Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently drinking my latest American IPA with Amarillo, Centennial, Citra and Magnum. Only a bit over a week old (bottle) but brilliant citrus/fruity flavour. Would be happy to buy this at a bar so that makes me a happy man. Great way to end the night, after catching up with the dad and uncle at Bacchus opening.

Aaaaaaah....beer !

A month without has come to an end (let's never fight again).

EIPA.
Marris Otter, Munich and light crystal with a smidge of wheat malt.
Pilot, Northern Brewer and Willamette.
50 IBUs

Earthy, fruity, spicy. Solid bitterness.
Not as much toffee malt flavour as I'd like, and so it's slightly skewed to the bitter side, but still balanced (for me, at least).

Mr Goomba (if you're out there) is getting 740ml of this, as per the lotto debt, so I look forward to the honest review and feedback.

20140816_125419.jpg

Leichtes Weissbier tonight.

3.5%, plenty of body due to 70°C mash. JW wheat, Weyermann Premium Pils, Baird light crystal. Hall Mitt hops (~14 IBU)
W3638.
Great head, easy drinking, grainy character.
Leichtes Weisses.jpg

Red rye mild, same recipe as I threw in the SEQld July case case swap. The only change made was that this cube got 1469 instead of 1084.

The difference is very apparent, the ferment was all over at 1.020 from around 1.040 which is pretty much spot on what I was aiming for with the mash schedule. It doesn't have the residual sweetness that the 1084 brings to the table though, the minerally thing that 1469 does has almost dried the beer out which seems to let the individual malts come through quite well.

Pretty chuffed with this beer, going down a treat at only 2.6%

1408606589664.jpg

Dunkel weizen - 50% Wheat, 23% Vienna, 23% Munich & 4% Chocolate Malt with Mangroves Bavarian Yeast

Golden Circle IPA
A bit hazy but should clear in time. Super fruity and is just moreish. Pity its 6.7%...
Sorry about the crap photo

1408623692849.jpg

I bloody love pictures of beer :icon_drool2:

Keep up the brewing guys! :icon_cheers:

Pratty1 said:
Dunkel weizen - 50% Wheat, 23% Vienna, 23% Munich & 4% Chocolate Malt with Mangroves Bavarian Yeast

What OG and FG mate, been contemplating a dunkel weizen for a while now.

Does the MJ yeast favour clove or banana?

Donske said:
What OG and FG mate, been contemplating a dunkel weizen for a while now.

Does the MJ yeast favour clove or banana?
Hi Donske,

I will check my BS2.0 records tonight and post it for you.

I direct pitched the yeast at 17c into 21lts and got more clove than banana. I think if the ferm temp was higher, say 21 it would have thrown off alot more banana but I havent fermented any beer above 19c for quite some time now.

Pratty1 said:
Hi Donske,

I will check my BS2.0 records tonight and post it for you.

I direct pitched the yeast at 17c into 21lts and got more clove than banana. I think if the ferm temp was higher, say 21 it would have thrown off alot more banana but I havent fermented any beer above 19c for quite some time now.

Good to know, I prefer my weizens on the phenolic side so they all get run on the lowish side of yeast range.

mofox1 said:
Maybe. :)

What did you use for the colour, and how much?
Full recipe was on the next page after that post.....

Here is the grain bill

Grain Bill
----------------
6.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (90.09%)
0.500 kg Caraaroma (7.51%)
0.110 kg Melanoidin (1.65%)
0.050 kg Roasted Barley (0.75%)

Back