Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fletcher said:
it's starting to shape up now and it's getting better, but no banana. I used the mangrove jack's Belgian ale yeast and I reckon it's more like a saison yeast as there isn't any noticeable banana. it is aromatic and there is a bit of spice there too which is quite nice.
If you decide to make this style again....go for Wyeast Forbidden Fruit and ferment at 20c. :icon_drool2:

That yeast makes that style of beer come alive with the oranage zest and corainder as the yeast/malt and aromas combine so well.

Julebryg

pnnvKNe.jpg

A dark festive lager, Saaz hopped with a late addition of Star Anise.
Lovely and malty mouthfeel and taste, ever so slight hint of anise in the background.
Yum.

indica86 said:
Julebryg

pnnvKNe.jpg

A dark festive lager, Saaz hopped with a late addition of Star Anise.
Lovely and malty mouthfeel and taste, ever so slight hint of anise in the background.
Yum.
WHOA!!! YOU HAVE A BEER TREE!!!!!

Dived into the boutique beer territory in August and did my first big beer, an English barley wine.
Recommended to leave these beers a minimum of 6 months, but read that adding honey can cause slow and long fermentation so decided to try one tonight. That'll do.
Holy smokes. Amazing. Potent alcohol notes (9.6%) without being overpowering and a strong sherry-like flavour. Notes of plum, raisins and hints of the English hops. I've never had anything like it. My taste buds are alive. iPhone pic is shit but it has a deep golden colour and the head lasted the remainder of the glass.
If these get better with age, I can't wait for next year. Glorious.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414143832.942827.jpg

Simple Saaz Blonde (recipe credit to jyo).

Only been in the bottle for a week, and has some chill haze. Very nice post-brew on a warm Queanbeyan sunday afternoon.

IMAG0339.jpg

Looks good, KK. Dont worry, mate, the haze is a jyo thing :)

Weissbier. Hersbrucker and MJ's Bavarian Wheat. Good balance of subtle banana and clove. Happy days.

Cl4nXVMl.jpg

English pub ale. My phone's done a superb job of focussing on the Leptospermum rather than the beer.

IMAG0341.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

On the left: Dr Pratt's Black Salve (my homebrew) .On the right Rochefort 8.
When asked which beer was arguably the world's best strong dark belgian ale at $9.50 a stubbie the blind taster (missus) indicated the left.

I rest my case.

g

Bottled pint of Knights of Columbus IPA that was made back at the start of Aug14.

WP_20141102_023.jpg

Pratty1 said:
Bottled pint of Knights of Columbus IPA that was made back at the start of Aug14.

attachicon.gif
WP_20141102_023.jpg
That does really look amazing.

I have found a couple of possible recipes you have posted, but guessing at the hop additions.

Any chance of putting up the recipe?

Anything special to get such clarity?

Thanks

My take on warra48's Try Again Hefeweizen.

Today was going to be alcohol free but I found out at work this morning that a former colleague died last night after battling a brain tumour for some time.
He was a great bloke, and really helped my wife and I feel welcome when we were new to town (and the job). It's a terrible thing for him and his family.

Anywho, makes you appreciate what you've got. I'm raising a few glasses to him tonight.

IMAG0345.jpg

Good focus but the background leaves a bit to be desired, kids stuff I imagine.
Hope the beer is good , nice to see some good ales being brewed other than the invasive American APA-IPA I see 90% of the time
Some good malt forward stuff makes for a good session beer .
Nev

Haha, I would have gone for the beer magazine cover photo but...
3yo twin 1 was riding her bike around the table
Twin 2 was standing just left of shot wanting to sample the subject
5yo was clinging to my leg with a PS game saying "can you put this on for me dad?"
That was the best background in my yard without doing a cleanup of kid stuff (didn't clean because of aforementioned).
All I could think about was drinking the damn beer. Which was very nice, yes.

What's in the glass, you say ?

Well, it's my latest Hefeweizen...thanks for asking !

Lots of banana (22°C ferment) and a bit of dark crystal. It's probably half way to an average Dunkelweizen in colour/flavour.
This is a very good hammock beer !

20141109_141204.jpg

Latest posts

Back