Whats In The Glass Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez that looks the guts bindi :chug: do you filter ?

any chance of the recipe ?

Cheers

Yard

No filter came close to this one, thanks Yardy. :p
Recipe..... ;) Just between you and me.

Thanks Punter, thats a pretty hard act to follow :p

My first decent lager with german malt and the swiss 189 yeast

lager.jpg

cider.JPG
Just went for something a little different after a trip to the big Dan's
Got this (very nice), a can of Scrumpys (yum), Grand Ridge Moonshine + Grand Ridge Hatlifter Stout.
Quiet night at home.

FROGMAN...........

View attachment 13533
Just went for something a little different after a trip to the big Dan's
Got this (very nice), a can of Scrumpys (yum), Grand Ridge Moonshine + Grand Ridge Hatlifter Stout.
Quiet night at home.

FROGMAN...........

ohhhh ohhh

my lecturer at uni bought some of that.. because its actual Cider like proper n stuff.. not like Strongbow n Mercury

AAA just put on tap, a little darker then my usual but nice.
Will clear in a day or two, moving it from CC to the bar stirred it up a little as this was not forced carbed before CC, I will try and post a photo in a few days when it's clears, and it will. :)

Amber_web.jpg

Hefe Hefe Hefe!

I told the Mrs that I'd only have a couple tonight...may as well make them bigguns :rolleyes:

IMG_2617__Large_.JPG

Recipe is based on a Schneider Weisse Clone I dug up and adapted slightly. Will try to find it...?

My first attempt at a Kolsch.
mmm,, this is one very nice beer :chug:
Very easy to drink, will definitely be making this again very soon. :beerbang:
ebay3001.jpg

It looks as though Punter has left us with this great photograph of his beautiful looking Kolsch and scarpered!
Come back and tell us about your recipe. I am very keen to know what yeast you used.

The last time I brewed a Kolsch I used the Wyeast 2565 Klsch Yeast and I was extremely disappointed with the the flocculation and clarity of the final beer.

Regards,
Lindsay.

The last time I brewed a Kolsch I used the Wyeast 2565 Klsch Yeast and I was extremely disappointed with the the flocculation and clarity of the final beer.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Lindsay, Kolsch yeasts nearly always require filtration, unless you have plenty of patience :)

2565 Klsch Yeast.
Probable origin: Cologne, Germany
Beer Styles: Traditional American use - Klsch, Fruit beers, Light pseudo lagers
Commercial examples may include: Kess, Paffgen, Muhlen
Unique properties: True top cropping yeast similar to Alt strains. Produces slightly more fruity/winey characteristics. Fruitiness increases with temperature increase. Low or no detectable diacetyl production. Also ferments well at cold 55-60 F range, (13-16 C). Used to produce quick conditioning pseudo lager beers. Poor flocculating yeast requires filtration to produce bright beers or additional settling time. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (56-70 F, 13-21 C)

Edit: Fantastic picture Punter - If it tastes even half as good as it looks, it's a winner :super:

cheers Ross

Lindsay, Kolsch yeasts nearly always require filtration, unless you have plenty of patience :)

2565 Klsch Yeast.
Probable origin: Cologne, Germany
Beer Styles: Traditional American use - Klsch, Fruit beers, Light pseudo lagers
Commercial examples may include: Kess, Paffgen, Muhlen
Unique properties: True top cropping yeast similar to Alt strains. Produces slightly more fruity/winey characteristics. Fruitiness increases with temperature increase. Low or no detectable diacetyl production. Also ferments well at cold 55-60 F range, (13-16 C). Used to produce quick conditioning pseudo lager beers. Poor flocculating yeast requires filtration to produce bright beers or additional settling time. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (56-70 F, 13-21 C)

Edit: Fantastic picture Punter - If it tastes even half as good as it looks, it's a winner :super:

cheers Ross

Thanks for that Ross, I am aware of the inherent problems with the 2565 and Wyeast are not hiding anything when they inform you of the yeasts properties and the problems with flocculation etc.
I have had better results with WLP029, no need to filter and settles crystal clear. I know that you have checked to see if I have purchased a filter system from you:)

Unfortunately, we can't buy too many true Kolsch style beers here to stack our beers up against.
There is also a fair bit of confusion amongst our brewers here regarding the grain bill for a true Kolsch Style beer. I can remember a stoush some time ago regarding the use of Cara Pils in a Kolsch.

I recently had lunch at a Restaurant and was lucky enough to order and drink a www.reissdorf.de Kolsch. It was not as good as I anticipated it should have been, but then again, it may be the ducks guts of Kolsch's.

Punter's Kolsch would have to taste good......beers that look that good........

Regards,
Lindsay.

Lindsay,

Have you tried Redoaks Kolsch. We had the good fortune to try it at a recent beer lunch, it's a great drop - won a gold medal from memory...
One of our brew club memebers brought some fresh draft Kolsch back with him from Germany, not sure who the brewery was, but it was fantastic.

cheers Ross

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
The yeast was WLP 029, and yes it was filtered.
Its a pretty tasty beer :p , but for the next one
I might try it without the Munich and just use straight pils
to see the difference.
Heres the recipe for those interested. Its one i've pinched
from Jamil.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.87 L
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 7.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.92 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Aus (3.5 EBC) Grain 85.4 %
0.44 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 9.6 %
0.23 kg Wheat Malt (3.0 EBC) Grain 5.0 %
40.50 gm Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
16.00 gm Tettnang [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.22 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

I just used a single infusion at 65*, no step or decoction

My first attempt at a Kolsch.
mmm,, this is one very nice beer :chug:
Very easy to drink, will definitely be making this again very soon. :beerbang:
ebay3001.jpg

That is the nicest looking home brew I have ever seen....

How did you get such clarity?

That is the nicest looking home brew I have ever seen....

How did you get such clarity?
Cheers bear09, the beer was filtered, thats why its so clear.

Thats a tasty looking wheaty there yardy :chug:

True Kolsch ( ie actually made in Cologne, Germany ; "Kolsch" means of or from Cologne in German ) is perhaps the cleanest of clean beers. I had the pleasure of living in Cologne from age 16 to 17, so the first beer I ever tried was this, ON TAP .

Also another interesting point is that there are about 20 different types of Kolsch made in Cologne. They all taste different, some are slightly sweeter, some are quite bitter, some are extremely pale and served in a tall thin glass. Some have more of an amber hue , served in a stemmed glass. The best ones IMHO were Fruh, Kuppers and Gaffel.

Of course coming back to Australia after all this time drinking German beer and thinking all beer tasted this good, I got a shock when I tasted my first VB.

I have only seen one Koslch-style ( it ain't real kolsch if it isn't made by a licensed brewer in cologne ) beer in oz and that was a microbrewed beer at the Wig and Pen, Canberra. It was called Kamberra Kolsch.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
The yeast was WLP 029, and yes it was filtered.
Its a pretty tasty beer :p , but for the next one
I might try it without the Munich and just use straight pils
to see the difference.
Heres the recipe for those interested. Its one i've pinched
from Jamil.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.87 L
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 7.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.92 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Aus (3.5 EBC) Grain 85.4 %
0.44 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 9.6 %
0.23 kg Wheat Malt (3.0 EBC) Grain 5.0 %
40.50 gm Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
16.00 gm Tettnang [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.22 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) Yeast-Ale

I just used a single infusion at 65*, no step or decoction

Punter, have brewed a very similar grain bill, used a step 50, 60, 70 and WLP029 and had real attenuation problems. Fermented at 16 it only came down from 1.049 to 1.020. Did your Klsch attenuate well with the single 65 Sacc rest, and is it dry according to style? Sure looks great in any case.

Lindsay,
Have you tried Redoaks Kolsch. We had the good fortune to try it at a recent beer lunch, it's a great drop - won a gold medal from memory...
One of our brew club memebers brought some fresh draft Kolsch back with him from Germany, not sure who the brewery was, but it was fantastic.

cheers Ross

The Redoak Klsch was fantastic, such great balance in such a delicate style, Dave Hollyoak really nailled this one. Had some other pretty good beers also esp the Belgian Bitter Chocolate Stout, Yum.

Couldn't get the taste of his stout out of my mind, fresh on the heels of a recent Emmersons Bourbon Porter experience I brewed a Baltic Porter with 500g of choc malt a couple of days later. It's at 9.7% ABV at present, don't know if I should add Bourbon to this monster, what do others think.

Screwy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back