Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my Caber Toss IIPA. 8.3% of bitter goodness. :icon_drool2:

85% Maris Otter 15% crystal/munich, and 240gm of hops for 150IBU (calculated) (90gm Dry hopped). Columbus, Centennial and Simcoe. Fermented with #1469.

Caber_Toss_Imperial_IPA_001.jpg Caber_Toss_Imperial_IPA_002.jpg

This had a much larger head upon pouring. By the time I remembered how to use my DSLR camera (over 5 minutes) this is the result. You can see the lacing in the jug.

:D

Victoria Bitter :D

Since my golden ale is listed as an english bitter (it's not an APA) and i used victoria hops i think it's an accurate moniker.

VictoriaBitter.jpg

Technically it's a rye golden ale and it's a very nice drop. No, it's the best beer i have made and this is the 3rd time i have brewed it.

Went out this afternoon and cut of 2 nice pieces of my victoria rhizome and planted them so i now have 3 x victoria plants. :icon_drool2:

The flavour is unlike any hop i have ever tasted. Loqat with a little peach/nectarine. Goes beautifully with rye.

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY DOCTOR!! That looks the business :)

Do you have a recipe to share? Also, where would I find Victoria hops?

Victoria Bitter :D

Since my golden ale is listed as an english bitter (it's not an APA) and i used victoria hops i think it's an accurate moniker.

VictoriaBitter.jpg

Technically it's a rye golden ale and it's a very nice drop. No, it's the best beer i have made and this is the 3rd time i have brewed it.

Went out this afternoon and cut of 2 nice pieces of my victoria rhizome and planted them so i now have 3 x victoria plants. :icon_drool2:

The flavour is unlike any hop i have ever tasted. Loqat with a little peach/nectarine. Goes beautifully with rye.

Recipe is based on the standard golden ale - Link

Rye instead of wheat. Vienna instead of munich. any medium crystal will do, i used bairds for this one. Magnum for bittering, victoria for flavour/aroma. WY1272 (American Ale 2).

So in reality it has nothing the same as the original golden ale, even the water is different as i now adjust my rainwater :lol:

What i do do is keep the % of the grist the same.

Now in the glass is my oak aged RIS. Brewed this 12 months ago, was on oak for 9 months before i tapped off 24 bottles. Still have the remaining in a keg with the american oak stave still in it. On tap at the moment. Terrible photo, gorgeous beer. ;)

EDIT - if this response makes no sense let me know and i can PM you the recipe in full.

RIS_OAK.jpg

Rye instead of wheat. Vienna instead of munich. any medium crystal will do, i used bairds for this one. Magnum for bittering, victoria for flavour/aroma. WY1272 (American Ale 2).

So in reality it has nothing the same as the original golden ale, even the water is different as i now adjust my rainwater :lol:

Now in the glass is my oak aged RIS. Brewed this 12 months ago, was on oak for 9 months before i tapped off 24 bottles. Still have the remaining in a keg with the american oak stave still in it. On tap at the moment. Terrible photo, gorgeous beer. ;)

EDIT - if this response makes no sense let me know and i can PM you the recipe in full.

RIS_OAK.jpg

Must brew a RIS i had the iStout from 8 Wired and it was awesome!

Thanks, makes sense to me :) Still I'd like to know where I could find Victoria hops... I see that you grow your own. Are they available commercially? Craftbrewer doesn't seem to stock them.

RIS_OAK.jpg

I actually found these guys last night and sent them an email. They replied this morning:

Hi,
Unfortunately we stopped growing the Victoria variety last season due to lack of demand.
I am sorry but it is not available any more
Regards

Doh!!

Can you suggest any substitutions?

I was lucky enough to sample a new brew from Moo Brew that showcases the new "Summer" hop. Very tasty! Would you suggest to try it with your Rye Golden Ale?

http://www.hops.com.au/products/australian...ummer_saaz.html

DrS - both look fantastic. The VB (he he he, had to do that) looks great, but it's the RIS that really has me intrigued. I don't have Oak Barrels, but I'm thinking a purchase of some chips from CB is in the offing.

Might do a Tripel, split it in half and oak half, using the balance of the chips not used in RIS.

Now for me:

AmberAlePic.jpg

Much the same as DrS description - garbage photo, fantastic beer. Great malt balance to the fruitiness of the hops that finishes just a bit bitter to make sure there is no residual sweetness. I know it's a bitzer beer, but seriously I'm thinking of restocking Citra, just for this (though I will no doubt use it for something else). Having said that, it'd probably work with Cascade in place of Citra.

Goomba

@ Lord Raja Goomab - I used an oak stave (american) in a keg to oak it rather than a barrel.

Cheaper plus i know my beer isn't in contact with oxygen as i carbed it up.

@ Guysmiley - haven't heard good things about summer saaz. There are Victoria rhizomes for sale on ebay - Link

I bought my cascade rhizome from him a few years back.

DrS - both look fantastic. The VB (he he he, had to do that) looks great, but it's the RIS that really has me intrigued. I don't have Oak Barrels, but I'm thinking a purchase of some chips from CB is in the offing.

Might do a Tripel, split it in half and oak half, using the balance of the chips not used in RIS.

Now for me:

AmberAlePic.jpg

Much the same as DrS description - garbage photo, fantastic beer. Great malt balance to the fruitiness of the hops that finishes just a bit bitter to make sure there is no residual sweetness. I know it's a bitzer beer, but seriously I'm thinking of restocking Citra, just for this (though I will no doubt use it for something else). Having said that, it'd probably work with Cascade in place of Citra.

Goomba
Nice foam on that one.

@ Lord Raja Goomab - I used an oak stave (american) in a keg to oak it rather than a barrel.

Cheaper plus i know my beer isn't in contact with oxygen as i carbed it up.

@ Guysmiley - haven't heard good things about summer saaz. There are Victoria rhizomes for sale on ebay - Link

I bought my cascade rhizome from him a few years back.

Gosh, not sure I'm ready to grow hops yet. Not a single green thumb in my house! I'm also rather impatient... What a bummer they have been discontinued, the way you describe them they sound delicious. Still, I've been keen to try rye for the first time and I reckon the malt bill looks very great.

Just got to work out a hop substitution...

Frankenstout...
DSC06090.JPG
Decided to go all out and load this bad boy with Choc malt, roasted barley and brown sugar (amongst other things). Lovin it as a winter warmer, I just hope the roasted barley settles down a bit in the coming weeks.

My first posts in this thread. Be gentle.

First is my Belgian Blonde/ stron golden ale. Its about 6.5%, but you wouldnt pick it. Was pretty sharp to start with, but after conditioning for a couple of months its really smoothed out. Slightly spicy, floral and fair bit of malt up front. Amazing lacing (can't see it too well in the photo, but its what inspired me to get the camera out- perfectly spaced tide marks!) with a really dense, mousse like head. My wife designs my labels for me. Brewery is named after my dog, and she features on all the labels...

BB.JPG

Next is a belgian dubbel. My best beer to date. 6.1%, lots of stonefruit, bit of raisins. Super super smooth. Wax caps but no label... Been conditioning for a few months, and its getting better and better! Beautiful copper colour- purple in the glass, and a reddish maroon when held up to the light.

BD.JPG

Cheers,

Stef

Yeah, couldn't find the damn mobile, so the head was down (and the beer warm) by the time I got to photograph it. And I wasn't cracking open another bottle just to photograph again.

Like I said, the photo didn't do it the remotest bit of justice.

Goomba

Gosh, not sure I'm ready to grow hops yet. Not a single green thumb in my house! I'm also rather impatient... What a bummer they have been discontinued, the way you describe them they sound delicious. Still, I've been keen to try rye for the first time and I reckon the malt bill looks very great.

Just got to work out a hop substitution...

If you have weeds growing in your garden you can grow hops.

How do you test for AA%.

BTW - if I turned my attention to cultivating weeds, I'm sure I'd kill them as well. It's only that they know I don't want them there, that makes them grow. :)

Goomba

Yep, I feel the same way.

I'm planning on moving out in 5-6 months... How long does it take to grow and when should you plant?

Back