Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first attempt at a simple cider.

20L of apple juice, rehydrated Safale US05, 1tsp of CaCl (thought it helped for yeast health and flocculation in beer so why not in a cider?!)

Pushed through my filter for a dramatic diamond bright appearance!

cheers! :icon_cheers:

You can use the hops growing in the background to make a Graff next time, Fourstar.

Looks the goods. The wishlist of brews just keeps getting bigger.

Crosstoberfest, made with Southern Cross hops
Young but tasting very nice.

oktoberfest.jpg

IMG_0280.JPG

My most bitter beer thus far.
Citrusy slightly sour with a salty after taste :blink:
It will be interesting how it develop over time if I can leave it alone LOL

Recipe on swedes plog as an adhoc partial

Did the apple juice have preservatives in it 4*?

I dont believe so, if it did i'd say it only had 200 or 220, sorbic acid or sulfur dioxide. It was that reconsitituited apple juice (98%~ from memory)

Either way i aerated the arse out of it (split the safety seal slightly and shook the butt out of the bottle it whilst filling the fermenter).

It attenuated very well, has no fermentation faults to the nose and tastes great. The simplest cider recipe on here used Aldi apple juice so i didnt even hesitiate to look for preservatives or inhibitors. For a grand total of $24 bucks for yeast, juice and a touch of CaCl to end up with a keg of the stuff is great!

Will surely be doing another in the near future. Especially with the hot summer days coming up soon!

Whats CaCl? Calcium something im assuming?

Quite interested, I may have to do something similair, looks easy as! I wonder if id have flocculation issues without a filter tho?

Whats CaCl? Calcium something im assuming?
Quite interested, I may have to do something similair, looks easy as! I wonder if id have flocculation issues without a filter tho?

Calcium Chloride, i used it to aid in yeast health as i didnt have nutrient. I dont know if its detrimental to cider flavours but mine tastes good!

I'd say flocculation could be an issue as mine was still rather cloudy after a week in the fermenter. I guess if you can crash chill you might be in safer waters to get her to drop bright. Atleast when its filtered its nice and clean on the palate immediatly and no need for allowing nature to take its couse over the space of several weeks.

no... table salt is sodium chloride... NaCl

Cackle (as opposed to Nackle) is good in light coloured ales - I always seem to get diamond bright beers when I use it in Yorkies and summer ales. I'm even tempted to put it in lagers .... :ph34r: :ph34r:

Cackle (as opposed to Nackle) is good in light coloured ales - I always seem to get diamond bright beers when I use it in Yorkies and summer ales. I'm even tempted to put it in lagers .... :ph34r: :ph34r:

WTF is cackle bribie?

I knew I shouldve paid more attention in science classes :huh:

I posted this in recipe DB six weeks in the keg and it is a cracker, one of my best. Unfortunately I only have around five litres left "sigh". Although I named it a English southern brown on a US-05 yeast and I know Bribie disagrees it is very much like a London ale from what I can remember. This is definitely a very tasty Dinner Ale as it seems to go with just about anything

View attachment 32792

View attachment 32793

A mild malty character with caramel notes. hoppy on the back palate and strong aroma of Styrian in the empty glass

:icon_cheers:

I just had a taste of my RyePA which was kegged and carbed a couple of days ago, its nowhere near ready but man, its pretty savage, an insane bitterness which just lingers in a way that only chinook can :icon_drool2: I cant wait for the malt flavours to start coming through to balance it out a wee bit, not that it will, its a 3.4% beer with over 100 IBUs :ph34r:

Toucan Stout. About 3 months in the bottle and it's getting nicer and nicer....
Not lawnmower beer but ohhhh so nice.....

DSCF2607.JPG

Here is a beer I made for my old man's 70 birthday. I shouted him over to the goldy and made this. 70 stubbies ( one for every year ) 15 gram galaxy, US05. First try of it today and he arrives next Monday. Very pleased with it. No where as hoppy as I like them but very nice. He'll love it.

DSC_00394.jpg

DSC_00393.jpg

Latest posts

Back