Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the urbock (depending on my mood it is my favourite beer in the world), the marzen is very nice, absolutely hate the weizen. Looking forward to the Doppelbock - this one is smoked with oak instead of beechwoord. Can;t wait to see how that changes the smoke character.

As for having a batch of it, I'm going to have a crack at the supposed Urbock grain bill next brewday. 99% smoked (using Best, not Weyermann) and 1% something for colour.

I was in a bar that used them in the States late last year and have been umming and ahhing over ordering some from North Coast's webpage ever since. Only ended up costing $2 then the webpage price (before postage) and didn;t have to worry about postie damage.

There aren't many things better in the world than drinking Schlenkerla on gravity at the rustic Brewery tap in Bamberg. Except one or two other Bamberg taverns - which is why it is the best beer related place on earth (for me anyway!).

Heh. I thought you were pouring by the pint and gulping it down as a quaffer. Hard to tell ... lol, that side of the country.

just @ potters brewery enjoying my 3rd Cranky pants IPA... i suppose there may be worse ways to while away a Sunday afternoon....

cranky.JPG

beer_166193.jpg beer_160116.jpg

Had both of these the other night from Dan's and both were absolutely delicious.

KPA has delicious biscuit malt flavours and the Bohemian Ale tastes just as you'd want for the description... Straddling the fence of ale and lager.

The Kiwi's do it well.

YUUUUMMMM

There aren't many things better in the world than drinking Schlenkerla on gravity at the rustic Brewery tap in Bamberg. Except one or two other Bamberg taverns - which is why it is the best beer related place on earth (for me anyway!).
Foles me SWMBO and the young fella are planning to get to Bamberg next Sept im in love with Bamberg Smoked beers!!

Foles me SWMBO and the young fella are planning to get to Bamberg next Sept im in love with Bamberg Smoked beers!!

Can't think of a better place to holiday with the young one in tow! It an undiscovered gem - doesn't get many tourist from outside Germany - hence its cheap, not tacky and beautiful (the whole centre is UNESCO Heritage listed).

Baird Ganko Oyaji - SWMBO was highly amused when I told here the name of this beer translates to "stubborn old man". Aroma is sweet sherry, caramel, zest/rind. Drinks about the same with some dark fruitiness. Alc fairly well hidden. Finishes pretty dry for a barleywine. Seems like an English style barleywine made with (largely) US hops (i.e. the hop character is probably a bit low for it the be a US example and the malt seems like they are going for more of the English style). Yet another really nice beer from Baird.

Mikkeller 1000IBU - Never had this one before as I've only ever seen it in the large bottle and I haven't been interested enough to try what I presumed was a fairly gimmicky beer at that price (+$40). The stubbie I found didn't present better value but the price of entry was low enough that curisoity got the better of me.

Yes, this beer is very bitter but not in the same way that I'm used to in DIPAs or in the harsh way that bad ones can be. That's not to say it is pleasant. At all. But it isn't harsh like I imagined it would be. Very firm up front and fades extremely quickly (except for in intense puckering in the front of the mouth - there's not really any back-palate linger). Low level aroma of hops-ish and some nice malt. Flavour is nothing but bitterness. Glad I got it to try it but will never buy another one again.

Schlenkerla Fiche
Apparently I can't read gothic fonts...

Schlenkerla Eiche - Interesting beer. I'm a pretty big fan of their urbock and marzen. This is the first time I've seen this beer in a shop so I grabbed a couple. Where the others are cured-meaty in the aroma this one is all coals, possibly tending slightly to ash. Flavour is much the same but with the base beer being much sweeter than is my preference. Also a very slight Chinese medicine flavour up-front. Better than I'm making it sound. Interesting but not a patch on the urbock and marzen (still better than their horrendous wheaty though).

just @ potters brewery enjoying my 3rd Cranky pants IPA... i suppose there may be worse ways to while away a Sunday afternoon....

View attachment 55530
stopped at potters on sat morning, it was close enough to midday....i think cranky pants is a delicious beer!
great place in general, got some bottles to take away. 2IC brewer was good for a chat about beers, it was great to meet a female passionate about brewing.
highly recommend visiting.

I was at Slowbeer yesterday and had a Hoptimum on tap. It was pretty good i thought. You can't taste that it's 10.5%, must have been a cold, well pitched and aerated ferment, I actually thought it was pretty balanced all up for a 100IBU 10.5% beer. Maybe it was a bit cold. Also tried the other 3 on tap, they did 200mL of each which made it easier. The Bright Red was the standout I reckon.

Got a Palate Wrecker and the Brewdog IPA is Dead HBC to take away. Should have got some more, but would just have to cart more back to sydney.

Heretic Evil Cousin - Really nice. Not sure I agree with their own press about this beer and how "big and aggressive" it is. It seems like it is aimed where West Coast AIPAs start to me. Having said that, it is a really easy drinking beer without feeling like any punches have necessarily been pulled. A really tidy beer.

Heretic Evil Cousin - Really nice. Not sure I agree with their own press about this beer and how "big and aggressive" it is. It seems like it is aimed where West Coast AIPAs start to me. Having said that, it is a really easy drinking beer without feeling like any punches have necessarily been pulled. A really tidy beer.
Just looked at their webpage again. There's no way this beer is 100IBU. Too dry (by AIPA standards) for it to be malt covering it up. I think they need to get their hand off it.

Still a really nice beer, but.

Just looked at their webpage again. There's no way this beer is 100IBU. Too dry (by AIPA standards) for it to be malt covering it up. I think they need to get their hand off it.

Still a really nice beer, but.

I found it a bit thin - almost like there wasnt enough backbone to support the hops - and it seemed like a hop "mirage", the footprint was there but the real thing wasn't. It was lighter in body than most pilsners.....

I'm finding the carb a little lively for my tastes - I wonder if that is contributing there? I'm definitely getting the US crystal thing but, as I say, at the bottom end for style, IMO. So I wouldn't say it was inherently light bodied - it is chewier than some local stouts I've had.

I can see why most people (even fans of US beers) might want to see it further balanced to the malt but I'm finding this beer isn't drinking like the beer they describe - although I am finding it more enjoyable than it seems you did. I'm fairly sure I'm having this one significantly later than most others have - I wonder if a bit of fading has done this beer some favours? Can't say it smells like it is particularly faded though - but having nothing to compare it against makes it hard to say.

It can't be fading much at all, since it's only been in the country for 2 months (which would likely make it less then 6 months old, which is roughly the turn-a-round for most IPA's/DIPA's).

IMAG0311.jpg

Latest random selection from Warners at the Bay. Chosen mostly for the pretty labels although some were specifically selected.

I wanted to grab a tactical nuclear penguin but didn't realise how much it cost! Wow.

Hope there's a couple of winners in there. Really looking forward to the SN Torpedo, Pils Urqell
, and Hobgoblin.

Had a Murray's 2IPA from Murrays after picking this lot up & thought it was very nice.

Latest posts

Back