Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hardly brew lagers, but im currently drinking a munich lager right now ( bit too dark for a helles, too light for dunkel ). I step mashed, pitched cold, and lagered in a secondary for 2 weeks. Bugger me its the best one i've ever done. Pretty chuffed at the moment. I have a schwarz sitting in a cube, and a fresh smack pack of 2007, for some clean lagers. Lookng forward to it.

Recipe for those interested

89.5% Best Munich
2.9% Acid malt
7.6% Biscuit

55-10, 62c-20, 70c-45

Hallertau @ 60

19 IBU

2308 Munich lager

Pitched 4 litre starter ( slurry only ) at 6c, fermented around 10-12 for 3 weeks. Secondary at 1c 2 weeks.

Deep gold, almost amber colour, and malty but dry enough to keep drinking ( which might happen! ). Im tipping the wife will like this. Damn!!

Im not drinking much at present so i'll let it sit in the keg a few more weeks.

a6ee2e0b-2509-424e-a56a-f8b41fb81b65_zps881eda21.jpg

You have no idea how long it took me to do that! haha. Its clearer than the pic shows.

First beer i'm proud of, and first partial mash! ...out of the previous 6 only one was ok, with the rest being terrible, pretty stoked right now :beerbang:. Unfortunately had some siphoning issues so i lost a few extra litres of beer when bottling.

It's an IPA with a little citra FW hopped and everything else @ 15 mins and under (more citra, mouteka and leftover cascade and amarillo), and some dry hops too! It's like a JS golden ale on steroids.

IMAG04471.jpg

awall said:
First beer i'm proud of, and first partial mash! ...out of the previous 6 only one was ok, with the rest being terrible, pretty stoked right now :beerbang:. Unfortunately had some siphoning issues so i lost a few extra litres of beer when bottling.

It's an IPA with a little citra FW hopped and everything else @ 15 mins and under (more citra, mouteka and leftover cascade and amarillo), and some dry hops too! It's like a JS golden ale on steroids.
Well done, drink it fresh don't save it for a rainy day, APA/IPA are best drunk in the first couple of months IMO.

beerdrinkingbob said:
Well done, drink it fresh don't save it for a rainy day, APA/IPA are best drunk in the first couple of months IMO.
And that's where not everyone's experience is the same.

Mine are definitely better after 2 or 3 months in the bottle.

I keg, and find A/IPAs always the best in the first month... After that experience some loss of aroma.

Another of waggastew's brews.
It's from another batch of the West-Coast AIPA which won best AIPA at AAHC last year.

In waggastew's own words:
A big juicy malt background finishes dry to show off the tropical, pine, and citrus flavours and aromas.

Can't disagree with that.

The beer is actually clear in the glass, although the image suggests otherwise.

IMG_2057.jpg

Stupid things to do with beer - No. 321
spider1.JPG
RIS spider

Great, until the wife got hold of it and wouldn't give it back :rolleyes:

Well, drinking second glass of my first all-grain: an red Irish ale, courtesy of grain packs from Lord Raja Goomba III. It still needs a bit more time on the CO2 to carbonate properly.

Some simple taste notes.
The colour in the glass is quite dark. A direct light reveals the red in the ale. And my iPhone 3Gs does very little to pick up the red colours. Perhaps I should have busted out my dSLR..

The taste is quite dark as well, a slight umm kind of grainy chocolatey smell, and has a nice burnt chocolate after-taste. It reminds me very slightly of Tooheys Old, but it tastes much more like a dark ale that I can't put my finger on. I dig it. Not bad for a first AG, I reckon. I look forward to the next 18.5 litres. :chug: And no, you can't have any!! B)

17-glassShot.png

I love looking through this thread, so thought I should contribute. My experience in brewing is limited by time, but I'm putting in the hard yards to get upto speed.

This is my first crack at a pilsner malt recipe. It's only a week in the bottle, so the first half stubbie was krystal clear until the yeasties ruined the party.
Since I procured a commercial ferment/lager fridge, this has been the second lager yeast ferment and I'm really happy with the result thus far.
Thanks to all who posted real life experience comments. They really helped.
2013-03-26 18.39.25.jpg

While I'm waiting for the rest of my beer to mature I like to grab a few odds and sods from the local bottle shop. This was my find tonight.
$14 for the Le Chouffe, and $18 for a four pack of the Silly Saison. Shits and giggles right?

The Silly Saison was a bit of an eye opener. I had no idea of what to expect, which is a good thing. It tasted sweet without being sickly sweet and had a lot of flavours I'll be trying to track down.
The Le Chuoffe is a cracker. 8% is a liittle dangerous with something that is this drinkable after a massive ten hour day on the tools.
Good thing the metabolism is cranking. I'm hungry.

2013-03-26 18.20.18.jpg

Sharing is caring, as they teach the kidun's in school nowadays.

Latest posts

Back