Whats In The Glass Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its being a while since I last looked in this thread....some beautiful looking beers and recipes everyone....I would now like to go home and have a beer :chug:
Cheers
Steve

Quarter Session Bitter, from the Pale Ale Classic Beer Style series of books.
Mashed a little low, so it's a bit on the dry/bland side :angry:
vienna_003.jpg

Cheers
Andrew

HEre is my chocky porter i have on tap.

It was made as a tooheys old clone with more malt, a bit more hops and about 5.2% ABV

Its bloody nice...... my brother and i were both OLD drinkers before i started home brewing and a heavy sesion on this on saturday night has meft us saying this is a top beer.

ITs old but better.

Smooth maltyness, subtle choc hints with a finnishing sweetness from a bit of crystal

ballance is great from malt to hops, sweetness to bitterness.

too easy to drink

I will stick the recipe in the recipe section

cheers

Brown_porter.jpg

That looks and sounds great Tony. I'm really loving my black beers at the moment. Never thought
I'd be saying that 10 years ago! My father in law was an avid Tooheys old drinker as well, until
Hunter old came around. Now its nothing but hunter old and the Schwarzbier I make him.
Look forward to the recipe. Will have to try it out.

I tried the hunter old on tap at the QUeens Warfe Brewery in newcastle a few months back and it was a bloody nice beer. very close to mine actually. more malt and body and more chocolate character and body than old

I dont know if its my taste buds or tooheys ripping me off but tooheys old just doesnt seem to be what it used to be 10 years back

Its more like tooheys new with some caramel colour to darken it. its thinner and ...... well its not a black ale any more. Its a dark lager i recon.

My oldman (justy retired from tooheys from 30 years service) reocon the recipe is the same and its me but i question that.

anyway.... back to the porter.

here is my recipe.

I think it turned out a few IBU's less as the hop sock was in need of a good clean and wasnt flowing so well.

probably droped by 5 IBU

here it is

brown porter

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 55.00 Wort Size (L): 55.00
Total Grain (kg): 11.30
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.88
Anticipated EBC: 41.7
Anticipated IBU: 36.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 81 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
88.5 10.00 kg. IMC Ale Malt Australia 1.038 4
5.3 0.60 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 100
4.4 0.50 kg. TF Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 900
1.8 0.20 kg. Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 1.034 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
120.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.30 23.9 45 min.
16.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Whole 9.60 6.5 45 min.
30.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.30 3.9 20 min.
30.00 g. Willamette Pellet 4.30 1.3 5 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 1.0 5 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP005 British Ale

I will put the recipe here in corect forn cause the recipe section will say the hops are 4.2900004040004040400040400040403042039409827349875-918324609857-192834 % AA :p

cheers

I will put the recipe here in corect forn cause the recipe section will say the hops are 4.2900004040004040400040400040403042039409827349875-918324609857-192834 % AA :p
you mean your LHBS doesnt give you AA ratings to 25 decimal places? bah! the quality of shops is slipping :p

Quarter Session Bitter, from the Pale Ale Classic Beer Style series of books.
Mashed a little low, so it's a bit on the dry/bland side :angry:
View attachment 13636

Cheers
Andrew

Where did you find that bottle of Suffolk Strong Andrew? I was living off that stuff when I was in England a few years ago. Even there it wasn't easy to find...

That looks and sounds great Tony. I'm really loving my black beers at the moment. Never thought
I'd be saying that 10 years ago! My father in law was an avid Tooheys old drinker as well, until
Hunter old came around. Now its nothing but hunter old and the Schwarzbier I make him.
Look forward to the recipe. Will have to try it out.

Hi Punter,
Looks likes it's not just clothes & music styles that get recycled.

The Stag & Hunter, Mayfield, Newcastle used to sell Toohey's 'Hunter Old' 20 yrs ago.
That's what Old was called when in the Hunter.

Rgds,
Peter

Where did you find that bottle of Suffolk Strong Andrew? I was living off that stuff when I was in England a few years ago. Even there it wasn't easy to find...

My mum lives in England and sent it over a couple of years ago, very nice drop from what I can remember.

Cheers
Andrew

i'm pretty sure Dan murphys stock it.

cheers Ross

Where'd you score that stout?
Mike

Hey Mike, Grain & Grape (Melbourne) stock most of Emerson's range. Just as exciting is their array of Unibroue beers....

The Emerson's costs around $8 though!

i'm pretty sure Dan murphys stock it.

cheers Ross

I have a feeling First Choice might have some at the moment too.

I wouldn't like to be quoted on that though...

Swiss Nelson Pils

m_f45f65b3767750dc4aaa6b048f4aace3.jpg

Wey pils malt and a little carapils.
Super Alpha and Nelson hops
Dried Swiss yeast S-189.
Poly and filter.
6 months to lager.
2- 3 weeks to disappear.

- Luke

Swiss Nelson Pils

m_f45f65b3767750dc4aaa6b048f4aace3.jpg

Wey pils malt and a little carapils.
Super Alpha and Nelson hops
Dried Swiss yeast S-189.
Poly and filter.
6 months to lager.
2- 3 weeks to disappear.

- Luke

On my second lager using this brilliant yeast, it's so clean and well behaved, fires up in hours @ 10C

My 'Belgian Far Cup'
A ..ahem... Belgian Strong Ale (I won't say what it was supposed to be).
It would take a post of PP proportions to describe what went wrong during the production of this beer but at the end its sticky, tasty and alcoholic so all well I suppose.
View attachment 13705

Probably on tap for the next few weeks.
edit: good to see this beer causing hassels to the end.

Here's my first attempt at cider. The easiest thing I've ever brewed - apple juice, yeast nutrient and yeast. 3 weeks later, this...

cider.jpg

'tis a sexy looking chalice. I reckon it'd look better full of a strong belgian of some sort though B)

It sucks working weekends :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back