Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's awesome. Let us know how it goes down with your old bloke.

Old fella gone home now. The beer was a winner and the whole lot was polished off in 6 days. Christ he can drink as good as me even at 70 :lol: Mind you he comes from a place were 18 deg is a stinking hot day and here he was with me in 35 and up to 38 deg outside for hours on end whilst I worked away doing my usual rounds. He wanted to come with me and the wife to work even in that heat. By the time we got home he was a guzzling machine :huh:

The beer itself was a fantastic quaffer as it was lightly hopped, clean and refreshing. I'm so glad I didn't beef up the % and kept it about 4% because the bottles were being downed thick and fast.

Will drink again A++.

I'm in love with this beer, it's the first time I've brewed it but it's going to be a staple here.

View attachment 33293

It's sort of based on an Irish red but with US finishing hops, I think Screwy posted a similar brew, so that's probably where my inspiration came from.
I must say it went down very well with the Kin Kiners last night anyway.

Photo taken today with Kin Kin the driest I have seen, tank water is at an all time low here.

Batz

Dry! Fark! Everythings bloody green! Any chance of the recipe Batz?
Cheers
Steve

Awesome job, Cube.

What's in my glass? My first bottle of my first AG - Fruit Salad Pale Ale. No pic as it looks awful. The recent heatwave didn't seem to have ruined it as I'd worried about. Smells amazing (Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo, Galaxy) and even at 2 weeks tastes a lot better than anything I've ever made before. Really must invest in some Whirfloc.

Awesome job, Cube.

What's in my glass? My first bottle of my first AG - Fruit Salad Pale Ale. No pic as it looks awful. The recent heatwave didn't seem to have ruined it as I'd worried about. Smells amazing (Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo, Galaxy) and even at 2 weeks tastes a lot better than anything I've ever made before. Really must invest in some Whirfloc.

OT slightly but I had the same problem as you keeping temp down recently using similar methods. The best trick I've found is a wet towel over the whole fermenter in addition to regularly rotated frozen PET bottles and ice bricks. Towel should be partly in the water so the moisture wicks.

Since doing this maintaining temp is a cinch (usually only requires 2 x 2 L frozen bottles rotated daily).

In the glass is my first AG hefe. No pics as it looks like a hefe and taking pics is a pain in the bum at the moment.

Next up Noble Hopped pale ale:

Type: All grain
Size: 22 liters
Colour: 7 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness: 30 IBU
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.2% v/v (4.1% w/w)

Grain:

2kg JW Pilsner
500g JW Wheat malt
500g JW Munich
2kg JW ale
100g JW light crystal

Mash: 60 mins, 70% efficiency 64 deg
Boil: 60 minutes
SG 1.033 Pre-boil volume: 34 liters

Hops:

20g Hallertauer (4.25% AA, 60 min.)
15g Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
10g Hallertauer (4.25% AA, 20 min.)
10g Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 20 min.)
10g Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 10 min.)
10g Tettnanger (aroma)

Yeast: US 05
Primary, secondary and cold conditioned. Fined with gelatine, primed to around 2.4

OT slightly but I had the same problem as you keeping temp down recently using similar methods. The best trick I've found is a wet towel over the whole fermenter in addition to regularly rotated frozen PET bottles and ice bricks. Towel should be partly in the water so the moisture wicks.

Since doing this maintaining temp is a cinch (usually only requires 2 x 2 L frozen bottles rotated daily).

Yep. Exactly what I do. Works a treat. I reckon you could even do a lager. :D

I'm a little drunk, so feel free to ignore me, but in case you wanted to know, the effect of moisture "wicking" up the towel is called "capillary action" :icon_drunk:

Bloody hot here at the moment.
Thankfully the current batch of hefe is up and running, mind you it has to be drunk fast before it evapourates.
weiz.jpg
I'd better brew another batch before Xmas, this is going to empty quick.

Its my Port Stouts one year anniversary in the bottle, I havnt had a bottle in a good 4+ months so I think its timely that I have one now ;) (sorry Jo, ill drink your BW tomorrow)

Pours slightly overcarbed with a thick compact tan head, aroma is so complex, first I get whisky, then dark berries and fruits, a very port like aroma in there with some oxidisation which is actually IMO quite appropriate, the slightest hints of coffee and roast but oh so subtle... On the palate is a flavour explosion, porty grapes, prunes, blackberries, coffee, chocolate, I cant taste the oak but im assuming that it, combined with the extra fermentation over time, is responsible for this beer finishing immensely dry with roasted notes... Yuuuuuuuum!!! :icon_drool2:

Crosstoberfest.
Oktoberfest with Southern Cross hops.
I've posted this before but today I decided to rechristen the Oktoberfest stein :)

oktoberfeststein.jpg

Its my Port Stouts one year anniversary in the bottle, I havnt had a bottle in a good 4+ months so I think its timely that I have one now ;) (sorry Jo, ill drink your BW tomorrow)

Pours slightly overcarbed with a thick compact tan head, aroma is so complex, first I get whisky, then dark berries and fruits, a very port like aroma in there with some oxidisation which is actually IMO quite appropriate, the slightest hints of coffee and roast but oh so subtle... On the palate is a flavour explosion, porty grapes, prunes, blackberries, coffee, chocolate, I cant taste the oak but im assuming that it, combined with the extra fermentation over time, is responsible for this beer finishing immensely dry with roasted notes... Yuuuuuuuum!!!

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

Reminds me that I've been meaning to add port to a stout for a while now.... <_<

Here is an all Challenger ESB enjoyed by a few local brewers today :icon_drool2:

Good to see all you SA legends today! B)

C&B
TDA

HandpumpESB.jpg

abcweiss.jpg

65% wheat, 35% Vienna. WLP300.

Happily I detected no hint of kecap manis in the beer.

Hilarious! and ive been throwing these out. Didnt even click to use them as a beer bottle!

Looks to me like the standard 620ml SE Asian beer bottle put to an alternative use. I gave it a thorough clean, then put it in a bucket for bottle conditioning just to make sure it could take the pressure. As you can see, passed with flying colours. I might cook up some yummy char kway teow with the contents of one, while sipping on the contents of the other. Perfect match.

I might cook up some yummy char kway teow with the contents of one, while sipping on the contents of the other. Perfect match.

Looks like my leftover Hinanese chicken from last night is being eaten for lunch tomorrow instead. char kway teow.... :icon_drool2:

Back