Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of an odd ball, this one. Acerola "Pale Ale" (for want of a better descriptor) with saison yeast and a glass of the same fruit.
ace.jpg
A big fruit whack first, followed by the saison effect. Thankfully the tartness is growing and starting to intergrate.
I'll take a magnum of it to StillScottish's tomorrow to see if its fit for Scottish consumption. B)

The normal Acerola beer will go down in a week or so.

Now that DOES look excellent TDA and in a very nice glass too. :super:
Anything special about the grain bill? What IBU?

T

Thanks TP :) . Pretty easy drinking in summer IMHO!

Here's the recipe:

Pommy IPA
English IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/10/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Mark Rasheed
Boil Size: 30.33 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 kg TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 100.0 %
43.00 gm Challenger [6.10%] (60 min) Hops 31.4 IBU
61.00 gm Challenger [6.10%] (15 min) Hops 11.9 IBU
61.00 gm Styrian Goldings [3.60%] (15 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
14.00 gm Challenger Plugs [6.10%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
14.00 gm Styrian Goldings [3.60%] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs British Cask Ale (Wyeast Labs #1026) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 50.2 IBU
Est Color: 10.6 EBC

Gotta say that the cask ale yeast has rocketed into one of my favourites.

C&B
TDA

Mild i brewed for the next Hunter Brew Club meet in a couple weeks.

very nice :)

HBCMild1152x1728.jpg

Another Dark Rider Dunkelweizen with all Saaz hops to 22.4 IBU.
I must say that installing a non-return valve to each of my beer lines in leiu of a more expensive manifold has worked well on the first test.
Ramped the carbonation up to 3.1 volumes to try things out & this has resulted in a much better carbonated Weizen. Will go the whole hog next time.

T
0106_Dark_Rider_Dunkelweizen_2.JPG

Another Dark Rider Dunkelweizen with all Saaz hops to 22.4 IBU.
I must say that installing a non-return valve to each of my beer lines in leiu of a more expensive manifold has worked well on the first test.
Ramped the carbonation up to 3.1 volumes to try things out & this has resulted in a much better carbonated Weizen. Will go the whole hog next time.

T
View attachment 35376

Chinese hops Pete? How do you find them in that brew?

Oh does Terri know you have a beer glass on her kitchen cabinet?

Batz

Chinese hops Pete? How do you find them in that brew?

Oh does Terri know you have a beer glass on her kitchen cabinet?

Batz

No Chink hops in this one Batz & I'm not too worried about the missus & her bench top because it's on the freezer. :lol:
You would really love this beer. I'll bottle a couple up from the keg just for you.

T

photo.jpg

Its a bit rainy and cool here, so perfect time to try my vanilla porter.

Appearance is quite dark, but there are some ruby highlights there.

Aroma is dominated by sweet vanilla, and backed up by notes of bittersweet chocolate.

The taste follows what the nose has discovered - vanilla, chocolate and hints of roast. No hop aroma or flavour to mention.

A very well balanced beer. Im very very happy with this one.

English IPA with centennial.

Simple recipe

98% TF FM MO
2% Bairds Pale Choc
Centennial at 60, 25, 10 and 0 to 54 IBU.
6.1% abv but dangerously drinkable.
Wyeast 1469

Focus is on the malt with a solid bitterness. I prefer English IPAs over AIPAs. The hop flavour and aroma is nice but subtle which is how i like this style.

No gelatine or polyclar in this one as i was lazy and figured time was on my side.

CentIPA.jpg

Looks good Mearesy, I want to make a vanilla porter now that the vanilla (made from proper beans and vodka) has aged for 6 months. The smell and taste is very nice, so much better than the store bought stuff :)

Looks similar to what I have planned DrSmurto, gotta love 1469 for dropping out nice and clear too! I have some Challenger / EKG here and some GP left just for an IPA, will also be using 1469 for a nice malty backbone.

Yea Tim I used vanilla beans for this too. One in my no-chill cube for 24hrs, and another in secondary for about a week. Worked great!

Belgian Blonde ale I brewed donkeys ages ago -- got really busy/lazy and its been in the primary since 21 of december .. much of that in the fridge lagering, so autolysis isn't an issue. But its certainly suffered from oxygen. Noticeable cardboard/paper. Which is a pity because underneath that... its probably the best belgian beer I have brewed.

A few things I learn from it...

long term - the plastic fermenter is no good for aging (like thats a new discovery genius :rolleyes: )
The fact that there was shitload of yeast present made no damn difference
Better try this again because it could have been really nice... and I have been off belgians for a decent period of time now

I'll drink it because stocks are low and its still OK in certain ways.. but I hate making a bad beer so I will feel a little dirty every time I take a sip.

TB

PS - thats a pretty looking beer Dr S - no need for the process aids, looks like the 1469 drops pretty damn bright without them !!

Shame about the Belgian Thirsty. :(

Yep, I don't even gelatine with 1469 these days, its great stuff for dropping bright just as is! The occasional batch has slight issues, but on the whole it performs admirably, tastes not bad too...

My Summer of Saaz...picture quality isn't good, but the beer is nice.

SNC00186.jpg

No picture as I'm out of battery till tomorrow:

Chappo's ESB - he handed me a bottle at BABBs on Thursday last.

Out of the keg obviously as not fizzy but knowing that, no probs. London style beers often strike Aussies and drinkers from the North and West of the UK as being a bit 'flat' so no problem there re evaluation.

Crystal clear, lovely deep copper colour. Little hop aroma. Chappo do you chill or cube? I was reading on a Pom forum about Styrians, that it's almost impossible to overdo Styrians as late hopping; if you are late hopping at the end of the boil before cubing then you are maybe working against yourself (and myself as I have found.) So if late hopping, I would tend to do that after the cube using dry hopping (plug in a teaball) or hop tea with plugs, or - here's an idea - hopping with a litre of finished wort boiled for another 10 minutes with fresh Styrians, transferred to a Schott Bottle, chilled overnight and then poured in on pitching :) - more than one way to skin the cat.

Malt, hop flavour and bitterness in Chappo's beer, a divine blend. Mate I would crawl all over a Youngs ESB for this beer - having said that I didn't notice much hop aroma with the commercial either but I did note a bit more alcohol 'heat' with Youngs and Fullers, that alcohol heat that goes up the back of the nose. I expect some sugaz would give that heat without having to up the malt and sweetness.

Was that a result of your Parti-gyle brew or a one off brew? Mate BABBs is going to give the Mexicans a serve this comp season B) B)

EEk sorry AndrewQLD, Batz, CB, Tidal et al, getting a bit parochial there :lol:

Kiwi pale, a fake lager cold fermented with Nottingham. Base malt plus polenta, sugaz, Green Bullet for bittering and Motueka for aroma. Noice.

KiwiPaleLarge.jpg

Almost polished off a long neck of this, and boy can I feel it! :huh:
Jake_007.jpg
Jake The Muss Imperial Pilsner
Brewed with mostly Joe White Pilsner malt, bit of munich, Caramalt, and a bit of sugar to get it into lahlah land territory....10.6%alc/vol
Besides that, this bad boy is hopped with way too many NZ varieties of hop to name, and is sitting at a mouth numbing bitterness of 98IBU.
The aroma is hugely resinous and the flavour is almost like drinking apricot and peach nectar straight, with an intense bitterness.
I'm quite happy the subtle way the malt interacts the rest of the flavours in the beer, there's a defined sweetness, yet balance, and it seems to disguise nothing but the huge alcohol percentage.
I think I named this beer appropriately. ;)

Almost polished off a long neck of this, and boy can I feel it! :huh:
View attachment 35459
Jake The Muss Imperial Pilsner
Brewed with mostly Joe White Pilsner malt, bit of munich, Caramalt, and a bit of sugar to get it into lahlah land territory....10.6%alc/vol
Besides that, this bad boy is hopped with way too many NZ varieties of hop to name, and is sitting at a mouth numbing bitterness of 98IBU.
The aroma is hugely resinous and the flavour is almost like drinking apricot and peach nectar straight, with an intense bitterness.
I'm quite happy the subtle way the malt interacts the rest of the flavours in the beer, there's a defined sweetness, yet balance, and it seems to disguise nothing but the huge alcohol percentage.
I think I named this beer appropriately. ;)

That looks awesome - resinous you say? :icon_drool2:

Back