Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a stout i brewed recently. 1.064 and about 50 IBU.

made with MO..... pale choc, black malt and some roasted wheat from memory.

Its very easy to drink. No real astringancy from dark malts, medium boddied, and the bitterness is accentuated by the roast character. It goes "bing" in your mouth which is very refreshing. Iths beer is as easy to drink as a schooner of new but has lots of flavour.

Im very happy with it.

mashed it cool and firmented it with the low attenuating 1469 TTL yeast and it works great!

all this and its been in the bottle a week!

Im thinking of putting this in the NSW case swap. MAy even blow some hop myths out of the drip tray for some people!

cheers

Stout__Large_.JPG

Something a bit different today...pics of old and VERY new.

First off, my '05 Belgian Chocolate Ale.
Aged very well; holds a perfect head, velvet-like texture and excellent flavour packed full of dried fruit.
View attachment 19321

The second...well it doesn't look like much*, but it tastes a treat.
This is a combination of the last 200ml of the Lowenbrau I was drinking whilst bottling an all-Challenger IPA, combined with the dregs of the beer itself. Fantastically hoppy, besides the odd chunk. :p
View attachment 19320

*Note the inch thick layer of hops on the bottom of the glass!

Theres a meal in every glass there eh.
Me, I am drinking a Coopers Wheat kit that I upped the LDME from 500g to 1kg and added 10g Saaz for 5 mins of boil. Its a bloody ripper, and the wife likes it and wants me to make more. I would post a pic but havent quite figured out how yet.

I'll have a go. Had to have a mouthfull before I got the camera sorted eh
Bloodynicewheatandgocats.jpg

Go Cats, even after last nights thingo

here is a better pic of my german pils as i clean out the brew rig.

it was a fight to keep the frost off the glass when taking the photo. nice and cold!

cheers

german_pils__Large_.JPG

the low attenuating 1469 TTL yeast

MAy even blow some hop myths out of the drip tray for some people!

Did you get low attenuation from that yeast? I've found it's pretty attenuative, with around 80% mainly.

Its suposed to be ............ its rated at 69 to 73% attenuation isnt it?

I did actually get well attenuated beers with it around the 76% mark. Depends on the mash i guess.

i found it goes like a rocket and then slows right down at the end and putts away slowly on the last 6 to 8 points.

When i racked to secondary :ph34r: (ducks for cover) and left it there for a week, it finnished off and settled out very nicly.

cheers

When i racked to secondary

And that's where you made your fatal mistake. :icon_cheers: :lol:

I know it's rated at that by wyeast, just hasn't been my experience (and from memory what others posted when we first got that yeast in the bulk buy kirem organised).

well its a bloody tops yeast.

Ive been brewing on it, racking off once done and dumping another cube on it strait away. the 4th batch is going on it tonight.

I got 91% attenuation from US-05 once........ definatly depends on mash and firmentation conditions. I did mash a bit warmer than i usually do...... around the 66 to 67 mark.

Im loving the yeast though.

cheers

Totally agree, Tony. It's a very strong fermenter as well. It was chugging away at around 15C without any issues at all which is not what all English ale yeasts do. I've got it lined up for an ESB next and hope it'll be fine with the cooler weather. If not, I can always bring it inside. From your good reports I'm also very tempted to give it a go in a dark beer, possibly a porter. :icon_drool2:

Easter Ale, made well......Easter <_<

5.47 k Grain [Pale Malt, Maris Otter, Roasted Barley]
Northern Brewer
Tettnang
Hallertauer

Pommie yeast, 5.8%
Nice. :rolleyes:

Easter_Ale_web.jpg

Hop Challenged Porter

not as well aged as Bindi's effort but a good 5 days in the bottle and very drinkable.

Smooth creamy roast, slight sweetness thats quickly devoured by a bold bitterness. Quite refreshing actually.

This is going to develop into something special over the comming months of cool weather!

cheers

Edit: I have another bottle to try for next weekend. I will get a back lit pic of the ruby.

Hop_Challenged_Porter__Large_.JPG

Here is a better snap of the Smoked Ale that I posted a few couple of weeks ago.
Nice smokey flavour but would up the smoked malt next time.

Smoked.jpg

Nightcap! :D

Baltic Porter from Poland, 9%. Smooth, sweet, malty and slightly roasty. In a word, gorgeous!

Brok.jpg

Totally agree, Tony. It's a very strong fermenter as well. It was chugging away at around 15C without any issues at all which is not what all English ale yeasts do. I've got it lined up for an ESB next and hope it'll be fine with the cooler weather. If not, I can always bring it inside. From your good reports I'm also very tempted to give it a go in a dark beer, possibly a porter. :icon_drool2:

Hi Stuster,
Re: Wyeast VSS 1469 West Yorkshire in dark beers
If you want to try it in a darker beer, why not a Mild?
It won't disguise the yeast char. as much as a Porter.

Peter

Another good idea, Peter. If only I had enough time to brew all the beers I'd like to. :angry: :( :D

In my considered opinion - the best beer I have made to date - I'm only up to AG 30 (ish). I know I am biased but this is the biggest beer I have made and I was concerned that the higher IBU's would throw the whole thing out of balance. I was wrong - everything seemed to scale up in balance - heavy Simcoe characters initially - then malt - no alcohol heat - impressive length of spice and floral flavours. The 2nd beer that I have made that instantly made the - 'will brew another one of these' list.

The good thing is that (despite its impressive length) SWMABO doesnt like dark beers :beerbang: all the more 4 me.

Sorry about the crap photo - doesnt do the beer justice.

RM

Edit - its an APA - 65IBU's 6.4%ABV

PICT0053.jpg

You can't go talking up a beer like that without sharing the recipe.... :rolleyes:
:p
Cheers
Doug

In my considered opinion - the best beer I have made to date - I'm only up to AG 30 (ish). I know I am biased but this is the biggest beer I have made and I was concerned that the higher IBU's would throw the whole thing out of balance. I was wrong - everything seemed to scale up in balance - heavy Simcoe characters initially - then malt - no alcohol heat - impressive length of spice and floral flavours. The 2nd beer that I have made that instantly made the - 'will brew another one of these' list.

The good thing is that (despite its impressive length) SWMABO doesnt like dark beers :beerbang: all the more 4 me.

Sorry about the crap photo - doesnt do the beer justice.

RM

Edit - its an APA - 65IBU's 6.4%ABV

View attachment 19354

You can't go talking up a beer like that without sharing the recipe.... :rolleyes:
:p
Cheers
Doug

Indeed - adding it to the recipe section right now - all apologies to Rossco - whose recipe's I plagiarise with abandon.

RM

Back