Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrumpyPaul said:
Full recipe was on the next page after that post.....

Here is the grain bill

Grain Bill
----------------
6.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (90.09%)
0.500 kg Caraaroma (7.51%)
0.110 kg Melanoidin (1.65%)
0.050 kg Roasted Barley (0.75%)
Ha, so it was. Thought I was looking at a recent post :)

Looks good, I'm prepping for a red hefeweizen and was thinking around 1% midnight wheat, so I think that'll work. Cheers!

Here ya go yob. Unfortunately uncle dans does not have a good stout range. Looking forward to getting growler of Brisbane brewery stout tomorrow afternoon for the rugby. Will give my stout glasses a flogging.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1408703055.027676.jpg

And just realised this isn't the commercial thread. Apologies.

mofox1 said:
Ha, so it was. Thought I was looking at a recent post :)

Looks good, I'm prepping for a red hefeweizen and was thinking around 1% midnight wheat, so I think that'll work. Cheers!
If your looking for a RED hefe, maybe replace the 50% Pale Malt with Red X malt.....

Donske said:
What OG and FG mate, been contemplating a dunkel weizen for a while now.

Does the MJ yeast favour clove or banana?
Hey Donske,

Checked my BS2.0 data

OG - 1.046
FG - 1.014

Mash Profile

Mash In 20.0 C
Ferulic Acid Rest 43.0 C - 20 min
Protein Rest 55.0 C - 30 min
Amylase Rest 67.0 C - 60 min
Mash Out 78.0 C - 15 min

Correction on the Malt bill too, it had some carawheat...

Wheat Malt 50%
Munich 21%
Vienna 21%
Carawheat 5%
Chocolate 3%

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1408847347.418271.jpg

Stone & Wood Pacific Ale

60% Golden Promise
40% Wheat

Mashed at 67c for 60mins

30min boil

Galaxy @ 10mins to 12ibu
Galaxy whirlpooled for 10mins to 12ibu

fermented with US05 @ 18c

Dry hopped with 35g Galaxy for 5days.

It's close.....great aroma and mouthfeel from the wheat, it's a tasty beer.

I done a side by side and the Ibu was too high, should be about 16-17ibu and mashed lower at 65 to give that refreshing finish. Also I would not make the 10min addition and just whirlpool to get the Ibu's.

Hey Pratty,

What's the deal with a 30min boil? Is that something that you normally do? Is there any disadvantage?

Just a mid strength ale that I'm trying to streamline on a night time brew.

AFAIK, so long as the boil is vigorous enough to get rid of the volatile DMS compounds etc, a shorter length is fine.

There was a bloke on the Cert 3 Ballarat course commenting on here a while back about short boil lengths...maybe it was in Grumpy's infamous 10min IPA thread ?

Needed an IPA to go in some glasses I got
20140825_172801.jpg
Dipa, still really fresh, could probably do with a week to calm down a little

100% dingemans pils and all saaz saison fermented with 3726 farmhouse ale yeast. This yeast is much quicker than the Belgian saison yeast but still lots of character and low phenols. Fruity, dry and bitter, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm going to leave the rest of the batch for a few weeks, as I find ( as with most Belgians ) they get better with age.

I intentionally upped the bitterness, mashed at 62c for 90 mins and added a lot of calcium sulphate to dry it out. It only finished at 1.007 which I thought was high for a saison, but it has a very nice dry finish. Pretty happy with it IMHO.

image.jpg

A 14 year old K&K Scottish Style Ale I found in the carhole.

Undrinkable, but it sure looks good.

IMAG0294.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

An absolute cracker of a beer, an RIS brewed by waggastew.
The cap is rusted but the label shows a date in 2011, which is either the brew date or the bottling date.

The carbonation is moderate initially on pouring but tends to die down quickly.
Colour is impenetrable, except at the meniscus where it shows a dark coffee colour.
I don't pick up much aroma, but my nose is not the best.
The palate has excellent mouthfeel and body.
Flavours initially are of raisins and soft fruit, but quickly change to the darker malt influenced coffee and chocolate and roast bitterness.
Overall, the palate is now very smooth after 3+ years in bottle, with persistent flavours on the after palate.
Obviously there is good level of alcohol, but it is not intrusive, and the beer has no hot or solvent qualities at all.

Mrs warra is away visiting her dear old dad (lucky me, I'm not there), so this beer is going down a treat along with some roast lamb and brussels sprouts.

Thanks to waggastew for this excellent beer.

Back