Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
APA with Centennial and Cascade. Double batch, 1 cube was an Aussie Ale, the other I tried 'cube malting' with 250 gms medium crystal and some centennial as per dent's thread here- http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/75031-cube-malting/

Pretty happy with the results.

L9LYuAil.jpg

That APA looks tasty jyo. :icon_drool2:
My first "WITG" contribution in a long time & showing off my White Whale Wit powered with 3944 Belgian W (obviously :p ) with Hallertauer @ 60 & the usual orange zest & coriander @ 5.
5.4 ABV.

One can never brew enough variations of a Witbier IMHO. :super:

242 White Wale Wit.JPG

Cheers, Pete.

Nice looking wit. I'm mashing a Belgian Wit right now with Hersbrucker and 3944. Just cracked the coriander and peeled the oranges, about to sparge.

jyo said:
APA with Centennial and Cascade. Double batch, 1 cube was an Aussie Ale, the other I tried 'cube malting' with 250 gms medium crystal and some centennial as per dent's thread here- http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/75031-cube-malting/

L9LYuAil.jpg
Wow... cube malting (or steeping).

That's how many things on my to do list now?

jyo said:

L9LYuAil.jpg
Looks so inviting on a 36C day !
I have to drink a Dark Lager :p

Cube malting is great.

I cube double batches, but I don't want two kegs of the same brew usually.

There's no end of combinations possible with a bit of imagination and a different yeast/cube hop combo. I like these variations...

IPA/Black IPA
English Pale/ESB
ESB/Porter or Stout

One of those de guarde thingys.. You know, those things with teeny amounts of hops.. Must be almost 2 years old.. Brewed by manticle at a case swap I believe

Delightful

DSC_0199.JPG

Pale 2.8kg
Vienna 1kg
Rye 1 kg
Crystal 40 .250g

All imported malts. Mashed 90 min.

Magnum 15g
Galaxy 5g
Galaxy 5g
Galaxy 5g

Brewed as a bit of a crowd pleaser for the young blokes fourth in December, really hits the mark. Wish I'd started using rye ages ago. I love what it brings to the party.
Definitely be using this as a default recipe and have a bit of fun playing with the ingredients.

While I'm at it, after very mixed results, I used the method described in the video below by my old mate Don Osbourne to gelatin. The results speak for themselves.
I could have cheated and let the beer warm up and wipe the glass clean, but there she is, pored fresh.
Not bad for a brew basically only four days out of the fermenter with only a couple crash chilling I reckon.

DSC_2274_zpsc8ef3e86.jpg

http://youtu.be/cYaVaCyT2yY

^ ^ great lookin beer Dave. I recently used rye for the first time and was really happy with the results, was only 6% of the grist though.

What were the addition times for the hops and ibu?

Pratty1 said:
^ ^ great lookin beer Dave. I recently used rye for the first time and was really happy with the results, was only 6% of the grist though.

What were the addition times for the hops and ibu?
Magnum 15g - 60
Galaxy 5g - 20
Galaxy 5g - 15
Galaxy 5g - 0
Around 33 IBU.

Probably go another 5 at 10 next time.

I was a little anxious going 19% rye simply because I was unfamiliar with it. No worries, delicious spicy edge and great mouth feel.

Dave70 said:
Magnum 15g - 60
Galaxy 5g - 20
Galaxy 5g - 15
Galaxy 5g - 0
Around 33 IBU.

Probably go another 5 at 10 next time.

I was a little anxious going 19% rye simply because I was unfamiliar with it. No worries, delicious spicy edge and great mouth feel.
Thanks Dave. Did you get much aroma from the 0min addition?

One of those de guarde thingys.. You know, those things with teeny amounts of hops.. Must be almost 2 years old.. Brewed by manticle at a case swap I believe

Delightful

attachicon.gif
DSC_0199.JPG
Wish I still had some left. Glad it aged well.

Pratty1 said:
Thanks Dave. Did you get much aroma from the 0min addition?
Initially, but fades pretty quickly, hence the idea of a further addition. Maby Citra or Centennial would be a better choice.
Like I said, was brewed to be shared among the general populace, so I tried to keep a hand on the reins. Next time, bugger em. Theres a cracking IPA in there somewhere.

Yob said:
Ive still got a few, if you're coming to the Swap later in the month I'll save one for you :)
Aiming to get there for a bit. Got committments in the evening so can't repeat past events unfortunately.

Back