Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just kegged an Octoberfest after 3 weeks in the primary. About to lager but made the mistake of tasting it - absolutely amazing flavours. Can only wonder how good it will be after lagering. Unfortunately It probably won't last long enough for me to find out.
icon_drool2.gif
Had about 3 glasses already...must stop...

With all the talk a while ago about creating new australian styles, i decided to give an Aussie Wheat Beer a go. I got myself a bag of BB wheat malt as an extra in a "comunity purchase" for a good price and im very impressed with the results.

And if i hear anyone else say 5% wheat malt makes a beer hazy.................. :p

I used around 60% wheat, Golden Promise and about 4% JW caramalt.
I Also utaliset the same basic hopping schedule as used im my LCBA clone beer but used B-SAAZ and NZ Halertau aroma flowers for a more spicy floral character than citrus.

The result is stunning!

One of the best beers i have ever made!

Edit: I love this glass. My surname is Moy and when i saw it on evilbay in belgium i payed good money to get it here :)

AussieWheatBeer832x1248.jpg

I Also utaliset the same basic hopping schedule as used im my LCBA clone beer but used B-SAAZ and NZ Halertau aroma flowers for a more spicy floral character than citrus.

The result is stunning!

Looks great tony! Did you use a weizen yeast/lager or a clean ale? Good work with the caramalt! :icon_drool2:

US-05 folks!

I wanted to use 1272 American ale 2 but it didnt fire in time.

I love the way the hop flowers make the beer creamy and soft. Its a seriously nice beer.

Now to polish off the keg of Bitter before this one is on tap. That glass was just a sample keg checker :)

cheers

US-05 folks!
I wanted to use 1272 American ale 2 but it didnt fire in time.
I love the way the hop flowers make the beer creamy and soft. Its a seriously nice beer.
Now to polish off the keg of Bitter before this one is on tap. That glass was just a sample keg checker :)
cheers

Awesome, what are your thoughts on 1272? Ive got an APA firing on it aATM, it floccs out beautifully with a mere 24 hours of crash chilling my starter. The starter tasted quite good from the pour off too. no hops of course but i used the final L of runnings from my mash tun @1.030. it seem slightly fruity, was started @ around 18 deg. So you find this to usually be the case Tony or does it ferments as clean as 1056 at those temps?

My fermenation crawl space smells awesome atm either way!

It definatly has more character! I find it gives a slightly fruity, sweet, nutty finish the the beer. It makes a more interesting beer than US-05 and is fairly clean, not as fruity as an english yeast but as i said...... more character than US-05.

I love the stuff and will use it over US-05 but keep US-05 in the fridge for when i need it in a pinch.

cheers

My first attempt at a stout, it's only been in the bottle for a week but already nicely balanced. Hits the spot on these cool nights!
stout.jpg

With all the talk a while ago about creating new australian styles, i decided to give an Aussie Wheat Beer a go. I got myself a bag of BB wheat malt as an extra in a "comunity purchase" for a good price and im very impressed with the results.

And if i hear anyone else say 5% wheat malt makes a beer hazy.................. :p

The result is stunning!

One of the best beers i have ever made!

Edit: I love this glass. My surname is Moy and when i saw it on evilbay in belgium i payed good money to get it here :)

AussieWheatBeer832x1248.jpg

Now that looks great Tony, and how about your own Brewery Glass, now that is something. An Australian New Age Weizen, good on you :icon_cheers:

Screwy

It definatly has more character! I find it gives a slightly fruity, sweet, nutty finish the the beer. It makes a more interesting beer than US-05 and is fairly clean, not as fruity as an english yeast but as i said...... more character than US-05.
I love the stuff and will use it over US-05 but keep US-05 in the fridge for when i need it in a pinch.
cheers

Sweet, yeah thats what i tasted in my starter and also in my reading today. 1.026 down from 1.050 since satruday. working quickly at low temps too (16-17 deg). i read on the website that flocculation was decent, i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw it. my 1968 ESB wasnt this bright that early after a 24 hour crash chill! not to mention it doenst look like egg ribbons in my starter either. very nice yeast indeed!

Pliny the Eldar clone, def getting a hold on my clarity issues :icon_cheers:

Pliny1.JPG

Pliny the Eldar clone, def getting a hold on my clarity issues :icon_cheers:

Not that ive ever had a pliny, i always assumed it was a deep copper to amber to backup those hops! Looks decent either way! What ABV/IBU did you get out of this bad boy?

My first attempt at a stout, it's only been in the bottle for a week but already nicely balanced. Hits the spot on these cool nights!
View attachment 28903

If it's anywhere near as good as the Choc Porter you put in the case swap then it's nectar.

Currently sampling my very first proper UK Mild brewed with guidance from the Venerable Butters:

mild.JPG

Not that ive ever had a pliny, i always assumed it was a deep copper to amber to backup those hops! Looks decent either way! What ABV/IBU did you get out of this bad boy?

I actually did a side by side with the read deal and colour was spot on, carapils being the main specialty malt used... ABV was about 7.3% and IBUs are apparantly 256 but its soooooo damn drinkable :icon_drool2:

A Rootin Saison with stinky cheese
rootin.jpg

bloody lurverly :icon_cheers:

A Rootin Saison with stinky cheese

Pure Bliss :icon_drool2:

Batz

Is the recipe in the database Winkle?

Looks great.

:) Sorry mate. I will drop a bit of mud in to cloud it up and some olive oil to kill the head next time.

Its a great beer. My brother tried one on friday night and said its the kind of beer you can slam down easily if need be, but can also sit back and enjoy slowly.

Its dry and crisp, with that fluffy spicy wheat character but also has a wonderful buttery mouth feel and rich hop aroma from the NZ Hallertau Aroma flowers. What a great hop!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back