Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
indica86 said:
Recipe for your purple IPA please.
Grumpy's CTZ Red IPA
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 6.660
Total Hops (g): 160.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (°P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.019 (°P): 4.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.26 %
Colour (SRM): 17.5 (EBC): 34.5
Bitterness (IBU): 127.6 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
6.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (90.09%)
0.500 kg Caraaroma (7.51%)
0.110 kg Melanoidin (1.65%)
0.050 kg Roasted Barley (0.75%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Apollo Pellet (18.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
15.0 g Apollo Pellet (18.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g CTZ Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g Apollo Pellet (18.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g CTZ Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g Apollo Pellet (18.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
15.0 g CTZ Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
50.0 g CTZ Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Unfortunately the head didn't keep in this bottle but this our 4 month old Australian Imperial Stout (AIS - as we call it). One of our earlier brews but she's turning out really nice. Nice way to end a brew evening and cool night.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404304123.445354.jpg

Chocolate Coffee Porter. Pretty stoked with how this came out. Chocolate Rye plus cacao nibs soaked in Uigeadail scotch whiskey, the coffee was picked by a friend from the Redcliffe botanical gardens and I peeled, fermented dried and roasted the beans myself (would never do that again). cold dripped the coffee and added about 750ml.

DSC05907 by brett in japan (back in Australia), on Flickr

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404636001.595012.jpg

1.5 years later, second last bottle of my first brew. A pacific ale. Obviously not so hoppy as it was but now it's something megaswill drinkers would like, but still a touch of passionfruit and citrus.

First, I've not found a liquid yeast for APA/AIPAs that I like as much as US05 and BRY97.

But after about two years of using nothing but dried yeasts to try this, that, and the other – and I'm talking about my taste buds now, this is a subjective opinion not an objective comment – I would like to say a hearty **** YOU to all the supposed "English" dry yeasts, and a tearful HUZZAH for wy1968 (pictured) and wy1469.

Now that the hysteria is over I feel much the same way Belle sasion to be honest. MJ yeasts, for example, serve a purpose and they make good beer…but by the Fiery Beard of the Sky Demon, if you want a particular flavour then use the real deal.

Dry yeast will always have a place in my brewery, but there are some styles that need the real deal.

Screen Shot 2014-07-08 at 5.10.38 PM.png

100% cube hopped Chinook pale ale, pale malt and 3% medium crystal, didn't even worry about dry hopping.

Really enjoying this beer, need to get the second cube into a fermenter soon, can't be much left of it.

1405136996177.jpg

Looks good donske, how is the hop profile with only cube hops? Mind sharing recipe specs (og, fg & ibus). Also, what time did you assume for hops ?

Cheers

A3k said:
Looks good donske, how is the hop profile with only cube hops? Mind sharing recipe specs (og, fg & ibus). Also, what time did you assume for hops ?

Cheers
Turns out there is 10 IBUs of Topaz at 60 and the grist is Vienna and Caramunich III, should have checked before posting.

The aroma without dry hop is fantastic, that nice piney/resin aroma expected of Chinook, there is also a good hit of citrus/grapefruit in the aroma too, not as full on as Centennial though. Pretty much no malt in the aroma at all.

Flavour is much the same, except the citrus/grapefruit flavour is the first thing I get, the pine/resin combines well with the slight sweetness of the Caramunich III and lingers. Bitterness is pretty well balanced, I'd maybe up it a few IBUs next time around, maybe not, it's quite smashable as is and would be a great summer time beer.

I just use the no chill button in Brewmate and put them at 0, I've pretty much got it dialled in for my tastes.

Recipe below;

Pale Ale 15 (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.03 %
Colour (SRM): 7.4 (EBC): 14.6
Bitterness (IBU): 39.5 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)

96% Vienna
4% Caramunich III

0.2 g/L Topaz (17.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.9 g/L Chinook (12.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

0.4 g/L Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
0.0 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Notes: 0 minute addition split and added to the 2 cubes.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Rosella Wheat. Top stuff, light and refreshing, what a great drop.

DzBSoia.jpg

And next... 8% and 73 IBU

Stink Eye IPA.

A few days older now, and disturbingly drinkable.
Definite caramel taste coming through... 250g carapils and 400g JW Crystal. Wow, I wonder why I used that much? Seems to work though.

bK2NL9M.jpg

indica86 said:
Rosella Wheat. Top stuff, light and refreshing, what a great drop.
What recipe are you using for that wheat, looks awesome.

Recipe: Rosella Wheat

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated IBU: 18.9 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 66.7 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 22.2 %
0.50 kg Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC) Grain 3 11.1 %
10.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 1
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet
10.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
10.00 g Sorachi Ace [14.00 %] - Dry Hop

----------------------------

I used 500g of Rosellas boiled down to about 2 litres and threw that in. I realised it wasn't enough and threw in about 500mL of home made Rosella cordial also.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405228233.739842.jpg

My first attempt at a Belgian Pale Ale.
Pilsner base malt with some Munich, crystal and melanoidin.
Styrians goldings hops and wyeast Belgian Ardennes yeast is a nice combo. Just over 5% alc.

Dubbel Dutch.
Belgian dubbel with ardennes yeast then secondary with 20g/L of dutch salted licorice. This combination works exceptionally well to my tastes.

IMAG1027_1.jpg

Points for originality Horses! Can't stand the salted licorice myself though :-/

No nor can I. But it was that intense licorice that I figured would be necessary.
I ate a piece of the licorice after I'd finished bottling at it had no flavour left. It was like slightly beer flavoured soft rubber.

This was a Bavarian style hefe weissbier. The problems I used to have with head retention seem to have gone. :)

IMAG0311.jpg

Nick R said:
Points for originality Horses! Can't stand the salted licorice myself though :-/
I can understand your feelings about salted licorice. You have to be born into it, like I am.
For the same reason, I can't stand Vegemite. I wasn't born into it.

indica86 said:
Recipe: Rosella Wheat

I used 500g of Rosellas boiled down to about 2 litres and threw that in. I realised it wasn't enough and threw in about 500mL of home made Rosella cordial also.
Platycercus_eximius_diemenensis_male.jpg
500g of Rosellas?

Back