the moment experiment I couldn't be happier with the final result.

1406790841392.jpg

Galactic IPA

Double mashed on the 20Lt BM 2 x 3.5kg

OG - 1.068
IBU - 65

45% Ale
45% MO
10% Munich

No Crystal Malt

Columbus FWH 60mins - 35ibu
Galaxy @ 10mins - 30ibu

Fermented with Dennys 1450 @ 19c

Dry Hopped 6days - Galaxy 35g

WP_20140731_001.jpg

This is my first beer to be kegged. Its an Amber Ale hopped with Willamette, and dry hopped with Amarillo.

I do not think I have the carbonation correct as of yet, still playing with the new keezer setup... Taste bloody good though, the low carbonation made it go down very easily...

amber.jpg

i-a-n said:
Old English Porter, like the one on its way to WA just now.
Looks good !

BTW, what's that yellow stuff in the background ?

tI9y1JXl.jpg

Mixed cube from work (cb/bacchus) - red bellied black, pale, summer... Came out at about 8.7%

Australian Workhorse Bitter

1-001.jpg

I got this ready for the case swap a couple weeks back, but I haven't really had a glass yet myself. It was supposed to be to style, 'Australian Bitter Ale', with POR and Cluster to finish.

My first try of the MJ Workhorse ale yeast, the beer is super clean, almost to the point of being boring. Probably a little over bittered for the attenuation. I've never believed in fake lagers but this is the closest thing to it - it is missing the lager stink that even a good one will have. Not much cluster in there, guess those flowers are too old now.

Definitely an easy way to make good pale swilling beer. An excellent yeast, especially considering my minimal preparation on the day (dump packet into wort :unsure: ).

Geez dent what's the aperture on that, about f1.0?
I'm interested in the recipe too, been curious about the bitter ale concept.

Team Nikon only goes to 1.4 I'm afraid. (in AF at least)

It pretty much follows the AABC style guide. Use Pils malt, enough crystal for the colour (3% ish), and good ol white sugar for light body (20% fermentables).
Super Pride is a great hop for the style - so long as you're using a chiller, the bittering hops alone will work subtly all through the flavour and aroma.

Back